The Army and Marine forces of the United States are one of the most badass military organizations throughout the world. Both the forces are very unique but have a lot of differences between them.
Some of the key similarities between the 2 service are;
- The Cabinet-level department of Defense along with all the senior members are in the council of Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).
- The officer grade ranks apart from the rank of insignia are quite similar in nature.
- Both the services are quite traditional and therefore almost similar rank grade mechanism and rank titles.
Army vs Marines
The difference between army and military is that Army is primarily a military service whereas the Marine forces are basically Naval Service for the US government. Apart from the missions and mandates of the US Army, the size is almost double of the US marine forces. The eligibility criteria for the selection of Army and US marine forces is significantly difficult.
The maximum age to register and get recruited for Marine forces is 28 years whereas for Army service the age extends up to 35 years.
Since you all of learned the basic difference between Army and Marines, now it is time for you to understand the points of difference and comparison of both the US forces.
|Parameter of Comparison||Army||Marines|
|Definition||The Army is the main division of United States land force responsible for all the land-based military operations.||The Marines is the main division of United States naval force responsible for all the water-based defence operations.|
|Size Numbers||Number of Active Army Troops: 561,984||Number of Active Marine members: 202,779|
|Number of Reserve and National Guard personnel: 567,299||Number of Reserve and National Guard personnel: 40,000|
|Total Army Manpower: 1,129,283||Total Marine Manpower: 242779|
|Year of Establishment||The army was established on 14 June 1775 in the country of United States of America.||Marine was established on 10 November 1775 in the country of United States of America.|
|Country of Origin||The term Army was originated in the United States of America.||The term Marine was originated in the United States of America.|
|Insignia||The Insignia for US Army force is a star logo.||The Insignia for US Marine force is Globe, eagle and an Anchor.|
|Headquarters||The headquarters for the US Army is in the Pentagon House/Building.||The headquarters for US Marine forces are in the Headquarters Marine Corps.|
What is Army?
The Army is focused on maintaining peace and harmony in the United States of America by following the below guidelines;
- Supporting all national and international government policies.
- Tackling any person or group posing a threat to national security.
- Instigating all the national and governmental rules in the country.
- Maintains peace and security in the United States of America.
With parental permission, one can join the Army at a minimum age of 17 years. However, if you don’t have your parents’ permission then you can apply next year.
The US Army has two phases of training i.e. Basic training that gets completed within 10 weeks of duration.
This is followed by the Advanced Individualized Training (AIT) Program that is really tough and must to clear to successfully become a US Army candidate.
In terms of missions and accomplishments of US Army, the military force had been a part and parcel of all the important missions like the World War 1 and World War 2, The Revolutionary War and Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan wars.
In a black rectangle if you see a white star outlined with black and white then be proud as this is the US Army logo.
What is Marines?
The Marine force is focused on maintaining peace and harmony in all the Naval bases of the United States of America by following the below guidelines;
- Supporting all the national and international naval campaigns.
- Tackling any person or group posing threat to any of the naval base camps.
- Instigating all the plans and tactics for amphibious land forces.
- Maintains peace and security and follows US president’s orders.
With a minimum age of 18 years and maximum age of up to 28 years, you can join the US Marine forces. The citizenship of a Marine is the same as that of an Army troop.
The US Marine Boot camp is much more rigorous and the training gets completed within 13 weeks of duration with up to 40000 recruits every year.
In terms of missions and accomplishments of US Marine forces, the military force had been a part and parcel of all the important missions like the Tripoli, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, and Ichon Bay, etc.
The United States of America has set the official crest of Marine forces as the Globe, Eagle, and Anchor. In the design, the globe intersects the anchor and design were adopted by the US government in the year 1955.
Main Differences Between Army and Marines
Although both are the part and parcel of the US Military and Defense operations, there exists a lot of difference between Army and Marines when it comes to size, strength, manpower and execution strategy.
- The army is a military service that operates on land whereas the Marine forces operate in water and is a Naval Service.
- The size of the Army is almost double to the size of the Marine forces in the United States of America.
- The age limit for joining Army and Marine forces in the United States of America is 35 years and 28 years respectively.
- Marines training is much more rigorous and difficult than any other defence force. In the Army, the recruits will first undergo a basic training followed by Advanced Combat training.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️