There are millions of cars driving on the road at this moment. All of these vehicles are produced by various car manufacturers. Every vehicle in the world is marked with some identification mark for easy recognition.
Through these marks, ordinary people can easily distinguish a car from others.
Most car dealers often talk about “make and model of a car” to easily distinguishing a car. This term often confuses many people, they often mix-up with the term “make of a car” and “model of a car”.
Most people often think these two are the same and maximum time they provide the wrong information to others.
- The make of a car indicates the manufacturer or company that produced the vehicle, such as Ford, Toyota, or BMW.
- The car model refers to the specific product line or designs the manufacturer produces, such as Ford Mustang, Toyota Camry, or BMW 3 Series.
- Both make, and model is essential for identifying and distinguishing vehicles and providing information on brand reputation, design, features, and potential resale value.
Make vs Model Of Car
The difference between make and model of a car is that the term “make of a car” refers to the manufacturer of the car which can be identified by its logo like Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc; while the term “model of a car” refers to a certain variant of car produced by any specific vehicle manufacturer which can identify by its batch and VIN like LX, EX, EX-T, etc.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameter of Comparison||Make of a car||Model of a car|
|What is it||Manufacturer of the car||A certain variant of car produced by any specific vehicle manufacturer|
|Examples||Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc.||LX, EX, EX-T, etc.|
|Subsidies||Locally produced vehicles or zero-emission vehicles.||Economic car models or low emission car models.|
|Taxes||Foreign manufactured cars||Luxury car models|
|Identification||Logo||Batch and VIN numbers|
What is Make Of Car?
The term “make of a car” refers to the manufacturer of the car. Currently, there are several established car manufacturers are present in the world.
These car companies do business in various countries and sell their car all over the world. Some popular car manufactures of this word are Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc.
Even though most car companies have production facilities in every continent, but most of the time the car is associated with its origin of manufacturer.
As an example, Volkswagen & FCA have a car production facility in the USA but most people refer to these USA produced cars as European. Similarly, Ford & Nissan both produce cars in Europe but these cars are considered as American and Japanese cars.
Few large car manufacturers use different brand names for new lines of car production. In such cases, people do not refer to the parent company as the carmaker.
Instead, they refer to the subsidiary brand as the carmaker. As an example, Toyota produces luxury cars under a different company name of Lexus.
Here people refer to Lexus as the carmaker, not the Toyota. The “make of a car” can easily be identified by its logo.
To encourage car production of local car companies, many nations put import duties on various cars. Similarly, they also give subsidies to local car companies.
Many nations also give subsidies to those car companies that produce green emission vehicles. Tesla is one such company that gets various subsidies from governments for zero-emission vehicle production.
What is Model Of Car?
The term “model of a car” refers to a certain variant of car produced by any specific vehicle manufacturer. It may include different trim levels, colour, model year, or a specific class of vehicles.
All vehicles available on the road can be classified in different categories according to their body style, such as Sedan, Hatchback, SUV, Coupe, Convertible, Wagon, etc.
The interior design of the vehicle is commonly known as trim level and it can be different for a given car model. As an example, Honda Civic sedan car offers different trim level choices to the buyer like LX, EX, EX-T, etc.
The model year also provides a key piece of information about the model of a car. It explains in which year the car was designed for. As an example, the 2018 Honda Civic car model says that the car was designed for the year 2018.
Most countries often put extra taxes on luxury car models. Similarly, they also offer various subsidies on economic car models and low emission car models.
The model of a car can easily be identified by the batch behind every car. Vehicle producers also mention the car model number on the VIN of the vehicle.
Main Differences Between Make and Model Of Car
- The term “make of a car” refers to the manufacturer of the car, while the term “model of a car” refers to a certain variant of car produced by any specific vehicle manufacturer.
- Examples of some car manufacturers are Toyota, Ford, FCA, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen, Tesla, etc. On the other hand, some examples of car models are LX, EX, EX-T, etc.
- Those car manufacturers who locally produce vehicles or zero-emission vehicles only get subsidies from the government. However, economic car models or low emission car models get subsidies from the government.
- Most governments put import taxes on foreign-manufactured cars. On the other hand, most buyers of luxury car models have to pay extra taxes.
- Make of a car can easily identified by the logo of the manufacturer. But the model of a car can only be identified through its batch and VIN.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.