The food sector today is huge and complex. It has developed to offer a huge diversity of dishes, ranging from starters to main courses to desserts.
It is no secret that desserts are the most attractive dishes for the younger generations today.
Some confections such as cakes, ice creams, cookies, biscuits, pies, custards, pastries, and tarts are desserts. Flan and Creme Caramel are among the most popular desserts today.
One often thinks there are no differences between them, but they are different given the preparation methods and the ingredients used. The egg is the main ingredient in Creme caramel, whereas pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan.
- Flan is a dessert made from a sweetened egg custard, baked in a mold with caramel sauce at the bottom, and then flipped over to serve, resulting in a caramel topping.
- Crème caramel is another name for flan, used primarily in French-speaking countries, but both terms refer to the same dessert.
- Both flan and crème caramel are popular custard desserts with a caramel sauce topping. They are enjoyed in various cultures worldwide with slight variations in ingredients and presentation.
Flan vs. Creme Caramel
Flan is made by combining eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla in a blender and baking in a water bath. Creme caramel is made by caramelizing sugar in a saucepan and pouring it into individual ramekins. The custard mixture is then poured over the caramel, and the ramekins are baked in a water bath until the custard sets.
|Parameter of Comparison||Flan||Creme Caramel|
|Definition||It is a dish with a base of an open sponge or a round pastry, and it can have a sweet, salty, or spicy filling.||It is a custard dessert garnished with a coating of caramel sauce.|
|Origin||Flan found its origin in Roman cuisine.||Creme caramel found its origin in France.|
|Served||This dish is served cold.||This dessert can be served either hot or cold, according to a person’s liking.|
|Ingredients||Pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan.||The egg is the main ingredient in Creme Caramel.|
What is Flan?
Flan is a famous dish in Spain, which can be found worldwide today, with a few changes in its preparation. It is wrongly considered a dessert; it can also serve as a main course.
It is a dish with a base of an open sponge or a round pastry, and it can have a sweet, salty, or spicy filling. Pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan.
There are many varieties of flans:
1) A sweet pastry with tart and filling is known as a fruit flan. It is baked in a particular ring that does not have a bottom.
A baking sheet on which the flan ring is placed is used for baking this fruit flan. Fresh fruits such as apricots, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, or combinations of these, or pastry cream are topped on the baked shell of the pastry.
2) A baked dessert of custard crowned with caramel is known as a dessert flan. Then there is coffee flan, dark chocolate flan, mango flan, coconut flan, cream cheese flan, pineapple flan, Mexican flan, vegan flan, and so on.
Sweetened condensed milk, eggs, cream, and flavorings such as orange, coffee, vanilla, or coconut make a dessert flan. An egg-based custard, a flan, is fragile and baked in water.
What is Creme caramel?
It can be said that Creme caramel is one of the most classic and oldest desserts. It is served in almost all countries today, and many people love it.
It is a very delicious dessert and elegant. It found its origin in France.
It is perfect for parties or gatherings since it is one of those desserts that can be prepared in advance. This dish occupied a large area in the dessert menus of restaurants as it was convenient to prepare a lot in advance.
The egg is the main ingredient in this dessert. The milk can be seasoned with cinnamon, vanilla, or lemon peel.
It can be served either hot or cold, according to a person’s liking. The final texture is creamy, slimy, and gelatinous; hence, it must be carefully dealt with since the custard may easily overturn.
Utmost care is also required to ensure the dish is not overcooked or undercooked. To avoid burning the caramel, one must cook it in a bain-marie.
Main Differences Between Flan and Creme caramel
- Flan is a dish with a base of an open sponge or a round pastry, and it can have a sweet, salty, or spicy filling, whereas Creme caramel is a custard dessert garnished with a coating of caramel sauce.
- Pastry, vegetables, and custard are the main ingredients in Flan, while Egg is the main ingredient in Creme Caramel.
- Flan is always served cold. On the other hand, Creme caramel can be served either hot or cold, as the person prefers.
- Flan can be served as a dessert or even as a main course. Creme caramel can be served as a dessert only.
- Flan found its origin in Roman cuisine, while Creme caramel found its origin in France.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.