Berries are generally oval, juicy, and fresh fruit that can be found in different shapes, sizes, colors, and tastes, etc. The plants having berries are often said as ‘baccate’ or ‘bacciferous’.
Some of examples of berries are – blueberry, mulberry, blackberry, grapes, currants, and many others. Among these classifications of berries, many fruits are not able to fulfil all the scientific criteria but do lie in broader terms.
- Blackberries have a more robust, sweet-tart flavor, while black raspberries offer a sweeter, more delicate taste.
- Blackberries retain their core when picked, creating a hollow center for black raspberries.
- Blackberries have a larger, plumper appearance than the more compact black raspberries.
Blackberry vs Black Raspberry
Blackberries are larger, have a firmer texture, have a hard and bramble-like structure, grow on a shrub, and have a tart flavour. Black raspberries are soft and tender, have an almost translucent texture, grow on a vine, are sweeter, have a slightly fuzzy texture, and have a more complex flavour profile.
Blackberries are grown on plants acquiring a height of about 3 m to 6 m in length. The leaves of the plant are palmately compound and don’t bear any flowers on them in the early years. Blackberries can be grown in poor soil and wetlands.
The bunch of leaves found on the stem is in five or seven numbers, while the flower has 5 petals in number.
Black Raspberry belongs to the genus of ‘Rubus’. Majorly the origin of the fruit is considered to be North America. The shrub’s height grows to approximately 2 m to 3 m. The leaves of the shrub are arranged in a pinnate structure.
These are mainly found near the area of meadows, railways, trails, etc.
|Parameters of Comparison||Blackberry||Black Raspberry|
|Scientific Name||Rubus armeniacus||Rubus occidentalis|
|Center||White color part||Hollow|
|Size||Large||Small with slight hairs|
|Best For||Making jams||Making dessert|
What is Blackberry?
Blackberry is not a true berry but an aggregate fruit containing multiple ovaries of the same flower. The scientific name for the fruit termed by IUCN is Rubus armeniacus.
The fruit is majorly native to North America also, the limitless growth of these shrubs in some parts of the countries classified the fruit as the weed.
The shrub grows approximately 3m to 6m in length and comprises leaves in palmately compound raceme, and even in the early years of the growth, and the plant does not bear flowers.
But in a later stage, white or pale pink color petal flowers may be observed on the plant.
The appearance of the fruit is very shiny, and at the point of stem attachment, the fruit contains a white part that helps them distinguish from others.
Blackberries are high in nutrient levels and do contain many vitamins, dietary fibres, antioxidants, etc. Besides this, the flavour and taste of the berries are very sour, which makes them best for preparing fresh fruit jams.
What is Black Raspberry?
Black raspberry is not a true berry but an example of aggregate fruit. The scientific name of the fruit coined by the IUCN department is Rubus occidentalis. The origin place of the fruit is the same as the blackberry that is in North America.
The shrubs of black raspberries are most likely to be found near trails, meadows, railways, etc.
The shrub of the fruit is approximately 2m to 3m in height. Also, the leaves raceme is found to pinnate and the number of leaves are five with numerous flowers.
The fruit contains a high amount of nutrients like – antioxidants, ellagic acid, vitamins, anthocyanins, etc.
The fruit’s appearance may be dull compared to blackberries, and the central part of the fruit is hollow. The taste and flavour of the fruit are much sweeter, which is why it is considered best for making desserts.
Main Differences Between Blackberry and Black Raspberry
- The scientific name of Blackberry is Rubus armeniacus while comparatively, on the other hand, the scientific name of Black Raspberry is Rubus occidentalis.
- The central part of the blackberry fruit must have a white color part, while comparatively, on the other hand, the central part of the black raspberry fruit is hollow.
- The size of the blackberry fruit observed is larger, and the cells present also appeared just like it, while comparatively, on the other hand, the size of the black raspberry fruit observed is small and along with its small hairs can also be observed.
- The appearance of blackberry seems to be shiny, while comparatively, on the other hand, the black raspberry’s appearance seems dull in front of the blackberry.
- The taste of the blackberry is very sour or acidic, while comparatively, the taste of the black raspberry is sweeter and less acidic.
- Blackberries are best for making fresh jams, while comparatively, on the other hand, black raspberries being sweeter, are best for cooking desserts.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.