Another vs Other
The key difference between Another and Other lies in the fact that “Another” implies something or someone which is known or particular whereas other implies to someone or something which is unknown or not in particular.
Another stands as a determiner and pronoun in the part of speech while others stand as a pronoun, determiner, and adjective in the part of speech.
Another or Other? which one to be used and where? Little confusing? When writing in English, we come across some confusing words. One of such confusion is when we have to use Other or Another.
Let’s understand the use of Other and Another in sentences. But before that let’s understand the meaning of ‘Another’ and ‘Other’.
According to Merriam Webster, Other means, “being the one (as of two or more) remaining or not included.” Or, “being the one or ones distinct from that or those first mentioned or implied.”
And if we talk about ‘Another’. According to Merriam Webster, Another means, “an additional one of the same kind: one more.” Or, “one that is different from the first or present one.”
To understand the correct use and meaning of Other and Another, let’s take a further look.
Comparison Table Between Another and Other (in Tabular Form)
|Parameter of Comparison||Another||Other|
|Noun||Another is used with a singular countable noun.||Other is used with a Plural countable or uncountable noun.|
|Part of speech||Determiner and pronoun.||Determiner, Pronoun and Adjective.|
|Used to specify||Another specifies or implies the other thing which can be of the same or different kind.||Other specifies or implies to the thing which is different from the one already mentioned.|
|Examples||Should we buy another packet of oats?||Any other color would have been better.|
|That’s another of doing the same thing.||This product is available in small, medium and many other sizes.|
What does the word “Another” mean?
The word ’Another’ means ‘additional’ in simple terms but its meaning can change as per the sentence. Let’s learn the different ways to use Another in different sentences.
Another as part of speech can be used as ‘Determiner’ and also as ‘Pronoun’. Let’s take a look at Another as an Adjective. As previously said another means one more in addition to one or more of the same kind.
To understand this read the following example:-
- Have another piece of cake.
- Buy another pack of chocolates.
- Should we open another branch of our academy?
These examples show the use of Another as an adjective and in the above sentences, another means Additional.
Now let’s take a look at Another as Pronoun. As a pronoun, Another means one that is different from the first or present one.
The following sentences show the use of another as a pronoun.
- Talking about something is one thing, but doing something is another.
- That’s another way of doing the same thing.
- That’s another solution to the problem.
- Let’s find another way of doing this.
- Let’s meet another day.
By having a look at the examples above, we can understand the use of Another as Pronoun. In the above examples, we can see that the meaning of Another is different from that in previous examples.
Now we know the different uses of another in different parts of speech.
What does the word “Other” mean?
In simple words Other means ‘different’. ‘Other’ can be used as Adjective, noun, sometimes a pronoun, adverb, and a verb.
Other as an Adjective:
Meaning- being the one or ones distinct from that or those first mentioned or implied.
- This pack is better than the other packs.
- He is taller than other boys.
- Find some other topics for discussion.
Other as Noun:
Meaning- a different or additional one.
- Four people said Yes while others were not in favor.
- Search for some other alternatives.
- Show me other color options.
Other as Adverb:
Meaning- Otherwise (used with than).
- All the players other than him are good.
- “We can go out any day other than tomorrow.”
- “Can we buy anything other than this?”
Other as Verb: (used as othered or othering)
Meaning- to treat or consider (a person or a group of people) as alien to oneself or one’s group (as because of different racial, sexual, or cultural characteristics).
- In small rural areas, some communities are othered.
- Sometimes we feel like othered by our friends.
- In ancient India the process othering some communities was a common practice.
(Note: all the meanings are as per Merriam Webster dictionary )
Now by studying the meanings and examples above, we can understand the different uses of ‘other’ in different types of sentences.
Main Differences Between Another and Other
- In a normal scenario, ‘Another’ means ‘Additional’ and on the other hand, ‘Other’ means ‘Different’.
- Another can be used as a determiner and a pronoun. While “Other” can be used as Adjective, noun, pronoun, adverb and a verb.
- Another is used with singular countable nouns or pronouns. Whereas, Other is used with plural countable as well as uncountable nouns and pronouns.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Another and Other
🍒 Is other singular or plural?
‘Other’ is a singular noun. Its plural form is ‘others’. ‘Other’ can also be used as an adjective, qualifying a singular or plural noun.
🍓 Is it other’s or others?
“Other’s” is used for the words “other is”. However, the word “others” is used in the plural sense.
Look at the examples below to understand both of them better.
- Other’s – Suppose there are two pens in a room placed somewhere. So you can say, “The one pen is on the table and the other’s in the drawer.” Here, the word “other’s” is used in the place of ‘other is’.
- Others – It is used in the plural sense, for example, “I will take this candy and you can take the others. Here the word “others” is representing that there is more than one candy.
🍅 Is another a quantifier?
In English, the quantity of anything is determined by using quantifiers in the sentence. This quantity could be small or large.
There are two types of quantifiers namely Complex Quantifiers and Simple Quantifiers. The word ‘another’ belongs to simple quantifiers.
- Simple Quantifiers – All the quantifiers that are composed of single-word comes under this category. Some of the examples are both, enough, another, every, few, some, more, several, no, etc.
- Complex Quantifiers – The quantifiers made up of more than one word i.e. a phrase. Some of the complex quantifiers are a lot of, a few, a little, etc.
🥕 Is saying, an another correct?
The word ‘another’ already has an indefinite article ‘an’ in it. Therefore, it is not right to use the word with another determiner.
However, many writers have used the word ‘another’ with the article ‘an’. But this is considered to be grammatically incorrect.
🥒 How many determiners are there in English?
A determiner is a word that is responsible for the introduction of a noun or adjective. There are four types of determiners namely:
- Articles – It includes a, an, and the. These are the most commonly used determiners.
- Demonstrative – This includes this, that, these, and those.
- Quantifiers – It states the quantity of something with the use of words like all, none, some, etc.
- Possessive – These are used to show possession of someone over something. It includes my, his, her, our, etc.
Learn More With the Help of Video
Another is ‘An + Other’, it is the word “Other” used with the article ‘An’. You can use “another” before a noun whenever you can use “a(n)” before a noun.
The rules are the same. Another = an + other. As ‘Another’ includes an article, so whenever we use ‘other’ we use it before a noun that does not need an article.
The word ‘Another’ means additional or extra while the word other means something not included previously or something different from the one already talked about or someone left or not specifically mentioned.
Another is generally used with a singular nonspecific countable noun. Example -: let’s meet another day. The ‘day’ in the sentence is a countable and singular noun.
Whereas ‘other’ can be used with a plural or uncountable nonspecific noun. Example-: This device has other features as well. In the sentence ‘features’ is an uncountable and non-specific noun.
Now we can easily differentiate between Another and other. Also, the above information with examples makes it easy to understand the different uses of the word “Another” and “Other” in different sentences.
From this, we can conclude that the use of Another or other totally depends on the context of the sentence and conversation. Another or other which one is more suitable depends on what we want to convey to the listener or the reader.
Word Cloud for Difference Between Another and Other
The following is a collection of the most used terms in this article on the Another and Other. This should help in recalling related terms as used in this article at a later stage for you.