Both Hindu Astrology and Western Astrology are equally effective as they use various methods to determine a person’s behavior, nature, vents, and prediction. The difference in both the methods lies in the fact that Hindu Astrology follows the Sidereal system based on the position of the constellations while Western Astrology uses the Tropical Calendar to determine to aforementioned elements.
Hindu Astrology vs Western Astrology
The main difference between Hindu Astrology and Western Astrology is that the zodiac signs are determined based on the position of the Constellation, which is also known as the Sidereal Zodiac, whereas in Western Astrology, it is based on seasonal matters and thus also called to be Tropical Zodiac.
In Hindu Astrology, the Constellations play a major role in the determination of the person’s behavior, nature and fortune. It uses other planets like Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars , Saturn, Jupiter, and two nodes of the moon which are Rahu and Ketu. The combination of Planetary movements and the Date of Birth of the subject are used for the production of the Horoscope in Hindu Astrology.
Western Astrology believes that the Sun is the most important factor. The Sun Western Astrology majorly influences all the events that take place on the Earth is mainly Horoscopic and where the sky has been divided into 88 constellations and consists of 12 signs.
Comparison Table Between Hindu Astrology and Western Astrology
|Parameters Of Table||Hindu Astrology||Western Astrology|
|Zodiac signs||The zodiacs are determined based on Constellation.||The zodiacs are determined seasonally.|
|Planets||The planets are only visible,||The planets are visible, plus Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.|
|Planets in Signs||It is used in various ways, usually to understand the planet’s strengths.||It is central to the chart interpretation.|
|Rulership of the signs||Traditionally, Aquarius to Saturn, Scorpio to Mars, and Pisces to Jupiter.||Scorpio to Pluto, Aquarius to Uranus, and Pisces to Neptune.|
|House System||Two major house systems are used.||It is ascendant on the first house cusp. One of the many systems are selected.|
|Aspects||Opposition and Conjunction by whole signs.||Aspects are only related to planets and angles.|
|Basis of Calculation||It is based on the date and time of birth of the subject.||It is only based on the date of birth of the subject.|
|The shape of Jataka or Janam Kundli|
In Hindu Astrology it is square in shape.
|In Western Astrology, it is circular in shape.|
What is Hindu Astrology?
The system of Astrology in Hindu Astrology is known as Jyotisha. It is known by various names like Vedic Astrology or Indian Astrology. Some controversies relate to the fact that the Hindu Astrology might have developed from the interaction of Greek Astrology as well. Hindu or Vedic Astrology predicts the events or behavior of an individual by calculation the movements of celestial bodies. Hindu Astrology mainly consists of the Sun, Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars, and the two nodes the moon- Rahu and Ketu. Hindu Astrology is not influenced by the planets Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto unlike Western Astrology. The Date of Birth and the planetary movements together combine to produce a horoscope. The Jataka is square in shape in Hindu Astrology.
Vedic Astrology has six different branches:-
1. Gola- It deals with the Astronomical position of the planets.
2. Ganita- These are the mathematical tools that are used to derive the calculations of the astronomical positions.
3. Jataka – This is basically an individual’s birth chart, which consists of character, trait, success, luck, and failure.
4. Prashna- This branch deals with the process of finding answers to an individual’s question. It mainly depends on the time when the question is asked and also the date and time of birth of the individual.
5. Muhurta- It deals with the time when a person takes life’s most important decisions.
6. Nimita- It depicts war and disease.
What is Western Astrology?
Western astrology is a system of astrology that is largely popular in western countries. Western Astrology uses the principle of Tropical Zodiac to predict the luck or future events of any person or individual. Western Astrology has its beginning from Ptolemy’s Tetrabiblos, which is a continuation of Babylonian traditions.
The main principle of Western Astrology is the relationship of the Sun and the Earth and is only dependant on the Date of Birth of the person or individual. Babylonian astrology and thoughts have a close relation to European thoughts and traditions. In western Astrology, there are a total of 12 signs, and these signs are divided into four basic elements of the Earth, which are Fire, Earth, Air, and Water.
These signs are also divided into three qualities Cardinal, fixed, and mutable. The shape of the Jataka is Circular which is much different from that of Hindu Astrology. Western astrology does not consider Constellation during and calculation. Since Western Astrology is entirely dependant on the position and the movement of the Sun, thus it is mainly used to focus on the Psychology, character, and personality of an individual. It does not use the “Dasha System,” unlike Hindu Astrology.
Main Differences Between Hindu Astrology and Western Astrology
- The zodiac signs are determined by the position of constellations known as the Sidereal Zodiac in Hindu Astrology. In contrast, it is determined seasonally in the case of Western Astrology, which is known as Tropical Zodiac.
- Hindu Astrology had its roots 500 years ago in India, whereas Western Astrology had its origins 2000 years ago in Greece and Babylon.
- Hindu Astrology uses Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, and Rahu-Ketu, which are the two nodes of the moon, for the calculation of prediction. Western Astrology only uses planets like Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto.
- Hindu astrology uses both the date and time of birth for the calculation of while western astrology only uses the date of birth.
- The shape of Jataka or Janam Kundli in Hindu Astrology is Square, whereas that of Western astrology is Circular.
Based on cosmic movements and positions, Vedic or Hindu Astrology is one of the oldest practices of the Hindu Culture, which is dated around 500 years ago in India. Western Astrology was born in 18th BC Babylon, which is 2000 years ago. Western astrology focuses on the utilization of all the significant and vital planets like Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Hindu Astrology uses only the visible planets and uses some traditional calculation. Some believe that Hindu or Vedic Astrology is more accurate than Western astrology since, in Western Astrology, Yearly predictions are calculated by using the sun sign. Hence all people born within the same month will have the same sun sign, and therefore it would inherit a certain set of characters.