Everyone gets panic when comes to know of a major disease, they start seeking the medication by consulting professionals or on the internet.
But not many show this type of concern of chronic or small problems, which might be the reason for the serious disease.
It is important to treat any health-related problem at the correct time or on initial days; an example of such problems is the digestive issue or gastric problems.
They are very common and can happen to anyone; therefore, everyone should take proper care of them.
Some medication can be taken to cure or help such problems are omeprazole and pantoprazole.
Omeprazole vs Pantoprazole
The difference between Omeprazole and Pantoprazole is in their dosage and affordability. Omeprazole may only need to be consumed for 4 weeks in some cases, while pantoprazole is used for at least 8 weeks to complete the treatment. They also differ when it comes to who can consume it. Omeprazole can be consumed by everyone (except children below 1 year), while Pantoprazole cannot be consumed by children below 5 but everyone above that. Pantoprazole cannot be afforded by everyone, and therefore, omeprazole is the most considered option. They also have a different brand name. Last Pantoprazole has fewer side effects in comparison to omeprazole.
Omeprazole is a medicine used for the treatment of several diseases such as gastroesophageal disease, etc.. This is sold under the brand name Prilosec among others.
The standard dosage of this medicine is 20 mg once daily and can be taken for 4 to 8 weeks depending upon the treatment and guidance of the doctor. They can be easily affordable and used by children above a year old.
Pantoprazole is also a medicine used for treating several stomach-related diseases. This is sold under the brand Protonix among others. This can be used for short-term treatment, for example, 8 weeks only.
The standard dosage of this medicine is 40 mg once daily. It is quite expensive than other available medicines and can be consumed by everyone above 5 years old.
|Parameters of Comparison||Omeprazole||Pantoprazole|
|Standard dosage||20 mg||40 mg|
|Treatment duration||4 to 8 weeks||Up to 8 weeks|
|Used by||Children 1 year and older||Children 5 year and older|
What is Omeprazole?
It is mainly used for decreasing the acid produced in the stomach. Following is some information about Omeprazole:
- Molar mass: 345.4 g/mol
- CAS ID: 73590-58-6
- Formula: C17H19N3O3S
- Boiling point: 600 °C
- Treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Promote healing of damage caused by stomach acid to the esophagus.
- Treating gastric ulcer.
- Control heartburn.
Following are some precautions that must be taken before consuming omeprazole:
It should be avoided if you are allergic to:
- If you are allergic to any similar medicine.
- Have breathing problems or any kidney-related problem.
- You are on HIV medication.
You have to seek professional help in case of the following:
- A problem in swallowing.
- Vomit that looks like blood or blood stooling.
- Frequent chest pain.
- Liver disease.
In general also if you are facing any issue or difference from the routine, you should consult a professional before intaking the medicine.
- It can cause extreme stomach aches and bloody stool that may be watery.
- Unusual pain in the hip, back, or any other part of the body.
- It can also cause a seizure.
- In some cases, it can also cause some serious kidney-related problems.
- Cause low magnesium.
What is Pantoprazole?
It is for the treatment of most of the stomach-related problems caused by acid production. Following is some information about Pantoprazole:
- Molar mass: 383.371 g/mol
- CAS ID: 102625-70-7
- Boiling point: 586.9°C
- Use for the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or any related problem.
- For treatment of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
- Any other condition that involves stomach acid.
Precautions that should be taken:
- It should be avoided if you are taking any of these medicines edurant, complete, juluca, odefsey.
- If you have any other disease such as breathing or kidney related.
- If you have experienced an allergic reaction with similar medicines.
- Other problems that may include pain or vomit should also be told to the doctor before consumption.
The dosage of this medicine depends upon the age of the person, which should be prescribed by the children; otherwise, the standard dosage mentioned on the packaging should be taken by the children above 5 years and all adults.
These medicines might have some side effects too, that can be pain, vomit, kidney problem, etc.
In case of any minor problem, it can be ignored or stopped by not consuming the medicine any further, but if some major side effects must be checked by the professionals immediately.
Main Differences Between Omeprazole and Pantoprazole
- Both Omeprazole and Pantoprazole are sold under different brand names, but mainly the brand name under which the omeprazole is sold is Prilosec, whereas the Pantoprazole is sold under the brand name of Protonix.
- Both of them are different when it comes to daily dosage. Omeprazole’s dosage is less in comparison, which is 20 mg once a day, whereas in the case of Pantoprazole daily dosage is relatively high that is 40 mg once a day.
- They also differ in terms of their treatment duration; Omeprazole can be used only for the duration of 4 weeks minimum and a maximum of 8 weeks, while with Pantoprazole, it usually takes 8 weeks at least for complete treatment.
- Omeprazole can also be consumed by children below the age of 5 years but above 1 year, but Pantoprazole cannot be recommended for consumption by children below 5 years old. Although both of them can be consumed by adults.
- In terms of affordability, Omeprazole can be easily affordable as it is not very much expensive or less expensive when compared to Pantoprazole which is relatively more expensive.
- Lastly, they also have different side effects. For example, cough and back pain could be among many side effects caused by Omeprazole, while they are not caused by the consumption of Pantoprazole. Also, omeprazole can cause acid regurgitation, which is also not caused by Pantoprazole.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️