The food sector today is huge and complex. It has developed to offer a huge diversity of dishes, ranging from starters to main course to desserts.
It is no secret that desserts are the most attractive dishes for the younger generations today.
Many confections such as cakes, ice creams, cookies, biscuits, pies, custard, pastries, and tarts are termed as desserts. Flan and Creme Caramel are among the most popular desserts today.
One often thinks that there are no differences between them, but they are different in view of the preparation methods and the ingredients used. Egg is the main ingredient in Creme caramel, whereas pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan.
- Flan is a dessert made from a sweetened egg custard, baked in a mold with caramel sauce at the bottom, and then flipped over to serve, resulting in a caramel topping.
- Crème caramel is another name for flan, used primarily in French-speaking countries, but both terms refer to the same dessert.
- Both flan and crème caramel are popular custard desserts with a caramel sauce topping. They are enjoyed in various cultures worldwide with slight variations in ingredients and presentation.
Flan vs Creme Caramel
The difference between Flan and Creme Caramel is that Creme caramel can be served as a dessert only, but Flan can be served as a main course as well as dessert. Flan can have sweet as well as savory filling, whereas Creme caramel is always sweet.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameter of Comparison||Flan||Creme Caramel|
|Definition||It is a dish with a base of open sponge or a round pastry and it can have a sweet, salty, or spicy filling.||It is a custard dessert garnished with a coating of caramel sauce.|
|Origin||Flan found its origin from the Roman cuisine.||Creme caramel found its origin from France.|
|Served||This dish is served cold.||This dessert can be served either hot or cold, according to a person’s liking.|
|Ingredients||Pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan.||Egg is the main ingredient in Creme Caramel.|
What is Flan?
Flan is a famous dish in Spain, which can be found all over the world today, with a few changes in its preparation. It is wrongly considered to be a dessert only; it can be served as a main course as well.
It is a dish with a base of open sponge or a round pastry and it can have a sweet, salty, or spicy filling. Pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan.
There are many varieties of flans:
1) A sweet pastry that is like tart and has filling is known as fruit flan. It is baked in a particular ring that does not have a bottom.
A baking sheet, on which the flan ring is placed is used to bake this fruit flan. Fresh fruits such as apricots, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, or combinations of these, or pastry cream are topped on the baked shell of the pastry.
2) A baked dessert of custard crowned with caramel is known as dessert flan. Then there is coffee flan, dark chocolate flan, mango flan, coconut flan, cream cheese flan, pineapple flan, Mexican flan, vegan flan, and so on.
Sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cream, and flavorings such as orange, coffee, vanilla, or coconut are the ingredients used to make a dessert flan. Being an egg-based custard, a flan is fragile and hence baked in water.
What is Creme caramel?
It can be said that the Creme caramel is one of the most classic and oldest desserts. It is served in almost all countries today and loved by many people.
It is a very delicious dessert and absolutely elegant. It found its origin from France.
It is perfect for parties or gatherings since it is one of those desserts that can be prepared in advance. This dish occupied a large area in the dessert menus of restaurants as it was convenient to prepare a lot in advance.
Creme caramel is a custard dessert garnished with a coating of caramel sauce. The sugar syrup is cooked to the stage of the caramel and is then added to the mold, on which the base of the custard is added.
Egg is the main ingredient in this dessert. The milk can be seasoned with cinnamon, vanilla, or lemon peel.
It can be served either hot or cold, according to a person’s liking. The final texture is creamy, slimy, and gelatinous and hence it has to be carefully dealt with since the custard may easily overturn.
Utmost care is also required to ensure that the dish is not overcooked or undercooked. To avoid burning the caramel, one must cook it in a bain-marie.
Main Differences Between Flan and Creme caramel
- Flan is a dish with a base of open sponge or a round pastry and it can have a sweet, salty, or spicy filling, whereas Creme caramel is a custard dessert garnished with a coating of caramel sauce.
- Pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan, while Egg is the main ingredient in Creme Caramel.
- Flan is always served cold. On the other hand, Creme caramel can be served either hot or cold, as the person prefers.
- Flan can be served as a dessert or even as a main course. Creme caramel can be served as a dessert only.
- Flan found its origin from the Roman cuisine, while Creme caramel found its origin from France.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.