Sexuality refers to the way how a person experiences and express themselves sexually. It may include biological processes, emotional aspects, social behavior, spiritual feelings, etc. There are various kinds of sexuality experienced in people, based on that people are known as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, autosexual, demisexual, omnisexual, pansexual, non-sexual, homosexual, sapiosexual, etc.
Omnisexual and Pansexual are the two terms that are often confused with one another. Both may be attracted to the individual of any gender, the omnisexual person is aware of the gender of the partner individual but pansexual person is not aware of the gender of the partner individual.
Omnisexual vs Pansexual
The important difference between Omnisexual and Pansexual is that of the gender blindness. Omnisexual are the persons who are attracted towards the individual of any gender although they are completely aware of the gender of their partners. Pansexual are the persons who are attracted towards a person regardless of their gender because they believe that the gender has no role to play in romantic relationships.
Comparison Table Between Omnisexual and Pansexual
|Parameter of Comparison||Omnisexual||Pansexual|
|What does it mean?||An omnisexual is a person who is interested or attracted to individuals of any gender but is completely aware of the gender of the partner individual.||A pansexual is a person who is interested or attracted to the individual of any gender but thinks that gender do not exist.|
|Origin of terms||The term omnisexual dates back to the year 1959 when it was first used in some written works.||The term pansexual first appeared in 1970.|
|Awareness of gender||Omnisexuals are not regarded as gender blinds since they are completely aware of the gender of the other individual.||Pansexual persons are regarded as gender blinds because the gender of the partner individual is not important to them.|
|Characteristics||Omnisexual individuals think that gender exists but do not bother them. They may choose male, female and any other individual as their partner.||Pansexual individuals are generally on the young side of the adulthood. They do not take gender into consideration when it comes to selecting a partner.|
|Pride flags and their colors||The pride flag of omnisexuals consists of five horizontal bars, the color of these bars are light pink, pink, light blue, blue and dark blue.||The pride flag of pansexuals consists of three horizontal bars of blue, yellow and pink colors.|
What is Omnisexual?
Omnisexual is an orientation that defines how an individual feels towards another individual. Omnisexual person is attracted to an individual may it be male, female or any other gender. They have their preference of the genders and it depends on how comfortable they are with a particular gender.
The term omnisexual came into existence in 1959 when it was used by Lawrence Lipton in his poetry but the current definition prevailed In 1985 when it appeared in a text named Sexual Choices- An Introduction to the Human Sexuality. It was not a common word until recent times, people became aware of it when some celebrities came out as omnisexual.
Omnisexual people are aware of the genders are therefore are not regarded as gender blinds. They see different genders with a different perspective and also believe that the traits strictly depend on the genders.
The pride flag of omnisexuality has five horizontal bars of light pink, pink, light blue, blue and dark blue colors.
What is Pansexual?
Pansexual is a type of romantic, sexual or emotional attraction towards a person irrespective of their gender, their partner can be a male, female or other gender individuals. Pansexual individuals think that there is no gender when it comes to selecting their partners.
The term pansexual was first used in psychology. The current definition of pansexual emerged in the 1970s. Pansexuality generally arises in the young adulthood in people.
Pansexual people are always referred to as gender blinds because they are completely unaware of the gender of their partners. The pride flag of pansexuality consists of three horizontal bars of blue, yellow and pink colors.
Main Differences Between Omnisexual and Pansexual
- Omnisexual and Pansexual are the persons who are attracted to an individual of the same sex or of the opposite sex.
- The term omnisexual came into existence in 1959 when it first appeared in some written works whereas the term panswxual came into existence in 1970.
- Both the terms were not commonly known and are being used since the last few years.
- Omnisexual people are those who may be attracted to an individual of any gender and is aware of the gender of their partner, on the other hand, pansexual people are those who may be attracted towards the individual of any gender but do not have the awareness of the gender of their partners.
- Omnisexual people are not referred to as gender blinds since they are aware of the gender, on the other hand, asexual people are referred to as gender blinds because of their unawareness of the genders.
- Omnisexual people think that gender does exist but do not take gender into consideration while choosing a partner, on the other hand, for pansexual person think gender does not exist and therefore are regardless of the gender of the partner.
- The pride flags of omnisexual and pansexual consist of horizontal bars, the flag of omnisexual has five bars and the flag of pansexual has there bars.
- The colors of the five horizontal bars of the flag of omnisexuality are light pink, pink, light blue, blue and dark blue, on the other hand, the flag of pansexuality has blue, yellow and pink colors.
Omnisexual and pansexual people may be attracted to individuals of the same or different genders but what matters for them is the relationship that they share with their partner. Society should respect their sexuality and should not discriminate based on that.