The smelling sense is one of the primary senses gifted to humans by nature. The standard population underestimates the importance of the smell most of the time.
Some studies say that memories created with an association with smell make stronger neuronal connections inside the brain, aiding better and sometimes vivid remembering of those memories. The scent is also found to be playing an essential role in the development and maintenance of relationships between people.
Such pleasant smells can be artificially deployed or stored with products like perfume and toilettes. A pleasant fragrance elevates the people’s mood in the surroundings and creates a positive and motivating environment.
There is a therapeutic branch called Aromatherapy which focuses on healing many disorders using the power of pleasant fragrance.
- Perfume, or parfum, has a higher concentration of fragrance oils (20-30%) than eau de toilette (5-15%), leading to a longer-lasting and more intense scent.
- Due to its higher concentration, perfume is generally more expensive than eau de toilette.
- Eau de toilette is considered more suitable for daily use, as it has a lighter scent, while perfume is reserved for special occasions or evening wear.
Perfume vs Toilette
The difference between the perfume and the toilette is that the concentration of oils used is more in perfume when compared to the toilette.
|Parameters of Comparison||Perfumes||Toilette|
|The concentration of aromatic oils||More||Less|
|Time of usage||During evening||Commonly during daytime|
|Temperature of use||During cold weather||Warm and humid weather|
|Lasting time||5 to 8 hrs||3-5 hrs|
|Sprays required for use||Less number of jets would do||Lesser but more frequent sprays will be needed as they fade quickly.|
What is Perfume?
Perfume is a product that contains a mixture of aromatic, fragrant oils extracted or produced specially from different sources, such as flowers, synthetic substances, and animal products, and mixed into solvents, additives, and fixatives. The final product made from the above process will enable us to deploy the pleasant fragrance of our choice in a time and place of our need.
Perfumes have been used since ancient times by humanity for various purposes. They initially extracted the aromatic oils from the plants by pressing and streaming the parts of the plant, having the potential to create pleasant odours.
When used by two people, perfumes may not give the same smell on both of them, as there are several other factors like body odour, body chemistry, body temperature, and many more, which are also deciding factors in the deployment of the smell. According to current statistics in the market, the United States is the capital of perfume marketing in the world, with each sale crossing billions of dollars.
The perfume-making process has many steps: collection, extraction, blending, and ageing. The product will be evaluated carefully in each stage of this process to ensure the quality of the perfume.
Several civilizations in the history of humanity were found to be using perfumes for various cultural and religious purposes. There is also a record that during the plagues, the physicians used fragrance therapy using cloves, cinnamon, and many more spices to relieve and cure diseases during ancient times.
The essential uses of wearing perfumes are,
- Refreshes mood and atmosphere: A well-selected perfume will refresh the surroundings and the atmosphere in which it is deployed.
- Boost confidence level: An excellent fragrant perfume will boost the confidence of an individual appearing for a performance in public or an august gathering.
- Better sleep at night: Fragrance with some medical and natural ingredients was found to help treat insomnia.
- Best impression creator: A pleasant, appealing fragrance will create a good impression of ourselves to the people we are meeting and working with and to us.
- Pleasant memory creator: When used on a special occasion, a particular fragrance will create an embedding memory of those occasions in people’s minds. The scent, when used again, will bring back those pleasant, memorable events in people’s minds.
What is Toilette?
Toilette, commonly called Eau De Toilette, is a lightly scented product used for various purposes. They are also called toilet water, which is lower in the concentration of fragrant oils.
They are most commonly applied all over the body, after bathing or shaving. It is also to be noted that the application of the toilette best serves its purpose when applied over dry skin and areas with more heat production.
The heat in the body surface makes the applied toilette gradually diffuse into the skin and last longer. An unscented lotion can also be used before the application of the toilette, for it makes the scent of the toilette last longer than it will do.
Toilette will be more of a comfortable fragrant product to be worn during work and in the daytime as it is more dilute and will give you compliments and not complaints. The concentration of the fragrance concentrate in the toilette will be around 5 to 15 per cent dissolved in the alcohol.
The fragrance may last for about 3 to 5 hours. The advisable application method for the toilette would be to start with a light spray on the chest or base of the throat, wrist, or inside of the elbow, then add more sprinkles if the fragrance fits you.
Main Differences Between Perfume and Toilette
- The perfume will have more concentration of the fragrant oils with a lesser amount of solvents. Toilette will have a more secondary concentration of fragrance oils.
- Perfumes will be of more excellent value when used at evening parties where the strong fragrance will be complimented. Toilette will provide comfort during work, and a lighter fragrance will be appreciated.
- Perfumes are of great help in colder weather. Toilette is used more often in a warm and humid climate.
- Perfume, as it contains more concentration of fragrance essence, it lasts for more time(5 to 8 hrs). Toilette will last for less time( around 3 to 5 hrs).
- Perfume requires less spray and will deploy a more concentrated fragrance for a longer time possible. Toilette will require more frequent sprays as they made fade in a shorter time, but in humid climates, they may reignite the fragrance sometimes when it comes to moisture.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.