Branding is a parameter that ensures a product or a service is detached especially from other products in the market.
It is through branding that a product or a service becomes a standout and gains a competitive advantage above the substitute products. In the branding process, many users confuse brand identity from the brand image whereas both are unique.
Brand Identity vs Brand Image
The main difference between Brand Identity and Brand Image is that Brand identity refers to how a company tries to persuade the audience while brand image refers to how the audience perceives a brand. Brand identity depends on how they portray themselves, and brand image depends on the customers’ experience with the company.
Furthermore, the brand identity revolves most around the owner of the brand, and how that particular owner presents the brand to the consumers. The brand image, however, revolves around the customer and how they perceive the brand especially after using it or experiencing it in one way or another.
The brand identity may comprise of the company logo, the tagline, or the slogan and the unique tone it applies. However, the brand image consists of the impression of the customers towards the brand, and what they believe in terms of its existence and influence.
Further discussion in this article reveals the explicit differences between brand identity and brand image.
Comparison Table Between Brand Identity and Brand Image
|Parameter of comparison||Brand Identity||Brand Image|
|Meaning||The way the company wants the customer to perceive the brand||The way the customers view the brand from their perspective|
|How they trend||In an active approach where the company must look for the consumer||The consumer is free to decide whether to consume or not|
|Comprises of||The physical elements that can be seen about the brand||Both physical and emotional connections towards the brand|
|Tells more about||The firm’s real entity||The customers’ perception of the firm|
|The determining factor||The presentation of the company to the customers||The experience of the customers with the brand in question|
|Mainly concentrates on||Looking back to what can please the customers||Looking ahead to the best competitors|
What is Brand Identity?
Brand identity is the selective way through which a company represents its authenticity to the customers and the rapport it creates towards its fans in the ground. In essence, it is the reflection or the ace of the company that entails its personality, values, and ideas.
It is through the brand identity that the company showcases what it can offer in terms of, performance, quality, attributes, support, and services that it offers to the customers.
The brand identity reflects the consulted efforts of the organization and the management at large to create a unique product that will trend with distinct features above other products in the market.
The organization can create a depiction of the brand to its target audience, and this depiction is the real brand identity.
Intuitively, marketing techniques and strategies and branding contribute significantly to helping the organization communicate to the target audience about their products. The brand identity reveals the brand positioning, brand vision, relationships, and personality stands. It is much to do with the operational and intellectual connections with the brand to enhance differentiation and familiarity with the brand.
Any company that wishes to trend and bridge the gap with the competitors must develop a strategy that will take the company to the next level in terms of what they offer and how convenient it is to access it.
What is Brand Image?
The brand image revolves around how the customers perceive the company in terms of the existence and prospection of its brand. It encompasses the beliefs, impressions, and ideas that the customers hold about the company. In essence, the brand image communicates how the customers think about the company, and the feelings provoked by hearing the name of the company by the customers.
The development of the brand image takes time to grow gradually through such approaches as direct customer interaction with the target brand or promotional campaigns.
It is all about everything and anything that influences the customer positively towards the brand. The customers connect with the brand after their experiences and long term interaction with the products that a particular brand offers.
The brand image may, therefore, be positive or negative depending on the customers’ perception towards it and its position in the market. The customers’ perception towards the brand may vary from one person to another, but however, the variation, the image of the brand gets affected I one way or another. The customer may like a brand but fail to defend it when another substitute comes to the market.
The perception of the customer towards the brand creates a rationale that dictates whether that product will attract more customers and probably influence the company turnover.
Main Differences Between Brand Identity and Brand Image
- While the brand identity demands the active participation of the organization by reaching out to the customers, brand image is a passive experience that resonates around consuming and giving feedback after the experience.
- The brand identity entails the total brand components that the company creates in the efforts of positively influencing the target customers. The brand image, on the other hand, entails the complete and genuine impression about the brand or product from the consumers’ point of view after all the sources are considered.
- The brand identity is real as it depicts the mission, vision, objectives and core values of the organization, whereas the band image entails the general perception of the customers towards the product.
- The brand identity reveals much about what can be seen by the customers in terms of the name, logo, color, or the design symbol. On the centrally, the brand image involves both the visual elements like the logo, design, and color, and other emotional brand associations like the reliability, availability, and quality.
- The brand identity is much about the management of the company looking back and thinking about how they seal the loopholes and improve, whereas the brand image focusses much on bettering the experience of the customer with the brand.
- Precisely, brand identity is all about how the company represents itself to the target customer, while the brand image is much about the experience of the customer after interacting with the brand.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Brand Identity and Brand Image
What is included in Brand Identity?
Brand identity is the personality of a brand. It is a set of promises and values a brand is delivering to its customer including visual elements that let people recognize the brand.
There are 10 key elements that are required to create a brand identity.
- You must first choose a unique brand name.
- Your brand must have a logo. A unique logo lets people recognize your brand easily.
- If your product is physical, you must work on its shape. Create a unique one.
- A theme line can help you take your brand to new heights. One good example is Nike’s “Just do it”.
- Use unique graphics for your brand.
- Choose the color wisely. It is going to represent your brand as well.
- If you deal in products like perfume, then try to create a not best but unique fragrance so
- people can recognize your brand as soon as they smell it.
- A good intro is also a brand identity element. For instance, the intro you watch before a show starts.
- For the food industry, the taste is their brand identity. A unique taste with a distinct aroma is the brand identity of a food product.
- Movement is also an element of brand identity. Lamborghini’s upward card doors’ motion is its brand identity.
How do you create a powerful Brand Identity?
In order to create a powerful brand identity, you must go through these five steps:
- Conduct research on your target audience and other competitors’ brands to figure out a value proposition.
- Create a logo that is unique and simple in design.
- Find out the best language for your brand. In B2B companies, professional language is required but in many B2C companies, conversational language is a better option. Research your audience well to decide on language.
- Also, make notes of things that are not required and must be avoided like copying your competitors or creating ads that send mixed messages to customers.
- Monitor all the elements to make necessary changes whenever required if something is not going right. It is essential to maintain the reputation of the brand on a constant basis.
What are Brand Elements?
There are basically 10 brand elements:
- Brand identity
- Brand image
- Brand positioning
- Brand equity
- Brand experience
- Brand personality
- Brand differentiation
- Brand communication
- Brand gap, &
- Brand extension
What do you mean by Branding?
Branding is a marketing practice where the distinct names, symbols, and logos are designed to differentiate a company and its product from other companies and their products.
It also includes the promotion of a company by using distinct brand elements such as logo, color, etc.
Arguably, brand identity is much to do with how a brand portrays itself towards the target customers.
In contrast, the brand image involves a lot to do with how the customers connect with a specific brand after interacting with it.
- 1 Readers who read this also read:
- 2 Brand Identity vs Brand Image
- 3 Comparison Table Between Brand Identity and Brand Image
- 4 What is Brand Identity?
- 5 What is Brand Image?
- 6 Main Differences Between Brand Identity and Brand Image
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Brand Identity and Brand Image
- 8 Conclusion
- 9 References