Science has taught us several things which have enhanced our knowledge and wisdom. One topic that is vastly covered in science is the states of matter.
The state of matter is of three types: solid, liquid, and gas. Liquid exists as ice, water, and steam. Ice and water are pretty different from each other.
- Ice is the solid state of water, characterized by a crystalline structure and low-energy molecules.
- Water is the liquid state of H2O, featuring higher energy molecules and greater molecular motion than ice.
- Water and ice differ in density, with ice being less dense than water, so ice floats on the water’s surface.
Ice vs Water
Water is a liquid state of H2O at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. Water is a colourless, odourless, and tasteless liquid essential to life on Earth. It is a highly polar molecule. Ice is the solid form of water. It forms when water is cooled below its freezing point of 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit), and its molecules slow down and pack more closely together.
Ice is a solid and complex form of water. Water converts into a solid ice structure when the surrounding temperature stops at or below 0° Celsius or 32° Fahrenheit.
Several places that experience cold climatic conditions may also experience the formation of ice caps, glaciers, hail, snow, and ground ice.
Water is one of the most important resources the planet has been gifted to. Humanity. It is used in several activities, including king, cleaning, washing, etc.
It is in the liquid state and turns solid below 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit) and gaseous above 100° Celsius (212° Fahrenheit).
|Parameters Of Comparison||Ice||Water|
|Significance||Ice is a solid form or state of water. It has a stiff, rigid, and three-dimensional structure.||Water is made up of several molecules of hydrogen and oxygen.|
|State||Water is found in a liquid form and is mobile.||Water exists when temperatures range between 0° Celsius and 100° Celsius.|
|Temperature Of Formation||Ice exists at a surrounding temperature of 0° Celsius (32° F) or less than that.||Ice is used in various factories to make products and in hospitals and nursing homes.|
|Uses||Ice can be found in ground ice, hail, and river ice.||Water is used for cleaning and washing purposes. It also helps quench one’s thirst.|
|Examples||Water is found in rivers, lakes, oceans, seas, and ponds.||Water is found in the form of rivers, lakes, oceans, seas, and ponds.|
What is Ice?
The different states of matter include a form of solid, which is ice in the case of water. It requires a specific range of temperature to exist in a solid phase. The temperature must be less than 0° Celsius for water to appear and exist as ice.
Ice has a few unique properties that are:
- It has a low density.
- It has quite a high volume strength.
- It exists in a solid phase.
- The structure of an ice cube is crystalline.
- It exists below a temperature of 0° Celsius.
Ice exists in several cold countries in various or several forms. Some of its forms are listed below:
- Sea ice
- Ground ice
- Frozen ground
Ice serves us with several advantages or uses. A few of its benefits are given below:
- It helps reduce pain and swelling.
- It smoothens the blemishes on one’s skin.
- It helps in the treatment of various problems like piles.
- It helps in providing relief from toothache.
- It removes tan and sunburn.
Ice is manufactured by several well-established companies:
- Arctic Glacier Inc.
- Reddy Ice Holdings Inc.
- Home City Ice Company.
- NKK Ice Factory.
- Snowy Ice Plant.
- Maria Ice Cube.
What is Water?
Water is the most important source of minerals and vitamins. It serves the thirst of millions and keeps us hydrated. It is used to carry out several daily activities.
The temperature range between 0° Celsius and 100° Celsius helps water to exist in a liquid phase.
Water serves us with a variety of benefits:
- It helps flush out all toxins from one’s body.
- It enhanced the skin’s complexion.
- It helps maintain regularity.
- It removed tiredness and fatigue.
- It promotes stamina and energy.
- Water serves certain other medical advantages:
- It helps get relief from constipation.
- It cures headaches.
- It is quite useful in the treatment of kidney stones.
- It helps in weight loss.
Water is a low-volume but high-density state of matter. It is formed by the fusion of two types of hydrogen and oxygen molecules.
Two hydrogen molecules fuse with a single oxygen molecule via an intermolecular force to form a water molecule.
Given below is a list of a few water manufacturing firms:
- Nestlé Pure Life
- Glaceau Smart Water
- Deer Park
- Thames Water
- United Utilities
Water exists in different forms in different countries. It could occur as a large ocean or a tiny rain droplet. Groundwater and ponds are also various other forms of water.
Main Differences Between Ice and Water
- Ice is solid, while on the other hand, water is liquid.
- Ice formation temperature is equal to or below 0° Celsius, whereas the formation temperature of water ranges between 0° and 100° Celsius.
- Ice is made up of several similar molecules while on the other hand, water is made up of two separate molecule types
- Ice has a high volume density, while on other hand, water has a comparatively low volume density.
- The density of an ice cube is low, whereas the density of water is comparatively higher.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.