Science has taught us a number of things which has enhanced our knowledge and wisdom. One topic that is vastly covered in science is the states of matter. The state of matter is of three types that are solid, liquid, and gases. Liquid exists as ice, water, and steam. Ice and water are quite different from each other.
Ice vs Water
The main difference between ice and water is that the former is a solid form of water and maintains its shape when kept in a container while on the other hand the latter is a liquid form of water and takes the shake of any container it is stored or kept in.
Ice is a solid and hard form of water. Water converts into a solid ice structure when the surrounding temperature stoops down to or below 0° Celsius or 32° Fahrenheit. A number of places that experience cold climatic conditions may also experience the formation of ice caps, glaciers, hail, snows, and ground ice.
Water is one of the most important resources the planet has gifted to. mankind. It is used in a number of activities that include drinking, cleaning, washing, etc. It is in the liquid state and turns solid below 0° Celsius (32° Fahrenheit) and gaseous above 100° Celsius (212° Fahrenheit).
Comparison Table Between Ice and Water
|Parameters Of Comparison||Ice||Water|
|Significance||Ice is a molecular solid that is made up of a number of molecules held together by intermolecular forces.||Water is made up of several molecules of hydrogen and oxygen.|
|State||Ice is a solid form or state of water. It has a hard, rigid, and three-dimensional structure.||Water is found in a liquid state and it is mobile in nature.|
|Temperature Of Formation||Ice exists at a surrounding temperature of 0° Celsius (32° F) or less than that.||Water exists when the temperature ranges between 0° Celsius and 100° Celsius.|
|Uses||Ice is used in various factories to make products and is also used in hospitals and nursing homes.||Water is used for cleaning and washing purposes. It also helps quench one’s thirst.|
|Examples||Ice can be found in the form of ground ice, hail, and river ice.||Water is found in the form of rivers, lakes, oceans, seas, and ponds.|
What is Ice?
The different states of matter include a state of solid which in the case of water is ice. It requires a certain range of temperature to exist in a solid phase. The temperature needs to be less than 0° Celsius for water to appear and exist as ice.
Ice has a few unique properties that are:
- It has a low density.
- It has a quite high volume strength.
- It exists in a solid phase.
- The structure of an ice cube is crystalline in nature.
- It exists below a temperature of 0° Celsius.
Ice exists in a number of cold countries in various or several forms. Some of its forms are listed below:
- Sea ice
- Ground ice
- Frozen ground
Ice serves us with a number of advantages or uses. A few of its benefits are given below:
- It helps reduce pain and swelling.
- It smoothens the blemishes on one’s skin.
- It helps in the treatment of various problems like piles.
- It helps in providing relief from toothache.
- It removes tan and sunburn.
Ice is manufactured by a number of well-established companies:
- Arctic Glacier Inc.
- Reddy Ice Holdings Inc.
- Home City Ice Company.
- NKK Ice Factory.
- Snowy Ice Plant.
- Maria Ice Cube.
What is Water?
Water is the most important source of minerals and vitamins. It serves the thirst of millions and keeps us hydrated. It is used to carry out a number of daily activities. The temperature range between 0° Celsius and 100° Celsius helps water to exist in a liquid phase.
Water serves us with a variety of benefits like:
- It helps flush out all toxins from one’s body.
- It enhanced the skin’s complexion.
- It helps maintain regularity.
- It removed tiredness and fatigue.
- It promotes stamina and energy.
- Water serves certain other medical advantages like:
- It helps get relief from constipation.
- It cures headaches.
- It is quite useful in the treatment of kidney stones.
- It helps in weight loss.
Water is a low volume but high-density state of matter. It is formed by the fusion of two types of molecules that are hydrogen and oxygen molecules. Two hydrogen molecules fuse with a single oxygen molecule via an intermolecular force to form a water molecule.
Given below is a list of a few water manufacturing firms:
- Nestlé Pure Life
- Glaceau Smart Water
- Deer Park
- Thames Water
- United Utilities
Water exists in different forms in different countries. It could occur as a large ocean or a tiny rain droplet. Groundwater and ponds are also various other forms of water.
Main Differences Between Ice and Water
- Ice is solid in nature while on the other hand, water is liquid in nature.
- The formation temperature of ice is equal to or below 0° Celsius whereas the formation temperature of water ranges between 0° and 100° Celsius.
- Ice is made up of a number of similar molecules while on the other hand, water is made up of two separate molecule types
- Ice has a high volume density while on the other hand, water has a comparatively low volume density.
- The density of an ice cube is low whereas the density of water is comparatively higher.
There exist two forms of water. One is the solid form and the other is the liquid form. The solid form is referred to as ice and the liquid form is referred to as water. Both forms or states have different qualities and characteristics.
Ice is found in cold areas like Atlanta, Greenland, and other cool places. It acquires various forms like hails, snow, ice beds, etc. The structure and shape of an ice cube don’t change according to the shape of the storage box it is kept in.
Water is used in various cleaning activities. It is the most important natural resource that helps us serve our thirst. It is present in several forms.