Diseases can cause multiple problems to various body parts and affect the bodily functions of any living thing. All diseases are not dangerous or fatal. However, it is important to have prevention and, if infected, proper treatment for recovery.
Some of them have similar symptoms like Pneumonia and Covid 19.
- Coronavirus is a family of viruses that can cause respiratory illnesses ranging from the common cold to severe diseases like COVID-19.
- Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs caused by various pathogens, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi, which can result in inflammation and difficulty breathing.
- Preventative measures, such as vaccines and good hygiene practices, can reduce the risk of contracting coronavirus and pneumonia.
Coronavirus vs Pneumonia
Coronavirus and Pneumonia differ because a bacterial or viral infection causes pneumonia. Coronavirus or Covid 19 is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. There are other differences between the two in reference to their symptoms, causes, treatment, and their danger or the level of impact on one’s body.
The SARS-CoV-2 virus causes the infectious disease of Covid 19 or Coronavirus. It is an infectious disease and can spread rapidly.
This virus can spread even while talking to an infected person or even touching an infected place. This disease is what led to a global pandemic.
Pneumonia refers to lung inflammation. Any virus, bacteria, or fungi can cause this inflammation. In this condition, the air sacs get filled with pus, which can also become solid.
Its symptoms are cough, fever, and difficulty in breathing. It also has different stages.
|Parameters of Comparison||Coronavirus||Pneumonia|
|Meaning||The SARS-CoV-2 virus causes this infectious disease.||It is a lung inflammation as a result of infection (bacterial or viral). This can result in the air sacs being filled with pus and may become solid.|
|Symptoms||The most common symptoms include cough, fever, tiredness, and loss of taste or smell. Also, the effects of this virus are different for different people.||The most commonly known symptoms include a cough with pus, fever, chills and difficulty in breathing. All the symptoms are common.|
|Causes||This virus spreads through direct contact, touching of contagious objects, and tiny particles in the air.||Viruses, bacteria, and fungi can cause pneumonia.|
|Treatment||If the case is not much severe, the patient is home-quarantined. But in many cases, or in the case of senior citizens, the patient is hospitalized.||Mild ones can even be treated at home by intake of fluids, antibiotics, and rest. In severe cases, hospitalization may be required. Antiviral drugs for the treatment.|
|Danger||It is said to have long-term effects and is more dangerous than Pneumonia.||It is less dangerous than Covid 19.|
What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus or Covid 19 is the disease that caused a global pandemic. It is an infectious disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
The first case of this virus was detected in China. This virus can spread from an infected individual to another very quickly.
When air particles leave the infected person’s nose or mouth while talking, sneezing, or coughing, they can enter another person’s nose or mouth and spread the virus. The other way is that the particles settle on surfaces.
Due to this, the surface or object becomes infected. When another person touches the surface of an object and then touches their mouth, nose, or eyes, they are infected too.
This is why wearing a mask and sanitizing hands and surfaces became mandatory. Initially, the virus caused huge problems and even deaths.
Now, there are vaccines available that limit the spread of the virus. Also, new forms of coronavirus have been found in different countries, for example, The Delta. It is possible to cure covid 19.
Generally, they can be cured with the help of home- quarantine or medication. Otherwise, they are hospitalized.
The virus may have long-term effects on the health of the individual.
What is Pneumonia?
Pneumonia refers to an infection that causes inflammation in the air sacs. This disease can affect a single lung or, in some cases, both lungs.
When both lungs are affected, it is called double pneumonia, and it is more severe. The air sacs can also fill with purulent material, fluid or pus.
This can result in coughing with phlegm or pus, fever, chills, and difficulty in breathing. There are various organisms that can cause pneumonia which, includes viruses, fungi, and bacteria. It is compulsory to do medical tests or imaging.
Pneumonia has different stages. The seriousness or danger increases with every stage.
People with mild pneumonia can be treated at home. The short-term ones can be resolved within weeks.
This can be done by taking a lot of fluids, antibiotics, and, most importantly, proper rest. The other stages of pneumonia are treated under a doctor’s observation.
Pneumonia is a very common disease. There are some forms that can be prevented with the help of vaccinations.
It can be cured but also be proven fatal. In the case of infants, young children, and people over the age of 65, pneumonia can be really dangerous.
It can also be serious for people with other health problems like diabetes.
Main Differences Between Coronavirus and Pneumonia
- Pneumonia is a lung inflammation as a result of an infection (bacterial or viral). This can result in the air sacs being filled with pus and may become solid. The SARS-CoV-2 virus causes the Coronavirus.
- The most common symptoms of pneumonia include a cough with pus, fever, chills, and difficulty in breathing. All the symptoms are common. The most common symptoms of Coronavirus include cough, fever, tiredness, and loss of taste or smell. Also, this virus affects different people in different ways.
- Viruses, bacteria, and fungi can cause pneumonia. Coronavirus spreads through direct contact, touching off a contagious object and tiny particles in the air.
- Mild Pneumonia can even be treated at home by intake of fluids, antibiotics, and rest. In severe cases, hospitalization may be required. If the Coronavirus case is not much severe, the patient is home-quarantined. But in many cases, or in the case of senior citizens, the patient is hospitalized.
- Pneumonia is less dangerous than Coronavirus. Coronavirus is said to have long-term effects and is more dangerous than Pneumonia.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.