Digital Marketing and Digital Advertising are essential techniques for publicizing any product or business on the digital platform. They are ways to attract more and more consumers to a particular service through the Internet.
- Marketing encompasses promoting and selling products or services, while digital advertising refers to online promotion strategies.
- Marketing involves research, product development, pricing, distribution, and communication, but digital advertising focuses on reaching target audiences through digital channels.
- Digital advertising is a subset of marketing, utilizing online platforms and tools to engage and convert potential customers.
Marketing vs Digital Advertising
A proper marketing plan is made for digital marketing. Goals and budget is defined for digital marketing. A digital marketing plan can be long term. There are different types of digital marketing. Digital advertising is done to promote business. Sales can be increased through advertisements. Large number of people can be targeted through advertisements.
Digital Advertising would include any advertisement or promotion we might see in between a particular video. In contrast, Digital Marketing focuses on reaching out to a particular person with a specific need.
Digital Marketing starts right from the inception of a product or a brand. It involves all the activities that go into making a marketing strategy.
Whereas Digital Advertising comes later when the product or service is ready to be showcased to its customers.
|Parameter of Comparison||Digital Marketing||Digital Advertising|
|Nature||It is more strategic, i.e. it involves all acts like planning, setting goals and budgets, and developing means to achieve the objectives.||It is more tactical, i.e. it only involves how you promote your particular business or product.|
|Duration||Marketing is a strategy or plan that works in the long run, has great potential, and cannot be easily replicated.||Advertisements are done for a short period until it reaches a maximum number of consumers and can be easily replicated by others.|
|Purpose||Marketing is the strategy involved in developing a particular brand or product; all the means have been taken up to make the brand unforgettable.||Advertisements are promotional messages solely to increase sales and promote a particular brand.|
|Specificity||Marketing strategies are explicitly created and carefully crafted to help build a connection and address the needs of specific people.||Advertisements target a large set of people and are more of non-personal communication.|
|Cost-effectiveness||They are considered more cost-effective as they have a higher potential to convince people due to their specific nature and high returns.||They are considered expensive as advertisements are not target-specific and only provide returns if they convince many people.|
What is Marketing?
Digital Marketing uses various strategies and tactics to help form a connection with consumers and has a lasting impression on their minds through online platforms.
Unlike Digital Advertising, marketing focuses more on promoting brands or services in a more person-oriented way, meaning they are crafted to cater to the needs of a few interested persons, thus increasing chances of ROI (Returns on Investments).
The critical method followed in Digital Marketing is developing a marketing strategy that puts the host at places where particular followers of the host hang out and then using digital channels to connect with them through various means, know their problems and offer specific solutions.
Different kinds of Digital Marketing techniques are:
- Content Marketing: This involves the creation of content for promotions and creating brand awareness through blog posts, ebooks, whitepapers, and Infographics.
- Affiliate Marketing: This strategy involves promoting someone else’s products or services on the host’s websites, for example, by hosting ads through the YouTube Partner Program.
- Email Marketing: Emails are often used as a marketing means to promote content, discounts, and other features of a company by way of blog subscriptions, etc.
- Inbound Marketing: This methodology involves attracting and engaging customers at every stage of their buying process through video pop-ups and commercial ads.
What is Digital Advertising?
It is the process of promoting brands, products, or any other services through digital platforms like social media, search engines, or any other applications that can be digitally accessed. Though there are traditional advertising methods like newspapers, pamphlets, and so on, digital advertisements take them to a whole new level.
Since they are digital, it is easier to track virtually how every customer takes a step or reacts to these ads. This, in turn, shows each company or brand what kind of image they have in the consumer markets.
There are various Digital Advertising formats:
- Search Engine Marketing: The ads that appear on the top of any search engine like Google or Yahoo. These ads must be paid for either when someone clicks on it for every 1000 impressions, regardless of the clicks.
- Display Ads: These are the basic and standard images, texts, or banners we see as pop-ups or on third-party sites.
- Social Media Ads: These ads are frequently seen on social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter, which provide the most significant number of audiences to view the product.
- Native Ads: These ads don’t look like typical ones, appear under the ‘recommended’ category, and match the content a person is searching for.
- Remarketing: Also known as ‘retargeting’, these ads show the exact product we must have checked on another site.
Main Differences Between Marketing and Digital Advertising
- Digital Advertisements are broadcasted to a broader set of people, hoping to reach at least a few interesting ones. At the same time, Digital Marketing explicitly chooses a set audience who are interested and fulfilling their demands.
- Digital Advertisements use ads as their basic propaganda medium, while digital marketing could be in various forms like a blog post, a podcast, or a tiny video.
- Advertisements are disruptive forms of communication as they disrupt almost everyone from watching or reading what they wish to. Marketing tends not to be over-generalized and addresses only the concerned ones.
- The main difference is that Advertisements remain in people’s minds for a shorter time and target immediate sales. At the same time, well-crafted marketing strategies tend to have a long-lasting effect on people and influence their choices and preferences.
- Digital Marketing is often considered a short-span activity and a part of a well-structured marketing plan. In contrast, marketing is a never-ending process that starts from the inception of a business until its dissolution.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.