The mattress is a large soft thing that is used to lie on to sleep and generally put on a bed. The right mattress is vital for good and enough quality sleep. It can be an expensive endeavor to buy a whole new mattress. Sometimes renting is not a possible way to switch out a mattress.
In these cases, mattress accessories come into play. It can be a perfect choice to customize a bed to be perfectly suited to needs. It can be quite confusing between mattress pad and topper and can make matter worse if used interchangeably. This article highlights the differences between the mattress pad and the mattress topper to clear up the confusion.
Mattress Pad vs Mattress Topper
The difference between the mattress pad and mattress topper is that the mattress pad increases the comfort of the bed and protects the mattress from contaminants and accidents. On the other hand, a mattress topper is used to provide extra pressure relief and lengthen the life of a new mattress.
A mattress pad is commonly a fairly thin layer of padding or quilting within the fitted sheet or with straps of elastics to anchor it to the mattress. Over a mattress, it attaches like a fitted sheet and won’t shift at night. Mattress pads are generally made of fibrous paddling and quilted cotton as opposed to foam.
A mattress topper is quite similar to a mini mattress. It is a thin cushioned layer and can be stacked on the mattress top to change the way it feels. To give a supportive feel or an innerspring mattress a foam feel is made up of foam.
|Parameters of Comparison||Mattress Pad||Mattress Topper|
|Interpretation||On a bed, it works as a covering that goes under a sheet to protect.||On top of a mattress, it is a removable layer to provide support and cushioning.|
|Thickness||Less than 1 inch||Greater than 1 inch|
|Maintenance||Several are machine washable||Cumbersome to clean|
|Protection from wear||Not effective compared to mattress topper||Superior protection due to thickness|
|Purpose||Improves protection and adds a bit of softness||Makes the mattress firmer or softer|
What is Mattress Pad?
The mattress pad is generally placed on top of a mattress to alter its feel or shield it from accidents, dirt, and liquids. They do not drastically change the firmness level of the bed because it is generally 1 to 2 thick at most.
A mattress pad can be made from materials obtained naturally or synthetically, or simply a combination of both. They can make a feel more plush rather than significant pressure relief. Depending on the style, and materials used in the construction of the mattress pad, the feel of a bed varies.
There are several different mattress pads available on the market which are designed with different goals. Such as to protect it from everyday tear and wear or to keep sleepers cool. Its performance ultimately depends on the construction material such as feather, fiber, or wool.
The mattress pad is used to modify the comfort level of a mattress. It can give structure to a soft design to a firm model adds a level of plushness. It can shield a mattress from mites, dust, and other allergens depending on the model.
What is Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is usually a more substantial material layer that noticeably changes mattress firmness level. It is made from materials with a huge variety and can be thick anywhere from 1 to 4 inches. They are not generally intended to protect the mattress from other contaminants.
Mattress toppers are usually made in mattress sizes of six standards. Some of them are designed to directly rest on top of the mattress, whereas others have straps of elastic to ensure a secure fit. It can notably change the firmness level of the mattress in either direction
A plush and thick model of topper can add extra cushioning to a simple bed. Even the best topper fails to fully restore an old mattress. Mattress toppers can temporarily compensate for slight indentation or sagging.
Mattress topper can be useful to slow down typical tear and wear. It can also increase the overall height of the mattress. It would change the feel of the bed rather than replacing a whole mattress. Some of the toppers are made to give pressure relief and to isolate motion or keep sleepers.
Main Differences Between Mattress Pad and Mattress Topper
- The usage of a mattress pad is to increases the comfort of the bed and protects the mattress from contaminants and accidents. But mattress topper provides extra pressure relief and lengthen the life of a new mattress or revitalize an old one.
- Mattress pads offer some materials which prevent spills from soaking through. On the other hand, mattress toppers are not resistant to stains or spills.
- The benefits of a mattress pad are that it is easy to transport, reduce unwanted noise of a mattress, and is generally stable unlikely to move around. The benefits of the mattress topper are that it offers additional support, customizable comfort, and protection from sagging.
- When it comes to drawbacks, the mattress pad can be prone to damage and be flimsy depending on the type and does not offer extra support. On the flip side, the drawbacks of the mattress topper are that it makes the bed warmer and difficult to maneuver.
- In terms of field, the bed feels slightly plush with a mattress pad, but it won’t alter the firmness level. Depending on the kind of mattress topper, it can make a mattress firmer or softer.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️