Bikes have been the favourite of mountaineers and explorers alike. Everyone likes to feel the freedom that comes along with a bike. They take a bike into the mountains.
The cold wind rushed on my face. No sounds around you but the sound of the engine humming. People feel like they are on top of the world!
Harley-Davidson is a major motorbike company originally launched in the US. It was launched in 1903 and is said to be one of the companies that survived the great depression.
883 and 1200 Sportster are models of bikes by Harley Davidson.
- The 883 and 1200 Sportster are two models of Harley Davidson motorcycles.
- The main difference is their engine size – the 883 has an 883cc engine, while 1200 has a 1200cc engine.
- The choice between the two models depends on the rider’s preference for power and performance and their budget and intended use.
883 Sportster vs 1200 Sportster
The 883 Sportster and 1200 Sportster are both models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles. The 883 Sportster has an 883 cc engine designed for a more agile, nimble riding experience. The 1200 Sportster has a larger 1200 cc engine designed for a more powerful and aggressive riding experience. Both models offer a similar classic, stripped-down “bobber” style with a low seat height, but the 1200 Sportster is more powerful and geared towards more experienced riders.
Moreover, The Sportster model was introduced in 1957.
|Parameter of Comparison||883 Sportster (iron)||1200 Sportster (custom)|
|Engine||Air-cooled, evolution||Air-cooled, Evolution|
|Wheel size||Front- 406.4 mm Rear- 406.4 mm||Front- 482.6 mmRear- 406.4 mm|
|Engine cc||1202 cc||883 cc|
|Ground clearance||140 mm||105 mm|
What is 883 Sportster?
883 Sportster is a series of bikes by Hardley Davidson. The bike is distributed in India with the help of Hero Motor Corp. Hero, and Hardley ventured together into the Indian market.
The 883 Sportster is also known as the Iron 883. The speculation is that Harley gave it a new name but did not actively deny the ‘Sportster’ tag associated with it.
The 883 edges towards the high-end motorcycles. The 883 Sportster’s cost is high for a motorcycle. The price tag is high for the average Indian.
In the U.S.A, the 883 is considered cheap and an easy way to get a Harley bike.
The 883 Sportster is sold as a cruiser. The weight of the bike is 256 kg. The engine of the 883 Sportster is 883 cc; it packs a punch. It has 6 gears. The max torque of the 883 is 3500 rpm.
The front suspension 883 is 39 mm and made of telescopic forks. The rear suspension is a coil over and preload dual adjustable. It has disc brakes.
The wheels are spoken wheels. The fuel capacity of the 883 is 12.5 litres. Ground clearance of the 883 is around 140mm. It has a high ground clearance.
Harley Davidson bikes are cruisers. The 883 is also a city cruiser; you wouldn’t want to take it off-road. However, people do take the 883 offroad because of the spoke wheels.
The 883 is mildly popular among Harley Davidson fans. The high ground clearance makes the 883 suitable for bumpy roads.
What is 1200 Sportster?
The 1200 Sportster is a series of bikes by Harley Davidson. The bike is also distributed in India because of Harley Davidson and Hero Motorcorp’s joint venture. The 1200 is also known as the 1200 custom Sportster.
The 1200 is a high-end Harley motorcycle. The 1200 Sportster’s cost is high for a motorcycle. It is costly for the average Indian but not so much for Americans.
The 1200 is sold as a cruiser. Its weight is 268 kg. The engine displacement of the 1200 Sportster is 1202 cc; it packs the lion’s roar. It has 6 gears. The max torque of 1200 is 4250 rpm.
The front suspension of 1200 is 39 mm and made of forks. The rear suspension is mono-shock. It has disc brakes. The wheels are alloy wheels. The fuel capacity of the 883 is 17 litres.
Ground clearance of 1200 is around 105mm. It has a low ground clearance.
The 1200 is a major city cruiser. You can take 1200 for long on-road rides. 1200 is not designed to go off-road, and the alloy wheels only add another obstacle to 1200 going off-road.
The 1200 is popular among Harley-Davidson fans. The lower ground clearance makes it a good contender for those who want to stay grounded.
Main Differences Between 883 and 1200 Sportster
- The 883 Sportster has an 883 cc engine, and the maximum torque is 3500mm. On the other hand, the 1200 Sportster has a 1202 cc engine, and the maximum torque is 4250 rpm. The difference in engine cc and torque means a huge performance difference between the bikes.
- The 883 Sportster has spoke wheels. On the other hand, the 1200 Sportster has alloy wheels. The type of wheels makes a difference in long-term maintenance and the capability of going offroad. The spoke wheels are more flexible and absorb more shock, while the alloy wheels are lightweight. The weight of alloy vs spoke wheels makes a difference only in high-speed racing.
- The 883 Sportster has both front and rear wheels of the same size. On the other hand, the front wheel of the 1200 Sportster is larger as compared to the rear wheel.
- The 883 has a ground clearance of 140 mm, which makes it easier to ride on bumpy roads or roads filled with potholes. On the other hand, the 1200 has a ground clearance of 105mm. The lower ground clearance attracts buyers who want to feel the ride as they go.
- The 883 has a fuel capacity of 12.5 litres. On the other hand, 1200 has a fuel capacity of 17 litres
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.