Many types of vegetables are cooked to make them more delicious. But with time, it was observed a single vegetable can be made in different ways that have different tastes and appearances. Such as potato that is used along with other vegetables and also as a single ingredient. Examples of such dishes can be scalloped potatoes, and au gratin potatoes, both of the dishes are made with the potatoes. These are very similar-looking dishes that have similarities but that do not make the same, as their name suggests they are different dishes.
Scalloped Potatoes vs Au Gratin Potatoes
The difference between scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes is in the methods that can be used for cooking them; for scalloped potatoes, only baking is used, but for au gratin potatoes, boiling and grilling can also be used along with the baking. They also differ when it comes to main ingredients. While au gratin potatoes always have bread crumbs and cheese, traditional scalloped potatoes never contain either of these ingredients. Lastly, the potatoes are cut of different sizes in both dishes, and different garnishing ingredients are used.
Scalloped potatoes are a dish made with cutting thick slices of potatoes. This dish is rich in nutrients such as proteins, carbohydrates, sodium, minerals, etc. This is baked only and low in fat. It can be vegetarian and well as non-vegetarian depending upon the ingredients. It can also be eaten with salads, and for the garnishing, green leafy vegetables are used.
Au Gratin Potatoes are made with thin slices of potatoes. Potatoes and cheese are the main ingredients of the dish. It can be made with grilling and boiling. It is said to be a modern version of traditional scalloped potatoes as it has cheesy sauce. For garnishing, extra cheese and bread crumbs are used.
Comparison Table Between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin Potatoes
|Parameters of Comparison||Scalloped Potatoes||Au Gratin Potatoes|
|Cutting of potatoes||Thick cutting||Thin cutting|
|Bread crumbs||Do not contain||Have crumps on top|
|Way of cooking||Baking||Grill or boiled|
|Cheese||Does not have||Always contain cheese.|
|Garnish||Parsley or chives||Cheese and bread crumbs.|
What are Scalloped Potatoes?
Scalloped potatoes are the dish of potatoes. Potatoes are peeled off properly before the cutting. After slicing it, they are put in cold water until ready to use. Then all the ingredients, including cream, rosemary, spring, garlic, salt, and pepper, etc., are put in the pan over medium-low heat. Then all the ingredients are being cooked for 7 to 8 minutes. The cream should mix with the herbs properly, and then after all this, it should be drained completely. The cream should be left, and the herbs should be discarded.
Then the sliced potatoes come into the picture. They are patted dry with a clean, dry cloth or paper towel. Potatoes should be layered with butter over this, then the clean prepared earlier should be layered on each slice of the potato evenly. Repeat this step with every slice of the potatoes until the sauce has been used. After doing this, the potatoes should be covered with silver foil on top of it and placed into the preheated oven for an hour. After this, the foil should be removed and again baked for the next 3o minutes.
After cooking it, the dish should be allowed to cool down for around 20 minutes. Then garnishing should be done, but this is optional.
Vegetables and chicken or meat can also be added to the dish if preferred.
What are Au Gratin Potatoes?
Au Gratin Potatoes is also a dish of potatoes as the star ingredient. For this dish, the ingredients required are onions, salt, and pepper, butter, all-purpose flour, milk, cheddar cheese. First of all, potatoes should be sliced perfectly, and onions should be cut into rings, and cheddar cheese should be shredded. After all this preparation, the following steps should be followed:
- The oven should be preheated to 400 degrees.
- A medium casserole dish should be buttered.
- Then half of the sliced potatoes should be placed at the bottom, and after that, onion rings with salt and pepper according to taste should be added. And after that, the top layer of the remaining potatoes should be made. In the end, if required, it should be seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In a saucepan, butter should be melted. In this flour and salt is added and whish for a minute or two. Stir in milk. The mixture should be cooked till it becomes thick. Stir in cheese and continue till it becomes thin. After this, the cheese sauce should be put over the potatoes.
- After this step, the dish should be covered with silver foil. Baked this in preheated oven for 60 to 90 minutes.
After this, the dish should be placed to cool down and garnish.
Main Differences Between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin Potatoes
- Both the dishes include potatoes, but the way potatoes are added to them varies. For scalloped potatoes generally, thick slices of potatoes are cut for adding them in it, whereas for au gratin potatoes, thin slices of potatoes are cut.
- The presence of bread crumbs can also easily make them differentiate. In Scalloped potatoes, these bread crumbs are not added at all, while au gratin potatoes always contain bread crumbs on top of the dish.
- They are cooked in different ways. For scalloped potatoes, the only method used is baking, whereas baking is also used for au gratin potatoes, but it is not the only method. Grilling and boiling can also be used for au gratin potatoes that cannot be used for scalloped potatoes.
- Another ingredient that can differentiate between scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes is the presence of cheese. In scalloped potatoes, cheese is not added at all, while in au gratin potatoes, it is one of the main ingredients that is put between the slices of the potatoes.
- Last but not least, they also differ in terms of garnishing, for scalloped potatoes, parsley or chives or any other green leafy vegetable is used, and for au gratin potatoes, cheese and bread crumbs are used for garnishing.
Therefore, there should not be any confusion between both dishes. Potato is in itself is a very flexible and versatile vegetable that is said to be added to any other vegetable to add nutrition and flavors. It is also said to be the kind of vegetable by some people. It is rich in fibers that help lose weight, good for heart health, balance the sugar level, rich in vitamins and high in antioxidants, etc., therefore, helps improve the overall health of an individual. Except for the dish, potatoes are used for making vodkas and other drinks. Last but not least, it is also used for industrial purposes.