Everyone work for earning so they have a sustainable life. The most important part that workplaces provide to their work is safety. It is important that every worker feels safe by all means. One of these safeties is shoes or boots. Some workplace provides boots to their workers to make sure they don’t get hurt in the process. They are most important where there is a chance of falling a heavy object on foot, or where a blade can cause a cut, etc. some examples of such boots are composite and steel toe. Both of them provide protection and hence get confused with being the same.
Composite vs Steel Toe
The difference between Composite and Steel Toe is that they are made from different materials and offer different comfort, etc. as the name suggests, steel toe is made from steel while the composite toe is not, which also results in different properties, especially when it comes to setting off the metal detector and electrical resistances. Composite provides more room to the toe and therefore and said to be more comfortable another reason could be its lightweight. They also differ in terms of protection, preferable weather, cost or affordability, etc.
Composite toes are bulky boots providing utmost protection and comfort to the foot. It can be worn for a long period as it is lighter. They can be worn in both cold and hot weather and by electricians and engineers as they are made from non-steel material. They are best to be worn outside work. They are mostly worn by people working outside in an open area.
Steel Toe is not bulky, and heavy which makes them less comfortable to wear for a longer duration. They are not preferable in cold weather and therefore mostly used in hot or less cold weather. They are made from steel and provide little extra protection and, therefore, worn by people engaged in heavy manufacturing, welding, etc.
Comparison Table Between Composite and Steel Toe
|Parameters of Comparison||Composite Toe||Steel Toe|
|Made from||Kevlar, carbon fiber, plastic, or fiberglass||heavy-duty steel|
|Suitable for||Electricians and engineers||heavy manufacturing, welding, heavy equipment mechanics|
|Best workplace||Outdoor and any weather||Indoor and less cold weather|
What is Composite Toe?
Composite toes are used mainly due to their comforts and non-metal property. It is also a reason why they are used maximum in jobs where passing through metal detectors is necessary. Being non-metal also gives an advantage of not conducting heat or cold, and therefore suitable for both type and weather.
They are best suitable for electricians and engineers, for an electrician is because they offer poor electric conductivity therefore if by mistaken they pass through a wire or have to handle electric equipment and for engineers, this reason and other reason could be they offer poor thermal conductivity, engineers mostly have to work in an open area in different climatic conditions, which makes them a better choice.
Pros: The pros of these boots are simple, they are poor conductors of both electricity and thermal, they are lighter and can be used for the long-term job, and they are more versatile.
Cons: they are not very affordable. Therefore, a big sum has to be invested. And comparatively, they provide less protection, especially from heavy substances.
What is Steel Toe?
Steel toe boots are made from steel. They are older in the race of protection boots and used mostly before the new boots came up. The toe cap is made up of steel, providing protection to the toe from any heavy or bulky material. They provide extreme puncture protection, and it is the only factor they are still used in the workplace instead of composite toe boots. They can protect the toe from having sharp or heavy objects. They are traditional protection boots that are still used in workplaces due to all their benefits.
Pros: the main advantage they offer is puncture protection and protection from heavy substances falling on the toe. Other advantages could be that they are not expensive as more advanced boots are introduced, and therefore can be easily affordable.
Cons: there are many disadvantages such as not being preferred in place with metal detectors, good conductors of electricity and thermal, cause fatigue and uncomforted due to heavyweight.
Main Differences Between Composite and Steel Toe
- Both Composite and Steel Toe is made up of different materials; the material used for Composite Toe is Kevlar, fiberglass and carbon fiber, etc., whereas the steel used for the production of steel toe is heavy-duty steel.
- They are different when it comes to the comfort they provide; due to their weight, not both of them are comfortable for a longer period. Composite toe being lighter is more comfortable for a longer duration job, whereas steel is heavier in comparison and therefore is a lot uncomfortable when worn for long hours.
- In terms of best workplace composite toe is mostly suitable for outdoor work and they can be easily worn in all types of weather, hot or cold they keep the foot comfortable, therefore an area which has different weather in a year, this is the best choice whereas steel toe is suitable more for indoor work and for the area where the weather is less cold.
- Steel toe provides more protection to the foot and therefore is considered for the dangerous workplace mostly while the composite toe is less protective.
- When compared in terms of affordability, steel toes are less expensive or more affordable, which attracts lots of customers, while composite toes are more expensive and not an ideal choice by many.
- They also differ in appearance. Composite toe is bulkier, providing space or room for toes and foot, whereas steel toes are not bulky or less bulky in comparison.
- Composite toe is not made up of steel and therefore offers electric resistance and doesn’t set off metal detectors, whereas steel toe does not provide electrical resistance at all and sets off metal detectors as they are made up of steel.
Therefore, now there should not be any confusion between both composite and steel toe. People have different preferences that mostly depend on their budget and needs. But the basic protection offered by both of them is the same. Therefore, the main factor should be the workplace that suits them best.
It recommended buying them after checking the workplace and the work you have to perform over there and then checked the footwear as there are some safety codes to follow. Other than this, it is highly dependent on the consumer’s choice.
Other than boots, there are safety measures that should be taken care of properly by the workplace.