English vocabulary had an enormous response in the World. Encountering words with twin spellings consists of different meanings. In English Grammar, usually, we can find such kinds of words.
Resign, and Re-sign are verbs in English Grammar consisting of twin spelling with different meanings.
- Resign means to voluntarily give up a job or position, while re-signing means to sign a document again.
- Resigning is a one-time event, while re-signing can be a recurring event.
- Resignation can impact one’s career while re-signing a document is routine.
Resign vs Re-Sign
When a person quits the job voluntarily, it is called resign. The term ‘resign’ is used officially. When a person signs on a particular document again, it is called re-sign. When a person changes his/her decision about a particular situation, he/she can re-sign the documents. Re-signing can also be done on contract documents.
Resign is a verb that indicates a person voluntarily and officially quitting a job. Resign had a verb in English Grammar. The past tense of the word resign is re-signed.
An individual was in a particular position or gained a place in elections and quit that position voluntarily without any force. Expiring the period of a locus for an individual does not consider the word Resignation.
Re-sign is a verb that indicates the signing of a document again. Re-sign is a verb in the present tense, where the past tense of the Re-sign had been re-signed.
|Parameters of Comparison||Resign||Re-Sign|
|Meaning||Resign is the word used in English Grammar that indicates a person quitting voluntarily from his/her position in an official manner.||Re-sign is the word that indicates the signature of a person in a document again.|
|Tense||Resign is the verb used in the present tense. The past tense of the word Resign had been re-signed.||Re-sign is the transitive verb used in the present tense. The Past tense of the word re-sign had re-signed.|
|Uses ||This word had used for official purposes where an individual wants to quit the designation.||Re-sign is also used officially, which indicates rehiring the present position in a job.|
|Difference||Here the word Resign without a hyphen (-) indicates quitting and the letter ‘S’ in the word is pronounced as ‘Z’.||Re-sign the word having a hyphen (-) between the word and the letter ‘S’ pronounced as ‘S’.|
|Example||Rahul resigned from his manager designation.||Vinay changed his mind and re-signed the papers to stick on for his designation.|
What is Resign?
Resign is a verb in English Grammar, and people use it to indicate quitting the positions voluntarily. Resigned is the past tense of the word Resign. Most people used to relieve from their designations use this word.
When an individual is in a particular position in the office or gained a place in elections and quitting voluntarily without any force, the expiring period of designation of an individual does not consider the word Resignation.
The letter ‘S’ in the word Resign is pronounced as ‘Z’, and the word did not consist of space between the word. Resigning from the current position is a personal choice of a person. Some of the examples are,
- Rahul resigned from his manager designation because of some issues.
- Officer asked the reason for Swathi’s resignation letter.
- Congress party leader resigned from his position.
Resignation for a position is not much easy without any reason. But a person has the right to quit with a relevant cause.
What is Re-Sign?
Re-sign is a transitive verb used in the present past. The word, Re-sign is preferable to use as discharging signature again in a document. An individual who wants to change the decision about the contract issues and re-joining the job used to re-sign in the document papers.
Changing a person’s thoughts relating to some matters leads to using this verb. Re-signed is the past tense used in English Vocabulary.
Resign, and Re-sign are verbs in English Grammar that consist of corresponding spelling with different meanings. In the word re-sign, the letter ‘S’ is pronounced as ’S’, and this word consists hyphen (-) in between the word. Some examples are,
- Pavani changed her decision and re-signed the contract document.
- Vicky re-signed the election document and participated in local elections.
- IPL team re-signed the document papers to give them a chance for the player.
Sometimes the officers in the bank ask the customers to re-sign their signature when servers have to face person detection. Re-sign is the word to start any work again, whereas the word Resign indicates leaving the slog. The word re-signs is mainly used to rehire the individuals again.
Main Differences Between Resign and Re-Sign
- Resign is a verb that indicates when a person is quitting the position voluntarily, whereas Re-sign is a transitive verb that specifies signing a document again to rehire anything.
- The letter ‘S’ in the word Resign is marked as ‘Z’, whereas the letter ‘S’ in Re-sign is pronounced as ‘S’.
- Both the Resign and Re-sign had the exact spelling. But, the word differs by the hyphen added to the term where Re-sign indicates rehiring.
- Resign is a word used for voluntary quitting. In contrast, re-sign is used for staying.
- An Example of Resign is a player of the IPL team who resigned his designation. On the other hand, an example of re-signing is a player in the IPL team who changed his decision and re-signed in the document.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.