Believing in and standing for unique ideas and opinions is human nature. Whether you are working in a mill, a factory, a corporate organization, or running your own business, you have specific thoughts and suggestions about things that can influence the surrounding environment.
People listen to the ideas or opinions of one another and decide whether to act on an individual’s belief or opinion based on the benefit it does to them or their business. This process can be termed a meeting.
Now there are meetings all around us, whether we are meeting friends, meeting our employers, employees, or clients. Opinions get shared and acted upon in these meetings.
Meetings that are the most important and impactful are Annual Meetings and Board Meetings.
- An Annual General Meeting (AGM) is a yearly gathering of a company’s shareholders, during which they discuss and vote on company matters, review financial statements, and elect board members; a board meeting is a regular gathering of a company’s board of directors to discuss, manage, and make decisions on company matters.
- AGMs are held once a year and involve shareholders, while board meetings occur more frequently and involve only the board of directors.
- Both meetings are essential for corporate governance, but AGMs focus on shareholder participation and annual reporting, while board meetings address ongoing management and decision-making.
Annual General Meeting vs Board Meeting
An Annual General Meeting (AGM) is a mandatory meeting held once a year by a company to update its shareholders on the company’s performance during the previous year. A Board Meeting is a meeting held by the board of directors of a company to discuss and decide on matters relating to the company.
Annual Meetings are held once a year and are essential to decide the future operations and activities of the organization or the enterprise to improve and get better results and to perform better in the field in which the organization is working.
Board Meetings are held many times throughout the year to evaluate the organization’s or the enterprise’s performance and to have the management responsible for conducting the actions and rules laid down by the board members.
|Parameter of Comparison||Annual General Meeting||Board Meeting|
|Concept||The meeting is held once a year to keep the interest of shareholders and investors in mind and check the enterprise’s financial condition.||The meeting is held more than once a year to evaluate the performance of the management and to decide future actions for the organization.|
|Impact||Annual Meetings don’t have much impact on the overall organization as their main focus is in the interest of the shareholders and the investors.||Board Meetings have more impact on the overall enterprise as its main focus is deciding future actions and decisions for the enterprise’s betterment.|
|Advantages||Annual Meetings help keep up with the enterprise’s an investment and financial status concerning the shareholders and Investors.||Board Meetings help maintain systematic growth and leadership required for the organization to substantially grow and benefit from it.|
|Disadvantages||Annual Meetings are held once a year. Therefore, it’s challenging to keep up with the real-time performance of the organization.||Board Meetings are held numerous times, which can consume the precious time of the management over things that don’t matter much.|
|Key Members||Members of this meeting include shareholders and Investors who have invested in this company or have a stake in this organization.||This meeting includes members of the board of directors who make important decisions related to the organization’s management.|
What is Annual General Meeting?
Annual Meetings are held once a year where all the shareholders and Investors of that particular organization or enterprise meet on the financial matters and their return on investment.
Annual Meetings are transparency between the enterprise and the shareholders and Investors so that their investment and stake in the organization can be kept in check with their interest.
For example, if you invested a certain amount in a company, an annual meeting will be held every year where you can look at the company’s performance and the return on your investment.
What is Board Meeting?
Board Meetings are held with keeping the company’s growth as the central theme of this meeting. The organization’s chairman selects members for primary systematic growth for the enterprise in this meeting.
Members of this Meeting see over the management and the work assigned to them to improve the efficiency and work of the organization.
Board meetings can be held at any time and any number of times as it suits the members to make decisions and assign future operations for the enterprise.
Main Differences Between Annual General Meeting and Board Meeting
- No matter where the organization is located or in which country, every organization must have at least one Annual Meeting in a year as it is mandatory even by the law so that the shareholder’s and Investors’ interests can be looked after and taken care of.
- Board Meetings can be held in an emergency or on any day and can be had numerous times to make crucial decisions and to look over the functioning of management of the organization or the enterprise.
- Annual Meetings are less impactful, whereas Board meetings are more impactful and helpful.
- Board Meetings can sometimes consume a lot more time than annual meetings, which can cause a loss of work.
- Key members in Annual Meetings are the shareholder and investors, whereas key members in Board Meetings are members of the Board.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.