There are many beliefs and different ways of following the teachings of Jesus. One of the ways of these teachings is called baptism is used as an entrance to faith.
Baptism is followed by both Baptists and Anabaptists and is called ‘believers baptism’. They both refuse the baptism of infants and believe that baptism is only for adults.
The fact that they have a lot of similarities is what led people to believe that they are the same. But with these similarities, they also have distinct beliefs that distinguish one from another.
Baptist vs Anabaptist
The difference between Baptist and Anabaptist is that Baptists believe that they cannot control and impose over one’s freedom as it is their rights whereas anabaptists do not believe in this and impose rules that are to be followed by all the members of the sect.
Baptist is the people who believe and follow baptism that is a branch of the Puritans. They do not have one belief as it depends on the groups or the places where they live.
They mingle into other societies and actively take part in their political aspects and well as in military services. Anabaptists are people of the Anabaptism, a revolutionary movement of the sixteenth century.
Like Baptists, they also rejected infant baptism and propagate pacifism. They are one’s who believe that rules of simplicity are to be followed by all the members of the sect and live secluded from the rest.
|Parameters of Comparison||Baptist||Anabaptist|
|Beliefs||They have different beliefs||Their beliefs are the man should first place their belief in the gospel|
|Pacifism||They believe that they should not be controlling and that freedom is every man’s right.||They believe that all the members should follow the rules of simplicity strictly|
|Community||They do not believe in the communal way of living||They believe in the communal way of living by sharing all the properties among the members|
|salvation||Justification by faith is their sole belief||Justification by continuously doing good deeds for the community|
|Modes of living||They live among other communities and societies in cities, etc.||They live secluded from everyone else and continue living in simplicity|
What is Baptist?
Baptists are the people who believed in baptism that was branched of Puritans. This group is well known among society as they mingle along with people of cities and societies located in their neighbourhood.
Since they do not stick to the communal way of living, they often merge themselves with people of cities and metropolitans by adapting to their lifestyle. They are divided into General Baptists and Particular Baptists depending on various factors.
They actively participate in the political movements, often winning political and high-status power. So, Baptists are free to run political offices or even participate in wars.
They can also participate in military services. Baptists do not believe that justification on their Almighty has to be done through good deeds and pure works.
They believe that justification by faith is the true way to achieve salvation.
What is Anabaptist?
Anabaptism is a Radical Reformation movement of the sixteenth century and an Anabaptist is a social group called Swiss Brethren that started the movement during the sixteenth century. They believe that a man should first place their belief on the gospel before placing it on God.
They also follow pacifism, not only within themselves but also towards everyone else. Like Baptists, they also reject the idea of baptism of infants.
Anabaptists believe in leading their life through simplicity. They even refuse to take light energy for guiding them as they live secluded from everyone else.
This is also a reason for their unpopularity among society.
Anabaptists are divided into groups named Amish, Hutterites and Mennonites. Among them, Hutterites still use horse stallion for travelling about.
Main Differences Between Baptist and Anabaptist
- Baptists and anabaptists have different beliefs and this is what sets them apart. Baptists beliefs differ from people to people as some follow the anabaptist beliefs while others follow the opposite of it. Anabaptists believe that a man should always place their trust first on a gospel before baptism.
- Baptist believes that every man has their rights to freedom and that it should not and cannot be controlled by anyone. They should be able to choose for themselves. Anabaptists believe that the rules have to be followed by every sect member strictly.
- Anabaptists believe that all the properties have to be equally shared by all the members of the sect. This is a communal living. But this is not believed or followed by Baptists.
- Salvation in baptism is done through justification by faith. Whereas in Anabaptism, it is justification by continuously doing good deeds to the community.
- Since anabaptists believe in simplicity during living, they live secluded from the rest of the world and have access to only the bare minimum as in the time of Jesus. On the other hand, Baptists include and merge themselves into nearby societies and cities, actively participating in their way of living.
Conclusion of the two groups is because of their origin. Baptists believe in baptism that was a branch of the Puritans whereas Anabaptism, followed by anabaptists was started in the sixteenth century as a Radical Reformation.
- The Anabaptist story: An introduction to sixteenth-century Anabaptism (google.com)
- The Baptist Heritage (google.com)
- No discipline, no Church: an Anabaptist contribution to the Reformed tradition (jstor.org)
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️