Vacations are one of the most beautiful parts of life. With a busy and hectic schedule repeating itself over and over, once in a while, everybody needs a quick getaway to relax and rejuvenate for some time. Vacations are like a cleanse for the body, mind, and soul.
Table of Contents
They are refreshing and also the perfect opportunity for making memories. But what makes a vacation amazing and takes it up a notch is the lodgings. Everything could be perfect in a vacation but if the lodgings are not up to the mark, then it can be ruined.
This is where the vacation home renters and lodgers come to play. They provide the best lodgings for vacationers and thus enhance their experience all the same. Both VRBO and HomeAway are great vacation rentals and one of the top ones in their industry.
VRBO vs HomeAway
The difference between VRBO and HomeAway is that VRBO is used more by homeowners in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, while HomeAway is used more by homeowners from Europe, India, and Australia.
|Parameters of Comparison||VRBO||HomeAway|
|Founder||VRBO was founded by a married couple, David Clouse and Lynn Clouse in 1996.||HomeAway was founded by Brian Sharples and Carl Shepherd in 2004.|
|Name||VRBO stands for Vacation Rental By Owner. It has had the same name since its foundation.||HomeAway was originally named CEH Holdings but later changed its name to Homeaway in 2006 after acquiring several websites.|
|Service Fee||VRBO normally charges about 6 to 12% of the total cost from its guests.||HomeAway charges a total of 4 to 10% of the total cost from its guess.|
|Domain||VRBO mostly operates in the USA, Mexico, and Canada.||HomeAway operates mostly in Europe, Australia, and India.|
|Owner||VRBO is owned by HomeAway.||HomeAway is owned by Expedia.|
What is VRBO?
VRBO stands for Vacation Rental By Owner. It was founded by a married couple, David Clouse and Lynn Clouse, in the year 1996.
VRBO is an American vacation rental online website that connects homeowners and travellers. The homeowners can rent their private holiday homes for travellers and tourists who are there to vacation and are looking for a place to stay.
VRBO connects both these parties, acting as a middle ground medium for them to find each other and strike a deal that suits both.It has a range of rates starting from one night to weekly and even monthly rates.
VRBO is best known for its long term vacation rentals available. Any tenants looking for a long term vacation rental to stay will find great deals and accommodations on VRBO. It charges its guest 6 to 12% of the total cost as a service fee.
VRBO is most popular and functioning in the USA, Mexico, and Canada. It will show listings from other places too. but the best deals and offers are from these aforementioned places. VRBO was acquired by HomeAway in the year 2005 and is now a branch of it.
What is HomeAway?
HomeAway is yet another online vacation home rental marketplace. It has headquarters in Austin, Texas. It was founded by Brian Sharples and Carl Shepherd in 2004. They intended to create a worldwide vacation rental site at one place.
It has over 2 million listings in more than 190 countries. This is possible also because it wons about 16 such vacation rental websites. HomeAway acquired VRBO in 2005 and now owns it.
HomeAway was originally named CEH Holdings. After acquiring several websites including VRBO it rechristened itself HomeAway. HomeAway was acquired by the website Expedia in 2015. So now ultimately Expedia owns both of the vacation rental websites, VRBO and HomeAway.
HomeAway is the most functioning and popular in Europe, India, and Australia. HomeAway charges its guests about 4 to 10% of the total costs as a service fee.
HomeAway makes sure to add different kinds of vacation lodgings available for rentals along with all kinds of relevant and important details that a traveller might need to know.
Main Differences Between VRBO and HomeAway
- VRBO stands for Vacation Rental By Owner. HomeAway was originally named CEH Holdings. It was later rechristened to HomeAway.
- VRBO operates mainly in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, while HomeAway operates mainly in Europe, India, and Australia. These are the main spots of operation of these sites. They are available in other places as well, but most prominent and operational in these places.
- VRBO was founded by David Clouse and Lynn Clouse in 1996, while Homeaway was founded by Brian Sharples and Carl Shepherd as CEH Holdings in 2004.
- VRBO charges a service fee of 6 to 12% of the total cost from its guests while Homeaway charges 4 to 10% of the total cost from its guests. Both websites are very popular in their field and very good at what they do. They are long term vacation rental marketplaces loved by travellers and tourists.
- VRBO was initially an independent marketplace for almost a decade after its launch. HomeAway acquired VRBO in 2005. Expedia acquired both the websites in 2015. HomeAway has about 16 websites under it. VRBO has not acquired any websites.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️