Since vs From
Prepositions are a certain class of words in the English Language that expresses spatial or temporal relations. Preposition also helps to denote the semantic roles of the subject or object in the sentence.
Preposition normally combines with a noun or a pronoun. Prepositions usually come before a complement in a sentence.
However, there is an exception to this role for the prepositions ‘ago’ and ‘notwithstanding’, which comes after the complement. Prepositions are of two types, they are
- Prepositions of time
- Prepositions of place
There are no rules to use a preposition, however, it is good to determine the type of preposition, as it helps in framing grammatically structured sentences.
Prepositions are the class of words that denotes the position, location, direction, and also time which cannot be shown otherwise.
The preposition types can be further categorized into specific units. While doing so, two prepositions play a major role in mentioning the time factor; Since and From.
These two words have their prominence in different contexts. Both words can be used to mention the time factor in a sentence.
- John lives here since 2008.
- John lives here from 2008 till 2019.
On analyzing the above-mentioned sentences, the aspects noticed are
- Both the sentences mention that John lived in that place from the year 2008.
- The second sentence gives the complete information about John’s whereabouts.
- The first sentence does not give complete information.
The main difference between Since and From is, ‘since’, while used in a sentence to denote the time factor, does not give complete information, in fact, it is considered unfinished while ‘from’ gives it in a complete state.
Comparison Table Between Since and From (in Tabular Form)
|Parameter of Comparison||Since||From|
|Technical Difference||‘Since’ offers an unfinished statement. For E.g.|
I have been living here since 1998.
It means, ‘I’ have been living and continue to live.
|‘From’ offers a finished statement.
I have been living from 1998 till 2008.
‘I’ have been living and completed living in the year 1998. The sentence is covered between two points in time.
|Tense forms||‘Since’ cannot be used other than perfect tenses.||‘From’ can be used in any tense form.|
|Different Synonyms||‘Since’ has a dual meaning depending on the context. It additionally means ‘ due to the fact’ or because.|
Since it was raining, the match was abandoned.
|‘From’ has a single meaning and that means.|
|Time of Reference||‘Since’ can refer only past time.||‘From’ can refer to any time.|
|Location||Though ‘since’ has a dual meaning, it cannot be used to denote any location.||‘From’ can be used to denote a location.|
When to Use Since?
‘Since’ is a preposition used in the English language that denotes the time factor. The word ‘Since’ indeed mentions the happening of an event from the past to the present or time in the past.
- She was suffering from this trouble since she was sixteen.
- We have been walking since 6’O’ Clock.
If noticed clearly, ‘Since’ is the word which is used before a point in time in the sentence.
‘Since’ 6’O’ Clock
‘Since’ she was sixteen.
Hence, ‘Since’ is the word that denotes a point in time in the sentence.
I. ‘Since’ is the word used to mention the happening that has changed or happened earlier and that continues till the present.
- The dog has been howling since last night.
- I have been reading this book since last week.
The above two sentences have 2 important inferences.
- The ‘event’ or the ‘happening’ is continuing.
- The sentences are in the present perfect tense.
‘Since’ is the word that features in the present perfect or present perfect continuous tense.
It can also be seen that using ‘Since’ has established the fact that the ‘event’ has started that point in time.
‘Since’ is also used conjunction to denote a reason.
- He did not come to work since he was sick.
- Since his grandfather died, he did not turn up to the party.
When to Use From?
‘From’ is a preposition that is used in the English Language to denote time. It is also used in various contexts to establish relationships between two parts of the sentence.
I. In general, ‘From’ indicates the position of a location in space.
- She went away from the house.
- He walked away from the restaurant.
Both these sentences give the place of reference by using the word ‘From’.
II. ‘From’ is predominantly used to indicate the time factor to give completeness to the sentence.
- The event will run from 6 PM to 11 PM.
- The wedding starts from 4 PM to 6 PM.
III. ‘From’ is used to denote the source of a thing or a person.
- He is from London.
- The consignment came from New Jersey.
IV. ‘From’ is also used to indicate a range
- The age group for this event starts from 16 to 60 years.
- The temperature range from 100 degrees to 300 degrees celsius.
V. ‘From’ is also used to indicate a point.
- You will be able to see the mountain from there.
- Can you see the tower from here?
VI. ‘From’ indicate the source of knowledge
- I read a lot of news from the newspapers.
- I studied well from the books given by the Professor.
‘From’ is a versatile word, which has varied usage in the English Language. It ranges from the point in time to the location.
Main Differences Between Since and From
- The main difference between Since and From is, ‘Since’ gives an unfinished statement of the time, while From gives a finished statement of time.
- The word ‘Since’ can be used only in perfect tense forms while ‘From’ can be used in any tense forms.
- ‘Since’ can also be used in different contexts and has a different meaning’ ‘due to the fact or because, while the word ‘From’ is also used in various aspects but does not have the meaning changed.
- ‘Since’ can refer only the time that has passed while ‘From’ can denote any time. For E.g: He will be available at the office from 11 AM to 4 PM. The sentence is in the future tense, while the word ‘Since’ cannot be used in such contexts.
- ‘Since’ is the word which can denote only point in time and also denote reasons and cannot help pointing out location while ‘From’ can also be used to denote locations.
The usage of words becomes a lot more critical to make the right sense. Especially when it comes to writing, the intensity must match the tone of the sentence. The correct usage of ‘Since’ and ‘From’ makes a whole lot of difference in written as well as spoken form.
‘Since’ being unfinished in the time factor, ‘From’ completes it for the reader. ‘Since’ alone can handle the time factor, while ‘From’ requires a company in the form of ‘to’, till to complete the meaning of the sentence. It is wise for any English language speaker to know the context thoroughly before choosing the words. After all, English is a circumstantial language that has a lot of situational words and phrases.
Word Cloud for Difference Between Since and From
The following is a collection of the most used terms in this article on Since and From. This should help in recalling related terms as used in this article at a later stage for you.