Microsoft SQL server is quite popular worldwide. It provides some very useful tools that help the user to utilize and manage the data effectively. SSRS and SSIS are two of such tools offered by Microsoft. SSRS stands for SQL server reporting services.
SSIS, on the other side, stands for SQL server integration services. Microsoft is a recognized brand that integrates its database SQL server and search engine with some other add-on services.
SSRS vs SSIS
The difference between SSRS and SSIS is that SSRS stands for SQL server reporting services. It is a framework that is designed by considering a reporting mechanism like report designer, report manager, report builder, and report server that work collectively or consolidate through the web interface. On the contrary, SSIS stands for SQL server integration services. It has pre-integrated ETL capability and is considered as a data-warehousing supportive arm of the SQL server. It helps in moving or changing data from one platform to another.
SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is a reporting mechanism-based framework that works collectively or together through the web interface to enable the effective development of interactive reporting solutions in both print and web format. SSRS offers an interface or working space into Microsoft’s visual studio that enables the developers to conveniently use the SSRS tool to format the SQL-based reports.
SSIS is significantly used in moving or changing the data from one platform to another. It is considered as the data-warehouse of SQL server. SSIS is an important component of the business intelligence development studio which is widely used for the maintenance and development of integration service package.
Comparison Table Between SSRS and SSIS
|Parameters of Comparison||SSRS||SSIS|
|Refer to||SSRS stands for SQL Server Reporting Services||SSIS stands for SQL Server Integration Services|
|What is it?||It is a framework that is designed by considering a reporting mechanism and report server that work collectively or consolidate through the web interface.||It is considered as a data-warehousing supportive arm of SQL server. It helps in transmitting data from one platform to another.|
|Application||Report Making||Data holding|
|Components||Report designer and Report builder||SQL server integration services Designer, API Programming, and Wizard of import and export.|
|ETL||SSRS does not have pre-integrated ETL capabilities.||SSIS has the pre-integrated ETL capabilities|
What is SSRS?
SQL Server Reporting Services is a useful tool and report-mechanism-based framework that works significantly through the web interface for developing interactive reporting solutions. SSRS has two major components, Report designer and report builder, that help the user to generate efficient reports. Report Designer is an effective tool for the developer as it helps in adding complexity to the custom report development. Report Builder, on the other side, is a useful tool that enables the user to create reports without understanding the data core structure.
SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) offer an interface in the visual studio of Microsoft that helps and enable the developer and SQL admin to use the relevant SSRS tools to format the SQL reports. The report builder reduces the complexity of formatting the SQL reports.
To use the SSRS tool, the user should have knowledge of data structure and a sound understanding of the business intelligence development studio. For Microsoft, the report server is a majorly important and core process engine that is used effectively for delivering and processing the reports by using processors.
What is SSIS?
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) has pre-integrated ETL capabilities, and it is considered as data-warehousing of SQL servers. SSIS, if required, also helps in changing or moving data from one platform to another. SSIS has three important components that support the process of data integration. This includes SQL server integration services Designer, API Programming, and Wizard of import and export.
SQL Server integration services Designer is an inbuilt and pre-integrated component of the business intelligence development studio that is used for the development of integration service package. The import and export wizard, on the other side, enables the user to transfer or move the data from the decided source to the target. Although it does not include the data transformation capability. The API Programming component of SSIS allows the user to code the SSIS package.
Main Differences Between SSRS and SSIS
- SSRS and SSIS both are important add-on services that are integrated with the SQL server for effective working and enhancing the productivity of the user’s working. SSRS stands for SQL Server Reporting Services. SSIS, on the other side, stands for SQL Server Integration Services.
- SSRS and SSIS enable the user to manage the different aspects of information processing that include analysis, data integration, and proper reporting. SSRS is an effective report-mechanism-based framework that works significantly through the web interface for creating interactive reporting solutions. SSIS, on the other side, has pre-integrated ETL capabilities, and it is considered as data-warehousing of SQL servers. SSIS, if required, also helps in transmitting data from one platform to another.
- Both of these add-on services varied from each other in offering services. SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) are mainly used for reporting purposes. SQL Server Integration Service (SSIS), on the other side, is mainly used for data holding.
- SSRS and SSIS both of these services have some components that help user conveniently perform their work. SSRS has two major components, namely, Report designer and Report builder. On the contrary, SSIS has three major components that allow the user to perform their work and analysis. This includes SQL Server Integration Service designer, API Programming, and wizard of import and export.
- SSRS and SSIS service enhance the capacity of SQL’s server. These are the core service and products of SQL server R2 version 2008. Both of these services vary from each other in offering ETL capability. SSRS does not have ETL capability. While SSIS has pre-integrated ETL capability.
SSRS and SSIS are the services that enhance the capacity of SQL servers and make them a robust information platform for the development of concise and comprehensive business intelligence solutions. These are the core product of SQL servers and can be used by the developers to work effectively and in a smoother way.