The craze for automobiles and sports cars is unparalleled. Many people take it as their personal passion for keeping a collection of a variety of cars and especially sports car. Subaru provides two versions of their all-wheel-drive sports sedan with rally-inspired styling. It’s difficult to compare the Subaru WRX to the Subaru WRX STI.
The cars appear to be similar, but their performance and equipment are vastly different. When Subaru needed a production car for rally competition in the early 1990s, it built the WRX for the Japanese market. Here in this article, we will give you detailed information on both models and a way to kick your prevailing confusion between the two.
- Subaru Impreza WRX is a performance-oriented car with a turbocharged engine and all-wheel drive. At the same time, WRX STI is a more powerful version of WRX with additional features such as better suspension and brakes.
- Subaru Impreza WRX is more affordable and widely available, while WRX STI is more expensive and has limited production.
- Subaru Impreza WRX may suit drivers who prioritize affordability and daily usability. At the same time, WRX STI is ideal for those who want a high-performance car for track or racing purposes.
Subaru Impreza WRX vs WRX STI
The difference between Subaru Impreza WRX and WRX STI is that Subaru Impreza Wrx gives an output of power equivalent to 268 HP. On the other hand, in the scenario, Wrx Sti clubs with 305 HP. Subaru Impreza Wrx cars are generally less expensive than the Wars Sti ones. However, WRX STI cars are faster and have a sporty look compared to Subaru Impreza Wrx cars.
The Subaru Impreza WRX has a power output of 268 hp. In the city, the Subaru Impreza Wrx gets 20 mpg, and on the interstate, it gets 27 mpg. The 2.0L H4 engine in the Subaru Impreza Wrx is standard. Subaru Impreza Wrx has a 6.5-inch touchscreen display. Subaru Impreza Wrx begins at a very nominal price for middle-income people in the United States. Synthetic Ultrasuede is commonly used in Subaru Impreza Wrx seats.
The WRX STI is powered by 305 horsepower. In the city, the Wrx Sti gets 17 miles per gallon, and on the interstate, it gets 23 miles per gallon. The 2.5L H4 engine in the Wrx Sti is standard. In the instance of the Subaru Wrx Sti, the touchscreen display is 7 inches. The starting retail price of the Wars Sti is a bit high than Impreza WRX. The Subaru Wrx Sti is dressed in Ultrasuede, fabric, or even leather.
|Parameters of Comparison||Subaru Impreza WRX||WRX STI|
|Price||Lower than WRX STI.||Higher than WRX.|
|Standard engine||2.0L H4||2.5L H4|
|Fuel economy: city||20 MPG||17 MPG|
|Automatic Transmission||N/A||8 Speed CVT W- Overdrive|
|Fuel economy: Highway||27 MPG||23 MPG|
|Touchscreen display size||6.5 inches||7 inches|
|Outfit||synthetic Ultrasuede material.||Ultrasuede, leather, cloth.|
What is Subaru Impreza WRX?
The Subaru WRX is an automobile with an all-wheel-drive sport compact produced by Subaru, based on the Impreza built for the 1992 World Rally Championship. WRX is the acronym for “World Rally eXperimental.” It is according to Subaru. Since 2014, the WRX lineup has been separated from the Impreza, with WRX models using a distinctive body style. After that, the hatchback/wagon body design was no longer available. The Subaru Impreza Wrx has a power output of 268 horsepower.
In the city, the Subaru Impreza Wrx gets 20 miles per gallon; on the interstate, it gets 27 miles per gallon. The Subaru Impreza Wrx has a 2.0L H4 engine as standard. The touchscreen display in the Subaru Impreza Wrx is 6.5 inches in size. The Subaru Impreza Wrx has a starting retail price that does not suit everybody. Synthetic Ultrasuede is commonly used in Subaru Impreza Wrx interiors.
The Impreza WRX includes the Lineartronic transmission. However, it is known to possess an EyeSight safety package as well. Additionally, it has Pre-collision braking, Sway warning, Adaptive cruise control, and Lane-departure warning as well. High automatic beams and reverse braking are also present in WRX Limited trim.
What is WRX STI?
The 2019 Subaru WRX STI is based on the same chassis as the standard WRX. However, they have a few mechanical differences. So, though the STI and the WRX have the same seating capacity and bodywork, the STI has significantly better performance.
The STI’s engine is a 2.5-litre turbocharged. It is a direct-injected four-cylinder with 310 horsepower. It also has 290 pound-feet of torque. The Wrx Sti’s engine produces 305 horsepower. In the city, the Wrx Sti achieves 17 mpg, and on the interstate, it achieves 23 mpg. A 2.5L H4 engine powers the Wrx Sti.
In the Subaru Wrx Sti instance, the touchscreen display measures 7 inches. Wrs Sti starts at a price higher than the basic retail level. Ultrasuede, fabric, or even leather are commonly used for the Subaru Wrx Sti’s interior. The STI version possesses a higher version of everything. It goes much faster, has hard brakes, and is designed with flat corners. It also possesses quick steering. Although, a fast, sporty car may not be a great choice if someone is choosing for the long run.
Main Differences Between Subaru Impreza WRX and WRX STI
- Subaru Impreza Wrx uses 268 Horsepower. On the other hand, Wrx Sti uses 305 Horsepower for functioning.
- Subaru Impreza Wrx covers 20 miles per gallon inside the city and 27 miles per gallon on the highway. On the other hand, Wrx Sti covers 17 miles per gallon inside the city and 23 miles per gallon on the highway.
- Subaru Impreza Wrx uses a standard engine of 2.0L H4. On the other hand, Wrx Sti uses a standard engine of 2.5L H4.
- The size of the touchscreen display in the case of the Subaru Impreza Wrx is 6.5 inches. However, the same is 7 inches in the case of the Subaru Wrx Sti.
- The initial retail price of the Subaru Impreza Wrx starts at a price lower than STI. On the other hand, the beginning retail price of Wars Sti starts higher than Impreza WRX.
- Subaru Impreza Wrx generally makes use of synthetic Ultrasuede material. On the other hand, Subaru Wrx Sti generally uses Ultrasuede, cloth or even leather.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.