When it comes to the online community, it can be defined as a community whose members interact with one another chiefly through the Internet. The member generally shares a common interest.
Several applications are based on an online community like Crowdstack, Centercode, Eleyo, Hiverbrite, NING, Quip, and many more.
In terms of Discord and Reddit, they are secretly moving out of the way of other social platforms to become the number one available online community.
On both platforms, a more positive experience can be seen in comparison to other platforms. In this article, the chief focus is on differentiating discord and Reddit.
Discord vs Reddit
The difference between Discord and Reddit is their categories. Discord consists of categories are eSports management, live chat, collaboration, internal communications, screen sharing, messaging, team communication, learn chat, and then and many more. On contrary, social networking and social media are only two of the categories included in Reddit.
Discord is a free video, text chat, and voice app generally used by people ages 13+ with the users approx. tens of millions. The chief focus is to hang out and talk with their communities and friends.
Discord is used on daily basis to talk about things ranging from mental health support and homework to family trips and art projects.
Reddit is the forum and website of social news where content is socially promoted and curated by site members with the help of voting.
The member registration of Reddit is free and it is needed to use the basic features of the website. Its name is a play on words like “I read it.”
|Parameters of Comparison||Discord|
|Founded||In 2015||In 2005|
|Founders||Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy||Steve Huffman, Alexis Ohanian, and Aaron Swartz|
|Available in||30 languages||English and multilingual|
What is Discord?
Discord is a platform of digital distribution, instant messaging, and VOIP. users communicate with text messaging, video calls, voice calls, files, and media in private chats or as a communities’ part known as servers.
According to 2021, it had registered users of over 350 million and monthly active users of 150 million.
Discord is a software of persistent group chat based on an architecture of a consistent database.
It uses the metaphors of channels and servers similar to Internet Relay Chat even these servers fail to map to virtual servers or traditional hardware. In Discord’s servers, they are instead database entities.
Discord is built to manage and create public and private communities.
It offers user tools access focused mainly around communication services such as video and voice calls, persistent chat rooms, and other gamer-focused services integration.
In recent years, Discord’s new update made it useful also for the general population.
Discord also had a problem with abuse and hostile behavior within chats, with several chat communities servers being raided by other communities.
This consists of flooding with controversial topics about politics, race, religion, and pornography.
What is Reddit?
Reddit is an American web content rating, discussion website, and social news aggregation. only registered members submit sites content like text posts, videos, links, and images which are further voted down or up by other members.
The posts are generally organized by subject into boards of user-created known “subreddits” or “communities”.
It covers several topics like movies, news, religion, music, science, video games, cooking, sports, pets, image sharing, fitness, and many more.
Towards the top of the subreddit, the submission with more upvotes appears, and if enough upvotes are received, then ultimately on the front page of Reddit.
There are strict rules mainly for prohibiting harassment, while it still occurs, and administrators moderate the communities and restrict them on occasion.
Reddit is known for its diverse user and open nature community that leads its contents. The demographics allow for areas of the wide-ranging subject, as well as the ability to serve more niche purposes for smaller subreddit.
The possibilities that subreddits offer for fostering discussion and raising attention to create new possibilities across various areas.
Main Differences Discord and Reddit
- When it comes to an alternative, Rocket. chat, Slack, Element, and Wickr are some of the alternatives of Discord. On the other hand, the alternatives of Reddit are Zingr, Quora, Imgur, Facebook, Pinterest, etc.
- Platforms supported by Discord are Mac, Windows, Android, iPhone, Linux, iPad, and SaaS. In contrast, just like Discord Reddit also supports SaaS, iPad, Android, and iPhone but fails to support other platforms.
- The target audience of discord is mainly companies, small teams, and businesses. Any organization, whether small or large that wants live chat as well as an alternative to Slack then Discord is perfect. Conversely, in specific communities anyone who wants to upvote, post, or read a post on one of the largest websites in the world then Reddit preferred.
- In terms of integration, the integration of Discord is AppFollow, CloudShow, Shift, Torus, Desktop.com, and several others. On the flip side, the alternative source of Reddit is Integromat, StatusTicker, Wufoo, AUDIENCEX, Zapier, etc.
- The categories consist of Discord eSports management, live chat, collaboration, internal communications, screen sharing, messaging, team communication, learn chat, and then and many more. On contrary, there are only two categories included in Reddit are social networking and social media.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
I am Sandeep Bhandari; I have 20 years of experience in the technology field. I have various technical skills and knowledge in database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about me on my bio page.