Some English words sound similar or have a similar meaning. English is a very tricky language sometimes. It’s correct to use two words interchangeably, while sometimes it changes the meaning of the whole sentence. Vision and Goal are an example of such words; both of them are used interchangeably so frequently the people think they are synonyms. But that’s not true at all, both of they have different meaning and used for different types of sentences.
Vision vs Goal
The difference between Vision and Goal is that Goal can be set and can be made understand by other people. Even setting up of Goal is a process that can be seen, whereas vision cannot be seen or touched. It is merely an imagination. Also, both of them are different in terms of their limit, action, duration, and indication.
Vision is something that you see in your mind. It can be a planned future, a dream, or just imagination. It does not have any limit and can take years to be fulfilled, hence considered a long-term process. To indicate vision, words like wisdom and imagination are used. It can be used in more than one sense.
Goals can be defined as short term target that has to be achieved to achieve the main aim or main dream. Most goals are short-termed and have limits; to achieve these goals, some actions are required. They cannot be achieved by just imagining it in the head.
Comparison Table Between Vision and Goal
|Parameters of Comparison||Vision||Goal|
|Meaning||Image or thought of something you want to achieve.||The idea of the future or set results of a vision.|
|Limit||It is limitless.||It has limits.|
|Action||It does not require actions||Do require actions|
|Duration||Long term||Short term|
|Indication||Wisdom or imagination||Aim or target|
What is Vision?
Vision is an image you have on your mind of something you want to achieve in your life. It is the way you see yourself in the future or how you want to be in the future. It is not something that can be seen by everyone. You cannot make everyone see your vision. You can tell them.
It is important to see or think of the imaginary plan for a successful and big future because until you imagine the dream, there will be no achievement in the future. Every person has a different vision, and no one can tell each other’s vision. Some people are said to be having the vision to see the future. They can tell in the present what can happen in the future. There is no hard-core evidence of whether these visions are true or not.
Also, a vision has a different meaning and is understood differently. For example, sometimes it is used as a dream, sometimes it is used as imagination, etc. therefore, the meaning of it depends upon the sentences and in what sense the word has been used.
And unless some efforts are put to achieve the vision, it will remain just an imagination.
What is Goal?
Goals are small achievements or little boundaries you set for fulfilling the ultimate aim or target. There are several benefits of setting up goals such as:
- Clear plans: when you set goals, the plans you make for achieving them become clearer. It is always recommended to make clear plans so that no difficulties in the future can arise.
- Increased awareness: setting goals increases the awareness of a person’s strong points and weak points. It highlights the strength and gives an opportunity to understand the weakness for creating measures to improve them.
- Provides Direction: setting up goals provides a basic direction for achieving the main target. It helps you to move on in a path of success.
- Decision making: when you set your Goal, it is very helpful in making the decision related to it. As you know what your Goal is and therefore you can make the decision required for achieving that.
- Provides motivation: setting goals to provide a sense of motivation, as setting goals determine the ability to plan a future and think ahead. After this, when you achieve the Goal, it further motivates you to make more goals for reaching the end target.
While setting goals, it should be kept in mind that the Goal should be short-term and not a lengthy one. And the main focus of the Goal should be on the ultimate target and aim only.
Main Differences Between Vision and Goal
- Vision is not realistic. It is more like a dream that a person wants to achieve, whereas the Goal is realistic. It is the effort or stages that a person sets called goals to achieve that dream.
- In terms of time, vision is of the long period while the Goal is short term. Vision can be of far future that’ll maybe take a lifetime for achieving whereas goals are short term they are short period achievements that have to do for the main and final dream.
- Vision is limitless, as there is no limit of what a person can have as a vision, whereas in the case of Goal, it always has a limit as to when to achieve it.
- Having a vision does not require action; it is sometimes merely just an imagination, while a goal does require action. If some action is not done, you cannot achieve the Goal.
- Both of them are also different in case of indication. Vision is like a dream or some imagination, while a Goal is an aim or target that has to be achieved.
- Visions may or may not be achievable sometimes, it takes a lifetime, and still, there is no guarantee while goals are achievable as they are not difficult and are short-term.
Now you can use both of these words correctly as per the need. Both vision and Goal are required for the personality development of an individual. If any of these is lacking in a person, they might not be successful or achieve their goals. They are related too, as without vision, there is no goal, and without a goal, there is no vision.
English is one of the official languages of many countries, and it is among the most spoken language in the world. Therefore, it is important to understand the meaning of these short but crucial words that can even change the whole meaning of the sentence.
Table of Contents