Across the country when the temperature starts to drop then we all look forward to snuggling in comfy blankets along for company some hot chocolate. A blanket is a cover manufactured of wool, etc., and put on beds mainly to keep people warm. Buying bedding is never easy, particularly these days when people are spoilt for choice.
To judge the material, feel, quality, and look can be difficult before actually using it on the bed. Quilt and Dohar are two of the materials famous for usage on bedding. In this article, the chief aim is on differentiating quilt and Dohar.
Quilt vs Dohar
The main difference between quilt and Dohar is that quilt might be given or made to mark important life events and also, for decoration on the wall or a bed, to offer warmth are some of its chief purposes. On the other hand, the Dohar gives both functionalities and a look to your bed. Dohar can trap the heat inside and in chilly winter to keep warm.
Quilts might contain valuable historical information related to their creators, “visualizing specific history segments in textured, tangible ways.“ Quilts are frequently displayed as art’s non-utilitarian works in the twenty-first century. Historically, quilts were used as bed covers in today this use persists.
Dohar is sleek bedding manufactured by stitching two cotton sheets with generally fannel or cotton layers in between the two sheets. Traditionally, it has been a blanket for summer. Throughout the year, it serves as ideal bedding when the temperature is cool 21- 24 degrees Celsius and when AC is turned on.
Comparison Table Between Quilt and Dohar
|Parameters of Comparison||Quilt||Dohar|
|Made||From two or more layers of fiber or fabric||From three layers|
|Material||Cotton||Either wool or cotton|
|Standard size||54 x 75 inches||60 x 90 inches|
|Symbolize||Passion and love||Cold seasons|
What is Quilt?
Traditionally, quilts comprise of woven back, a layer of batting, and a woven cloth top, all together stitched in decorative patterns. Distinctive from other bed cover’s form because they are usually pieced along with many clothes pieces.
There are several traditions concerning the usage of quilts. Modern quilts are not intended always for usage as bedding and might be used as table runners, tablecloths, or wall hangings. Also, in garment design, quilting techniques are often incorporated.
The quilt competitions and shows are held regionally, nationally, and locally. There are Internation competitions also specifically in Europe, Japan, and United States. Artistic expression, armor, commemoration, campaigning, gift, bedding are some of the reasons a person decides to make a quilt.
In the United States, the tradition of quilting is especially prominent where the creating warm bedding’s necessity met the local fabrics paucity in the early days of the colonies. Quilting was a communal activity comprising all the girls and women in a larger community or family.
What is Dohar?
Dohar is a term mainly used to imply layer. A Dohar blanket is an Indian summer traditional blanket comprised of three years and made up of fine cotton muslin. These layers are not quilted but generally stitched and can be either machine-made or homespun. Once upon a time, Dohar was very popular as a traditional bedding option. However, with period and more blanket options flooding the market and thus in popularity it witnessed a drastic fall. Dohar is rising once again in terms of popularity due to being in sync with nature.
Size, print, color, quality, and type of cotton used are some of the things to keep in mind when choosing Dohar. There is also a need to keep factor in mind that its primary usage. Dohar is appropriate for the climate if it is required to keep the chill away. Some of the pros of Dohar are airy, hypoallergenic, light, letting the body breath, and a good option for clothes of a baby swaddle. Also, it can be used as a piece of an AC blanket mainly during summer or simply during mild winters as a blanket.
Main Differences Between Quilt and Dohar
- The origin of the term quilt is traced back to Latin, namely Culcita which means mattress, cushion than in old French as cuilte and further named as a quilt. On the contrary, the term Dohar is traced back from a Hindi word, namely dohrana meaning layers.
- There are no such alternative names of the quilt as its term usage across the world is the same. On the other hand, Dohar has distinctive names in different world parts like a coverlet, thin blanket, duvet, AC Dohar, and Indian comforter.
- Some of the best quality manufacturers are Tex Styles Limited, Hast Shilp Quilts and Quilting Company, Lambiya Enterprises, VKV international, and ANU International. In contrast, Shoppers, Hub, ROMEE, S. Creation, Cozy Collections, and CRAFTOLA INTERNATIONAL are some of the manufacturers of Dohar.
- When it comes to classification, quilts can be classified mainly into three, namely embroidered quilts, applique quilts, and patchwork quilts. On the flip side, there is no as such as classification of Dohar because there is a range of Dohar available in the market.
- The purpose of the quilt is for decoration on the wall or a bed, to offer warmth. It might be given or made to mark important life events like the child’s birth, graduations, marriage. Meanwhile, the purpose of Dohar is to trap the heat inside and in chilly winter to keep warm. It also gives both functionalities and a look to your bed.
It can be concluded that both quilt and Dohar are two of the materials famous for usage on bedding. The origin of a quilt can be traced back to Egypt. Meanwhile, the origin of Dohar can be traced back to India. The symbol of the quilt is passion and love, while Dohar symbolizes the cool season. The standard size for the quilt is 54 x 75 inches. On the contrary, 60 x 90 inches is the standard size for Dohar.
The chief material used in the quilt is mainly cotton, whereas either wool or cotton are the chief material used in Dohar. The quilt is manufactured from two or more layers of fiber or fabric. In contrast, approx three layers are used to make the Dohar. Both of them can be laundered in a washing machine as well as by hand. They are available in markets as double bed sizes, kid’s beds, and single.