Botox and Dysport are two of the most common procedures used in the aesthetics industry. You might have heard about these terms in your life. But what exactly is the difference between them?
- Botox and Dysport are injectable neurotoxins derived from Clostridium botulinum, used to temporarily relax facial muscles, smooth wrinkles, and treat certain medical conditions.
- Botox has a slightly heavier molecular structure than Dysport, resulting in a more localized effect, while Dysport’s lighter structure allows for a more diffused impact on the treatment area.
- The primary difference between Botox and Dysport lies in their molecular structure and the resulting distribution of their effects, with Botox offering a more localized outcome. At the same time, Dysport provides a broader, more dispersed effect.
Botox vs Dysport
Botox is made from a protein called botulinum toxin A, while Dysport is made from a related protein called abobotulinumtoxinA. Dysport spreads out more evenly across the skin. Botox is more potent and lasts longer.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Both of these procedures are used for treating wrinkles, but they differ in duration, price, and effectiveness.
|Parameter of Comparison||Botox||Dysport|
|Definition||Used for treating wrinkles on the forehead, crow’s feet, and glabella lines.||They are used for treating glabella wrinkles.|
|Results||Botox can show the result within a week.||Dysport can show the result in 2 days.|
|Duration||Botox can last up to six months.||Dysport can last 3 to 4 months.|
|Costs||Botox is slightly more expensive than Dysport.||Dysport is a little cheaper than Botox.|
|Side-effects||Less risk of botulinum toxicity.||High risk of botulinum toxicity.|
What is Botox?
Botox is a substance injected into your skin to treat forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet, and glabella lines.
They have become one of the most popular cosmetic treatments worldwide. They reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, thus giving a youthful look.
They stop nerve signals to those particular muscles, which might cause wrinkles. In this way, the area becomes smoother.
Botox works by freezing your muscles by blocking those nerve signals, which is how the effect is long-lasting.
The effect of Botox can last 4-6 months. That means you might have only two injections per year to maintain that youthful appearance.
The price of Botox injections depends on the dosage. If more units of this injection are needed, it adds to the cost of the treatment. But Botox is relatively more expensive than Dysport.
There are minimal side-effects of such procedures. In the case of Botox, you may also face side effects such as swelling of that area, rashes, or headaches.
There is no severe risk of Botox as such, but if the area is exposed to high levels of this substance, you might experience difficulty breathing, speaking, and swallowing.
According to the FDA, Botox can also treat some medical conditions other than to enhance beauty, like excessive sweating, eyelid spasms, and muscle disorder.
That is why it is advised to always go to experts for this medical procedure who can figure out what’s best for you.
What is Dysport?
Dysport is a treatment that is used for treating glabella lines. It is also a form of anti-wrinkle treatment that uses botulinum toxin as a substance.
Glabella lines are also called frown lines. This procedure is effective if you have moderate to severe wrinkles in that area. It might not be recommended if the wrinkles are mild.
The way it works is the same as in Botox. Dermatologists or aesthetic surgeons inject this substance into the needed area, and the procedure can be done within a few minutes.
The cost of Dysport depends on the number of units needed for the treatment. But Dysport is slightly cheaper than Botox.
Dysport can last 3 to 4 months. You may see results after two days without any extreme side effects if the treatment goes the right way, but some side effects are involved, such as headache, nausea, swelling, sore throat, etc.
Dysport carries the risk of botulinum toxicity. The substance can spread to other parts of the body and can cause problems like blurred vision, breathing difficulty, muscle weakness, and droopy eyelids.
In such cases, you may need to contact your doctor immediately to stop the further spread of the toxins. It is also advised not to take Dysport if you are allergic to ingredients in Dysport.
Main Differences Between Botox and Dysport
- Botox is used for treating wrinkles on the forehead, crow’s feet, and glabella lines, while Dysport is used for treating glabella lines only.
- Botox can show results within a week, whereas Dysport shows results in 2 days.
- Botox can last up to six months, while Dysport can last up to 4 months.
- Botox is slightly more expensive than Dysport, whereas Dysport is a cheaper treatment than Botox.
- Botox carries a lesser risk of botulinum toxicity, while Dysport carries a high risk of botulinum toxicity.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.