India has a diverse culture that is comprised of people who belong to various religions and communities. Indian and Punjabi are two interrelated terms.
People who live or reside in India are considered Indians while Punjabi are those people who reside in the Punjab region.
As the Punjab region was divided earlier during the time of partition of India, hence some Punjabi live in India and others would be in Pakistan.
Indian vs Punjabi
The main difference between Indian and Punjabi is that Indian is the consolidated term used for those people who live in the country ‘India’. India is comprised of people from various religions, castes, and communities that live together and follow their culture and values. On the contrary, the Punjabi term is specifically used for those people who originate from the Punjab region and mainly live in the north part of India. Punjabi also reside in Pakistan because few region or part of Punjab is located in Pakistan.
Indian is used for those individuals who are natives of India. India is officially called the Republic of India. It is a country situated in the south Asia region and the seventh-largest country in the world by area.
India is popular for its unity in diversity because the nation is comprised of people who belong to various cultures and communities.
Punjabi is the term used for the people of Punjab. In other words, people who are originated from the Punjab region are considered Punjabis.
Punjabi people are majorly found in the North part of India and a few regions of Pakistan as well because Punjab gets divided into two parts during the partition of India and now there would be Indian Punjab and Pakistani Punjab.
Comparison Table Between Indian and Punjabi
|Parameters of Comparison||Indian||Punjabi|
|Meaning||People who are the native of the Republic of India are considered as Indian||Punjabi are those individuals who belong or originated from the Punjab region|
|Language||Indian is comprised of people who belong to different communities, caste, and religions and speak different languages.||Punjabi majorly speak one language and that is Punjabi (also called Gurmukhi and Shahmukhi)|
|Religion||Indian follow various religions that include Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Jainism, and Buddhism||Punjabi living in India mainly follow Sikhism, and those who are living in Pakistan follow Islam|
|What is it?||Indian is used for the individuals who are living in a country called ‘India’ which is situated in the South Asia region of the world||Punjabi is used for a specific group of people originating from the Punjab region which is situated in North India|
|Foreign Country||Any individual who resides in a foreign country cannot be considered an India unless they are a natives of the country||Punjabi reside worldwide in different countries. They are not particularly associated with a specific country.|
What is Indian?
Indian is the Republic of India and every individual who originated from India or the native of the country is considered as Indian. India is a country situated in the south Asia region of the world.
The country is popular worldwide for the culture and the unity it represents in diversity. India has the highest number of languages spoken countrywide. Every state in the country has a different culture and values.
Indians belong to various religions mainly including Hindu, Islam, Sikhism, Buddhism, Christianity, Jainism, etc. India is a populous country that contributes nearly 17% of the total population of the world.
Apart from the tribes and castes, India has various linguistic groups as well that are different from one another.
What is Punjabi?
As the name suggests, the term ‘Punjabi’ is used for those individuals who are originated from the Punjab region. After the partition of India, Punjab is divided or segmented into Indian Punjab and Pakistan Punjab.
Punjabi live majorly in the north part of India. The primary language of these people is Punjabi only and they follow their respective cultures, values, and tradition.
In the cultural aspect, Punjabi people are associated with Indo-Aryan people culturally and also located worldwide in the countries like Canada, New Zealand, Australia, USA, etc.
Even in Pakistan, nearly 39 percent of the population is comprised of people who belong to the Punjab region or are considered Punjabi, but the language they used is majorly not Punjabi but instead, they use hindko, potwari, etc.
Main Differences Between Indian and Punjabi
- Indian and Punjabi are two interrelated terms. People who are the native of the Republic of India are considered Indian. On the contrary, Punjabi are those individuals who belong to or originated from the Punjab region.
- Indian is a wide term that includes people from various cultures, tradition, tribes, and castes that have a different perspective and spoke different languages. Indian speaks hundred of languages but Punjabi on the other side speak one major language and that is Punjabi (also called Gurmukhi and Shahmukhi).
- Indian follow various religions that include Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Jainism, and Buddhism. On the contrary, Punjabi living in India mainly follow Sikhism and those who are living in Pakistan follow Islam.
- Indian is used for the individuals who are living in a country called ‘India’ which is situated in the South Asia region of the world. On the contrary, Punjabi is used for a specific group of people who originated from the Punjab region which is situated in North India.
- Indian is used for those who are natives of the country Republic of India. Any individual living in a foreign and not a native of India is not considered Indian. While Punjabi is located worldwide and not specifically associated to one country. Any individual originated from the Punjab region considered as Punjabi. The person doesn’t need to be individually related to the region.
Indian and Punjabi are used to define people who belong to a particular country or region. Both of these terms are related to each other. Indian is associated with individuals living in India while Punjabi represents the people of Punjab.
They vary from each other in one or another way and also have some similarities.
Indian is a wide term that includes various religion, communities, and tribes but Punjabi include people who follow Sikhism and originate from Punjab region.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Table of Contents