Bolt Action rifles have been available since the 18th Century. Over time, these rifles formed a formidable firearm during the World Wars too.
Bolt Action: This type of rifle needs manual intervention in handling the cartridges for both loading and unloading.
There are many types of Bolt Action rifles available in the world. The basic functionality of the bolt action remains the same. However, there are variants in the form of cartridge chambers and barrels.
The most prominent bolt action rifles are the Remington 700 ADL and BDL.
ADL: Average Deluxe
BDL: Better Deluxe
They both have similar operations. An ADL can be enhanced to BDL with specific changes in the base plate. However, they both differ from one another.
The name as well suggests that there must be operational ease and better functionality of the BDL rifles.
- Remington 700 ADL is a series of bolt-action rifles featuring a blind magazine, meaning the ammunition is loaded and unloaded through the top of the action, and lacks a floorplate.
- Remington 700 BDL is another series of bolt-action rifles equipped with a hinged floorplate magazine, allowing easier unloading and offering a higher-end finish.
- The primary difference between the Remington 700 ADL and BDL lies in the magazine design, with the ADL using a blind magazine and the BDL featuring a hinged floorplate magazine.
Remington 700 ADL vs BDL
The Remington 700 ADL and BDL are two models of the Remington 700 rifle series, with the BDL model featuring higher-end aesthetics and a hinged floorplate compared to the more basic ADL model.
|Parameter of Comparison||700 ADL||700 BDL|
|Magazine||It has a blind magazine. It is fixed.||It has a hinged magazine. It can be loaded without even moving the bolt|
|Base Plate||It does not have a baseplate||It has a base plate|
|Stocks||Made of wood or synthetic plastic||Made of only wood|
|Trigger||It cannot be adjusted, and it is prefixed for the amount to be shot||The trigger can be adjusted|
|Fore End Cap||ADLs do not have this||They are fitted with Fore-end Cap that acts as a recoil buffer|
What is Remington 700 ADL?
It is a bolt action rifle that was manufactured by the Remington Arms. This series of centre-fire bolt action rifles were manufactured in the year 1962.
The Magazine of a 700 ADL is considered blind. As such, it can be opened only from the top.
These rifles are differentiated based on the stocks too. The SPS has high-quality wood, and BDL has higher quality than SPS.
This indeed was designed to produce in mass which the American Government preferred that time. When the rifles were made, it was manufactured for the right-handers.
What is BDL?
It is a bolt action rifle manufactured by the Remington Arms along with the 700 ADL. The version of the centre fire rifle is slightly advanced compared to the 700 ADL.
The base plate in this model allows the user to load the firearm without moving the bolt. The fore-end cap at the tip of the stock is an added device to the BDL.
The trigger system, unlike the 700 ADL, can be adjusted. It is called the X-mark pro-trigger system. The BDL was the inspiration to make shotguns in future.
BDL is still the top-grade centre fire-hunting rifle, even after 50 years. The cartridge chamber has changed the most number of times in the history of BDL so far.
Main Differences Between Remington 700 ADL and BDL
- The main difference between Remington 700 ADL and BDL is the magazine type. The blind magazine type of 700 ADL makes it a bit rigid, while BDL has a hinged magazine that makes it flexible to load.
- The Remington 700 ADL does not have a base plate, whereas BDL has one, making it more versatile.
- Both are names for their accuracy. However, the Stocks of ADL are made of wood or plastic, while the stock of BDL is made of high-quality wood.
- The fore-end cap unit is unavailable in the ADL, whereas it is the BDL’s first technical advancement in the rifle.
- The trigger of 700 ADL is set for the right amount of pull, and it is fixed. The BDL comes with a Pro-trigger system that makes the user adjust the trigger pull too.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.