Bikes have been the favorite of mountaineers and explorers alike. Everyone likes to feel the freedom that comes along with a bike. They take a bike into the mountains. The cold wind rushing on the face. No sounds around you but the sound of the engine humming. People feel like on top of the world!
Harley-Davidson is a major motor-bike company originally launched in the US. It was launched in 1903 and it is said to be one of the companies that survive the great depression.
883 and 1200 Sportster are models of bikes by Harley Davidson.
883 Sportster vs 1200 Sportster
The difference between 883 and 1200 Sportster is that 883 Sportster has spoke wheels whereas the 1200 Sportster has alloy wheels. Spoke wheels can be used for off-road, bumpy riding because of their shock-absorbing properties. On the other hand, alloy wheels are light-weight and don’t fare well in bumpy, offroad conditions.
Moreover, The Sportster model was introduced in 1957.
Comparison Table Between 883 and 1200 Sportster
|Parameter of Comparison||883 Sportster (iron)||1200 Sportster (custom)|
|Engine||Air-cooled, evolution||Air-cooled, evolution|
|Wheel size||Front- 406.4 mm Rear- 406.4 mm||Front- 482.6 mmRear- 406.4 mm|
|Engine cc||1202 cc||883 cc|
|Ground clearance||140 mm||105 mm|
What is 883 Sportster?
883 Sportster is a series of bikes by Hardley Davidson. The bike is distributed in India with the help of Hero Motor corp. Hero and Hardley ventured together into the Indian market. The 883 Sportster is also known as Iron 883. The speculation is that Harley gave it a new name but did not actively deny the ‘Sportster’ tag associated with it.
The 883 edges towards the high-end motorcycles. The 883 Sportster’s cost is high for a motorcycle. The price tag is high for the average Indian. In the U.S.A, the 883 is considered to be cheap and an easy way to get a Harley bike for yourself.
The 883 Sportster is sold as a cruiser. The weight of the bike is 256 kg. The engine of the 883 Sportster is 883 cc, it packs a punch. It has 6 gears. The max torque of the 883 is 3500 rpm.
The front suspension of the 883 is 39 mm and made of telescopic forks. The rear suspension is a coil over and preload dual adjustable. It has disc brakes. The wheels are spoke wheels. The fuel capacity of the 883 is 12.5 liters. Ground clearance of the 883 is around 140mm. It has a high ground clearance.
Harley Davidson bikes are usually cruisers. The 883 is also a city-cruiser and you wouldn’t want to take it off-road. However, people do take the 883 offroad because of the spoke wheels. The 883 is mildly popular among Harley Davidson fans. The high ground clearance makes the 883 suitable for bumpy roads.
What is 1200 Sportster?
The 1200 Sportster is a series of bikes by Harley Davidson. The bike is also distributed in India because of Harley Davidson and Hero Motorcorp’s joint venture. The 1200 is also known as the 1200 custom Sportster. The 1200 is a high-end Harley motorcycle. The 1200 Sportster’s cost is high for a motorcycle. It is costly for the average Indian but no so much for Americans.
The 1200 is sold as a cruiser. Its weight is 268 kg. The engine displacement of the 1200 Sportster is 1202 cc, it packs the lion’s roar. It has 6 gears. The max torque of the 1200 is 4250 rpm.
The front suspension of the 1200 is 39 mm and made of forks. The rear suspension is mono-shock. It has disc brakes. The wheels are alloy wheels.The fuel capacity of the 883 is 17 liters. Ground clearance of the 1200 is around 105mm. It has a low ground clearance.
The 1200 is a major city cruiser. You can take the 1200 for long on-road rides. The 1200 is not designed to go off-road and the alloy wheels only add another obstacle to the 1200 going off-road.The 1200 is popular among Harley-Davidson fans. The lower ground clearance makes it a good contender for those who want to stay grounded.
Main Differences Between 883 and 1200 Sportster
- The 883 Sportster has an 883 cc engine and the maximum torque is 3500mm. On the other hand, the 1200 Sportster has a 1202 cc engine and the maximum torque is 4250 rpm. The difference in engine cc and torque means a huge performance difference between the bikes.
- The 883 Sportster has spoke wheels. On the other hand, the 1200 Sportster has alloy wheels. The type of wheels makes a difference in long-term maintenance and the capability of going offroad. The spoke wheels are more flexible and absorb more shock while the alloy wheels are lightweight. The weight of alloy vs spoke wheels makes a difference only at high-speed racing.
- The 883 Sportster has both front and rear wheels of the same size. On the other hand, the front wheel of the 1200 Sportster is larger as compared to the rear wheel.
- The 883 has a ground clearance of 140 mm, which makes it easier to ride on bumpy roads or roads filled with potholes. On the other hand, the 1200 has a ground clearance of 105mm. The lower ground clearance attracts buyers who want to feel the ride as they go.
- The 883 has a fuel capacity of 12.5 liters. On the other hand, the 1200 has a fuel capacity of 17 liters
The 883 and the 1200 are both Harley-Davidson bikes. The 883 costs a little less as compared to the 1200. Both bikes have significantly different features too. While the 883 is a little heavy, the 1200 is lighter and as a result, goes faster than the 883.
However, both of these bikes are cruisers. You cannot have racing fun with these bikes. They don’t go as fast as racing bikes, and they are not suitable for off-road. If all you’re looking for is a classy experience, and a bike to cruise the city and possibly go to some mountain areas on solo-rides, these bikes might just be for you.
Table of Contents