Microsoft and Apple are arguably two of the biggest well-known names in the tech space. The long-running between Microsoft and Apple showdown has shifted from its roots of software to a hardware battleground.
In which MacBooks generally duke it out against laptops of the surface.
Microsoft introduced Microsoft Surface, while Apple launched its MacBook Air. Over the past years, Apple has got the best of Microsoft, but each new Microsoft Surface launch gets closer to dethroning the crown of MacBook Air.
In this article, the main focus is on differentiating Microsoft Surface and MacBook Air.
Microsoft Surface vs MacBook Air
The difference between Microsoft Surface and MacBook Air is their connectivity specs. Microsoft Surface comes with one USB, one USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, a Surface connect port, and a headphone Jack. On the other hand, two USB 4 ports are to be used for connectivity of Thunderbolt 3 and a headphone Jack in MacBook Air.
Microsoft Surface quickly received media attention because they offer a multi-touch interface system’s unique utilization by using an object.
Users can configure real-world objects with the help of bar code as a means of interaction with the surface computer. Microsoft Surface uses the electrical properties of fingers to detect touch.
The MacBook Air’s portability has been a large fragment of its appeal by many product updates. Along with being portable and small, it also appeals to users for many reasons like dual-core processors, fast CPUs, backlit keyboards, etc.
At the time of its original introduction to the market, it was the thinnest and lightest PC of its kind.
|Parameters of Comparison||Microsoft Surface||MacBook Air|
|Processor||AWD Ryzen 5 46800U||8-core M1|
|Operating system||Windows 10 or Pro or 11 Home||macOS|
|GPU||6-core AMD Ryzen Microsft Surface Edition||7-core integrated|
|Biometrics||Windows Hello||Touch ID|
What is Microsoft Surface?
The Microsoft Surface is a computer that helps users to interact with it through an ordinary object rather than through a keyboard and monitor.
The commands are input with the help of bare hands through dragging or touching the designated interface’s surfaces.
Just like multi-touch devices in today’s world, Microsoft Surface is enabled with drag and touch commands to copy, display, enlarge, paste and hide multimedia data.
There is a Bluetooth device like a camera placed on the surface interface that was accessed and detected by the computer.
It is more evolution compared to revolution as into the same lightweight and slim packing improved components. It is more reflective compared to most and does not worth anything if it has to be used under direct sunlight or bright light regularly.
Clean and loud sound can be expected from the Microsoft Surface. Its screen has its charms, especially while editing or reading can be benefited from the extra vertical space. Sometimes washed-out and dull scenes can be seen in many cases while watching any video.
What is MacBook Air?
From Apple, MacBook Air is a lightweight and thin laptop. It falls into a classification that vendors call ultraportable. It has a casing of anodized aluminum that is 0.76 inches at its thickest point and 0.16 inches at its thinnest.
It is often considered the same size as a paper pad. MacBook Air comes with technology of built-in Bluetooth wireless for syncing and connecting the laptop to a cell phone, wireless headset, and PDA.
It also has a camera of embedded insight capable of recording video as well as taking photos. The MacBook Air fails to come with a CD/DVD drive. For installing software through a disk, there are two options for the consumer.
First to buy an external Superdrive of MacBook Air or use the remote disk feature for wirelessly connecting to other CD/DVD drives of the computer.
For Internet/network connections, MacBook Air uses Wi-Fi with 802.IIn wireless networking features. Due to its less power consumption, LCD free from arsenic and mercury and aluminum body makes it environmentally friendly.
Main Differences Microsoft Surface vs MacBook Air
- When it comes to dimensions, Microsoft Surface offers a dimension of 12.1 x 8.8 x 0.57 inches. On the other hand, 11.97 x 8.36 x 0.16 are the dimensions of the MacBook Air.
- Microsoft designed the Microsoft Surface’s keyboard to be flat, which makes it among most people less appealing. In contrast, a scissor keyboard mechanism is offered with MacBook Air which is far better than the previous MacBook generation’s butterfly keyboard mechanisms as well as when compared to the Microsoft Surface’s keyboard.
- Microsoft Surface is available in numerous colors such as cobalt blue, matte black, sandstone, and platinum. Therefore, Microsoft Surface would be ideal for a premium feel and look. On the flip side, MacBook Air has an enclosure of signature aluminum and comes only in gold, space gray, and silver colors.
- The Microsoft Surface scores a win for offering a 13.5-inch and 2256 x 1504-pixel display with an aspect ratio of 3:2. Meanwhile, the MacBook Air has a 13.3-inch and 2560 x 1600 pixel retina display which is not just smaller but also sticks with the aging aspect ratio of 16:9.
- In the connectivity area, Microsoft Surface is far better than MacBook Air. Microsoft Surface offers one USB, one USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, a Surface connect port, and a headphone Jack. Conversely, two USB 4 ports are to be used for connectivity of Thunderbolt 3 and a headphone Jack in MacBook Air.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
I am Sandeep Bhandari; I have 20 years of experience in the technology field. I have various technical skills and knowledge in database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about me on my bio page.