We generally use the words’ growth and development to point towards specific changes in a person. However, most of the time, these two words are mistaken to have the same meaning.
But these words have entirely different meanings from each other in various aspects.
Growth vs Development
The difference between growth and development is that growth concentrates on just quantitative changes in a person, whereas development pays attention to quantitative and qualitative changes. When you notice the difference in a person’s height or weight, it is referred to as growth, whereas if u see changes in one’s intelligence or behavior, it is referred to as development.
Growth is the word that is generally used to note the changes in a person’s physical appearance. If a person’s weight or height increases during a course of time, it is known as growth.
It is an external change that can be seen from a naked eye. It is easily noticeable. These changes are biological, so they depend on the human body and most of the time on parental genes.
On the other hand, development is the word we use to note the changes in one’s personality and skills. It determines the overall change in a person, such as the changes in their IQ level, intelligence, crafts, activities, etc.
It is an internal change that can not be seen by a naked eye. To notice a person’s development, one has to evaluate him on various levels.
|Parameters of Comparison||Growth||Development|
|Definition||It is the measurable changes in a person.||It is the qualitative as well as quantitative changes in a person.|
|Type of change||Physical changes like changes in height or weight.||Changes in personality, intelligence, behavior, skills etc.|
|Reason||Biological changes depending on parental genes and nutrition.||Transformation depending on the environment a person is living in.|
|Appearance||Physical appearance’s changes.||Personality changes.|
|Noticeable||Easily noticeable since it is an external change.||Can not be noticed easily since it is an internal change.|
What is Growth?
Growth is a measurable parameter. It is used to point towards the physical changes as a person, such as their height or weight.
Supposed a person’s weight is increased during a particular period of time. It will be referred to as his growth.
Growth is an external change that can be seen from a naked eye. It is an easily noticeable change as we can tell when a person’s height or weight has increased just by looking at them.
Growth concentrates only on quantitative changes. However, growth does not continue for a lifetime.
It eventually stops at a certain age of a person. When a person reaches their adolescence there, growth is completed, and hence it does not continue any further.
Growth is the biological changes in a person’s body, so it majorly depends on the parental genes and the nutrition a person is getting. It only affects the physical appearance of the person.
What is Development?
Development depends on a person’s qualitative and quantitative changes—for example, a person’s IQ increases from 40 to 50. Here we have a quantitative measure, i.e., 40 to 50, as well as a quantitative measure, i.e., improvement in the IQ level.
It generally refers to the overall change in a person, such as the changes in their IQ level, intelligence, skills, activities, personality, etc. Development is an internal change that can not be seen by naked eyes.
It cannot be noticed easily since it is not a physical change. Through specific regular evaluations, we can detect the development of a person.
It will help us to understand the changes in their behavior and skills through a period of time. Development does not depend on biological changes.
It depends on organizational conversion. And hence development never stops.
It continues throughout a person’s life. Development is basically the change in one’s character and skills, and therefore it depends on the environment in which a person is growing up.
It affects a person’s mental characteristics, like their emotional state, intelligence, and behavior. Development is responsible for enhancing a person’s personality.
Main Differences Between Growth and Development
- Growth is a measurable parameter in a person, whereas development can be both qualitative and quantitative.
- Growth generally refers to the physical changes in a person, such as their height or weight. At the same time, development refers to the overall changes in a person’s personality, intelligence, and skills.
- Growth is an external change and can be noticed easily since it changes a person’s physical appearance. Whereas development is an internal change and hence to see it, one must go through thorough evaluation for a while.
- Growth is a biological change in a person’s body, and therefore it depends a lot on the parental genes and the nutrition that a person is getting. In contrast, development is dependent on the organizational conversion of a person, and hence it depends on the environment a person’s living in.
- Growth does not continue throughout the life of a person. It eventually stops at a certain age, whereas development does continue throughout the life of a person.
- Growth affects a person’s physical appearance, while development affects the mental characters such as the emotional state, intelligence, skills, character, personality, etc.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️