‘Cheese was created accidentally’. This fact of cheese became known to the world and it was then we got different varieties of cheese.
And the two most famous are Mozzarella and Parmesan. Mozzarella cheese is a traditional item for the Italians.
The cheese is made from Italian buffalo’s milk by the pasta filata method.
The Parmesan cheese, on the other hand, is another famous variety of cheese. The Parmesan cheese is produced from cow’s milk after aging it for about 1-3 years.
The name of Parmesan has got a history behind it and the name had come up after the producing areas, the provinces of Parma.
- Mozzarella is a soft, mild cheese made from cow’s milk or buffalo milk and used in a variety of dishes, while Parmesan is a hard, aged cheese made from cow’s milk and is primarily used as a seasoning.
- Mozzarella has a creamy texture and a mild, slightly sweet taste, while Parmesan has a dry, crumbly texture and a strong, nutty flavor.
- Mozzarella is commonly used in pizzas, sandwiches, and salads, while Parmesan is typically grated over pasta dishes, soups, and risotto.
Mozzarella vs Parmesan
The difference between Mozzarella and Parmesan Cheese is their ingredients in it. The Mozzarella is made from buffalo’s milk whereas the Parmesan cheese is made from cow’s milk. Many people think that these two tastes the same but they are not the same.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameters of Comparison||Mozzarella||Parmesan|
|Processing Time||The Mozzarella Cheese is a soft cheese that does not require much time to process.||The Parmesan Cheese is a hard cheese that requires about 1-3 years of storage for processing into its final product.|
|Milk Used||Buffalo milk is used to make Mozzarella cheese.||Cow’s milk is used to make Parmesan cheese.|
|How Easy to Cook||Because of its soft texture Mozzarella is easy to cook.||Parmesan cheese is one of the examples of hard cheese which makes it a little tough while cooking.|
|Uses||Mozzarella cheese due to its softness is mostly used in foods like pizzas or any other food that has got a cheesy taste.||Parmesan cheese due to its hardiness is mostly used as toppings on foods like salads and spaghetti.|
|Types||Mozzarella has got two types of cheese: fresh and aged cheese.||The Parmesan cheese does not have any types but when it is kept for a longer period time then there is a change of taste in them a little.|
|Flavour||Regular||Strong, just a little part can lend a cheesy essence.|
|Popular delicacies made||Pizzas||Pesto|
What is Mozzarella?
Mozzarella is a type of cheese that falls under a variant of cheese.
The Mozzarella cheese is a soft cheese that is mostly made of buffalo’s milk.
The cheese has a spongy-like texture which makes it very different from Parmesan cheese. The Parmesan cheese is a hard cheese.
The Mozzarella cheese also has two kinds: they are the fresh ones and the aged ones. The fresh Mozzarella cheese is hand- molded into a ball shape and then it is stored in brine and it is served soon when it is made.
On the other hand, the aged Mozzarella cheese has a slightly yellow colour in them. If aged properly then it sharpens the flavour and the texture is softer.
Over aging makes the cheese too soft which becomes difficult for chefs to use as toppings or chop or slice it.
However, milk from cow can also be used to make this cheese. It is the procedure of making that makes all the difference.
The process of making Mozzarella cheese is quite easy because you do not need to store for a long period of time and keep it for several months in the storage room.
The milk that the cheese is being made of is stored carefully in the storage area for the formation of cheese curds and then it is taken out after it reaches a preferable appearance.
And for the old Mozzarella cheese, the milk is to be kept for much longer.
What is Parmesan?
Parmesan cheese, on the other hand, is another type of cheese that is a bit hard than Mozzarella cheese. The Parmesan cheese falls under the hard-type of cheese.
The Parmesan cheese is largely used for toppings for this reason only. Due to their hardness, it makes them difficult to cook.
However, the flavor is strong in Parmesan than Mozzarella. Maybe due to their long process of storage, the flavour comes in as a strong one.
If you try a small part from the whole you can get a string essence from it and you will not need any more than that.
The Parmesan cheese was actually made of Buffalo’s milk but nowadays it can be made from cow milk too.
Parmesan’s long time procedure for storage makes them an expensive cheese variant.
Main Differences Between Mozzarella and Parmesan
- Mozzarella cheese is a softer cheese than Parmesan cheese. However, if you want the strong flavour of the cheese in your delicacy then you must go for Parmesan cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese was traditionally made of buffalo’s milk and Parmesan cheese was made of buffalo’s milk too. But, nowadays both the cheese is made of cow’s milk only.
- Both these cheese have got different uses in different delicacies. The Mozzarella cheese is mostly used in pizzas as an ingredient whereas Parmesan cheese is used as toppings only.
- Both these cheese have got very high nutritional value.
- These cheeses have got two different tastes. This means that you cannot use one instead of the other however, both are very similar.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.