With the time passed, the pharmaceutical sector has increased its production, and new researchers on different medicines and drugs for diseases minor to major have been developed. They came in tablet form, capsule form, powder form, injections, etc. The advancement in the pharmaceutical sector has led to building strong health infrastructure and reduced the mortality rate to quite an extent.
Emgality vs Aimovig
The difference between Emgality and Aimovig is that the key ingredient or drug used to prepare the medicine Emgality is gulcanezumab which is a monoclonal antibody, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the key ingredient or the drug used to prepare the medicine Aimovig is erenumab which is also a monoclonal antibody. Monoclonal antibodies are the antibodies of the immune system that are prepared in the lab by cloning certain white blood cells.
Emgality is a medicine that is available in the market by its brand name, and there is no generic medication available. The medicine is used as the preventive measure for the treatment of migration pain as well as the episodic cluster of headaches in adults. The main ingredient of the drug used to make it is galcanezumab.
Aimovig is a medicine which is approved by FDA on 17 May 2018. The medicine is available in the market by its brand name, and there is no generic medicine available for the same. The medicine is used for the treatment as a preventive method for migration pain in adults.
Comparison Table Between Emgality and Aimovig
|Parameters of Comparison||Emgality||Aimovig|
|Approval for Migration Prevention||27 September 2018||17 May 2018|
|Process of intake||It is given in subcutaneous layer self-injection, prefilled pen, or syringe.||Given on the subcutaneous layer self-injection by prefilled autoinjector.|
|Working||The drug binds to the CGRP which prevents its effect||The drug blocks the CGRP receptor.|
|Half Life||27 days||28 days|
|Used For||Treatment of migraine and the episodic cluster of headache in adults||Treatment of migraine in adults|
|Dosage||In starting 240mg then 120mg for migraine while 300mg (3×100mg) injection monthly for the episodic cluster of headache.||70mg monthly, while sometimes the dose can be doubled depending on the patient.|
What is Emgality?
Emgality is a medicine developed by Eli Lily and Company. The medicine got his approval for treating migration pain on 27 September 2018 while for treating episodic cluster of headache on 04 June 2019. The key product or ingredient or the chemical used in the preparation of the medicine is Galcanezumab. The half shelf life of the medicine is about 27 days.
The medicine is injected into the subcutaneous layer of the skin with the help of prefilled pen or syringe. The dosage composition given to the patient for treating migraine is about 240 mg, but later it can be reduced to 120 mg. While the dosage composition for the treatment of episodic clusters of headache is that the patients are given a dose of 300 mg (3 × 100 mg). The drug, when injected into the body it blocks the activity of certain proteins, which prevents the effect of CGRP.
Some of the side effects reported by the patients after using the medicine are – constipation, itchy skin, dizziness, welts, injection site reactions around 18%, anti-drug antibodies (up to 12.5%).
What is Aimovig?
Aimovig is a medicine developed by Amgen. The medicine Aimovig got his approval from FDA for treating patients (adults) with migraines on 17 May 2018. The key product or ingredient or the chemical used to prepare the medicine is known as Erenumab. The half shelf life of aimovig is around 28 days.
The medicine is injected beneath the skin with the help of prefilled autoinjector. The dosage composition given to the patient for treating its migraine pain is about 70 mg, while it can be doubled depending upon the need of the patient. After injecting the drug or medicine, it blocks the CGRP receptor.
In the market, the medicine is available by its brand name, and no generic medicine is available for the same. Some of the side effects reported by the patients after using the medicine are – constipation, itchy skin, tiredness, cramps, muscle spasms, injection site reactions of about 6%.
Main Differences Between Emgality and Aimovig
- The medicine Emgality got his approval for migration prevention on 27 September 2018, while on the other hand, the medicine Aimovig got his approval for migration prevention on 17 May 2018.
- The main ingredient or drug used to prepare the emgality medicine is galcanezumab-gnIm, while the main ingredient or drug used to prepare the aimovig medicine is erenumab-aooe.
- The process of taking the emgality medicine is that it is injected in the subcutaneous layer of the skin by the prefilled pen or syringe while on the other hand the aimovig medicine is injected in the subcutaneous layer of the skin by the prefilled autoinjector.
- The emgality medicine binds to the CGRP and prevents its effect, while on the other hand, the aimovig medicine blocks the binding of the CGRP receptor.
- The half shelf life of the emgality medicine is about 27 days, while the half shelf life of the aimovig is about 28 days.
- The medicine emgality is used for the treatment of migraine and the episodic cluster of headache in adults, while aimovig is only used for the treatment of migration pain in adults.
- The dosage of the emgality is given in initial days is 240 mg which is then lowered to 120 mg later for treating migration pain, but the dosage given for the treatment of episodic cluster of headache is 300mg (3 × 100mg) injection while on the other hand, the dosage of the aimovig given to the patient initially is 70 mg once in a month, but sometimes the dose of the medicine can be doubled depending upon the patient.
With the advantages of the growth in the health sector, there also comes the disadvantages as it goes hand in hand. With the improving technologies, it has made it easy for the production of the medicines to an extent at a thousand and millions scale at a time.
But with that, the cost of the medicine has also started varying, which makes it sometimes unable to be afforded by common people.
Perhaps, Emgality and Aimovig are a good alternative for each other if one is available. Despite the difference in their mode of action, they still are made for curing the acute pain caused by the migraine and the episodic cluster of headache.