Animals are an essential part of diversity; from the times of early humans, animals have played a significant role and have been beneficial for humans in one or the other sense. They were earlier used for their flesh, but with the development of the human mind, animals served more purpose.
When agriculture was established, animals started rearing; cattle were reared for purposes like meat, poultry, dairy products, protection, companionship, fieldwork, and transportation. Later on, animals were also used as pets, wherein their function was to provide protection and be used as companions.
From the times of kings and queens, pets like dogs, horses, cats, cows, buffaloes, etc., were kept. In the modern world, one popular species is now common as a pet.
Dogs are known as best friends of humans, as they are loyal to their masters and act as friends to people, which curbs their loneliness. Sometimes people who do not have a family own dogs as their family.
Having a dog as a pet is one of the best therapies for people suffering from mental illness. The life of dogs is not more than 15 years though exceptions are always there. Their protective nature is admirable.
Dogs are even useful in police or forces in the country. Thus, proving themselves as the most beneficial animals.
- Pitbull is a term that can refer to several breeds of dogs, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They all shared similar physical characteristics and were originally bred for bull-baiting and dog fighting.
- The American Staffordshire Terrier is a specific breed recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC), characterized by a muscular build, broad head, and short coat. It is included under the umbrella term of “pitbull.”
- Both pit bulls and American Staffordshire Terriers have a history of being bred for strength and tenacity. Still, the term pitbull can encompass multiple breeds, while the American Staffordshire Terrier is a distinct breed recognized by the AKC.
Pitbull vs. American Staffordshire Terrier
The American Staffordshire Terrier is a medium-sized breed, over time, it has become more of a family companion and is known for its loyalty, courage, and affectionate nature. The Pitbull, which is short for American Pit Bull Terrier, is also a medium-sized breed that was developed in the United States for dog fighting.
|Parameters of comparison
|American Staffordshire Terrier
|Calm and intelligent
|Police and homes (security)
|Companion for household
|Variety of coat colors
|A large variety is found
|Limited variety is found
|Biggest and heaviest
What is Pitbull?
Pitbulls are members of the molosser breed group. They cross between terrier and bulldog, originally from Scotland, Ireland, and England. Pitbulls are known for their qualities; some of their admirable qualities include passion, willingness, high pain tolerance, fighting prowess, etc. there is one more quality that is desirable for police and the army, and that quality is aggression.
Pitbulls are used as household companions, guardians in managing livestock (early time), police, and therapy. They benefit people out and want security in their homes; they are aggressive but not toward humans.
Pitbulls are turned extremely obedient and docile with proper training; they are reliable and have high energy, so they are considered fit for guarding and police work. They are properly employed as police and even retire after a few years.
Their lifespan is 12 to 16 years on average; they are the biggest and heaviest Molossus breed, having a height of 18 to 22 inches and weighing approximately 22 to 110 pounds; they are muscular. They have powerful hind legs making their pushing power strong.
Some critics claim pitbulls are inherently dangerous as they have violence in their genes. Therefore regardless of their training and treatment, somehow, they will turn dangerous.
There is a large variation that can be seen in pitbulls in terms of their color of coat and pattern of the coat. They have pronounced jaws, broad and thick cheeks, and muscular necks, giving them a somewhat dangerous appearance.
What is American Staffordshire Terrier?
American Staffordshire terrier is a molosser breed group member, originally from England. Sometimes it is seen as a type of pitbull.
In early times they were used as helpers in farms, guards, and dogfights. And in the modern world, they are used as companions for the household and to guard the house.
They are mostly known for their friendly nature. American Staffordshire terriers are known for their affection, courage, friendly behavior, loyalty, devotion, etc.
They are famous for mingling with kids easily, but they do not get mixed with other pets. Their non-aggressive nature makes them suitable for friendship with children, and thus, they are not used in any violent spheres like the police.
They are cute, cuddly, and affectionate. In terms of appearance, they are less dangerous than pitbulls.
American Staffordshire terriers are the smallest of the Molossus breed, having a height of 17 to 19 inches and weight 40 to 50 pounds less than pitbull. Their life expectancy is 12 to 16 years. Their weight may vary from 28 to 40 kgs.
Their front legs are more robust and are found in a limited color range that is blue, white, red, brindle, or black. They appear somewhat similar to pitbull, like they have pronounced jaws, broad and thick cheeks, and muscular necks.
American Staffordshire terriers are not friendly with other pets. Thus, this makes them bark a lot when they cannot socialize. They tend to chew, dig, pull, or bark when bored.
Main Differences Between Pitbull and American Staffordshire Terrier
- Pitbulls are aggressive, whereas American Staffordshire terriers are known for their friendly and calm personality.
- Pitbulls are available in many colors and coat patterns, but American Staffordshire terriers have a limited range of colors in coats.
- Police or the army majorly use pitbulls, whereas American Staffordshire terriers are used for households only and are suitable for homes with kids.
- Pitbulls are the heaviest and most extensive of the molester breed; on the contrary, American Staffordshire terriers are the smallest of the Molossus breed.
- Pitbulls are known for their passion, physically powerful, and aggression. On the contrary, American Staffordshire is famous for its affectionate, cuddly, gentle behavior.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.