The online meeting apps are a must for working from remote locations. These apps help people from different countries to communicate and collaborate any time of the day. The two famous apps are Zoom and Skype.
Zoom vs Skype
The main difference between Zoom and Skype is the number of participants it allows at a time. The Zoom basic plan (free) allows a video conferencing of 100 participants at a time, while Skype’s basic program allows only 50 participants. Zoom and Skype have been the leading platforms that will enable attractive conferencing services and tools.
Comparison Table Between Zoom and Skype
|Parameter of Comparison||Zoom||Skype|
|Basic free plan participant limit||Zoom allows 100 participants (up to 49 visible at one time) per free subscription for a session of 40 minutes||Skype allows 50 participants per session, it offers 250 participants for a business plan membership|
|Platform Support||Zoom supports a variety of platforms and devices such as Windows, Mac OS, IOS, iPhone/ iPad, Android, Linux, Web-based||Skype supports platforms and devices such as Windows, Mac OS, IOS, iPhone/ iPad,, Android, Web-based|
|Web Features||Real-time and private chats, Recording & playback, screen sharing, and presentation tools, 1GB cloud storage||Real-time and private chats, file sharing, video messages, 50GB mailbox, 1TB cloud storage|
|Support||Online support||On-demand support|
|Supported Integration||Google Drive, Pardot, Dropbox, Eloqua, HubSpot, Infusionsoft||Agile CRM, Slack, Microsoft Systems, Grasshopper|
|Popular customers||Delta, Match.com, Sonos, Pandora, Slack, GoDaddy||VerbalizeIt, Advansys, AIRDEX, Diverse Learners|
|Recordings||Zoom provides 1 GB cloud space for recordings||Skype stores Recordings up to 30 days|
|Special features||Custom virtual background, end to end encryption.||Blur my background, React emojis|
What is Zoom?
Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing tool that provides various features depending upon the type of plan.
With Zoom, one can host meetings, arrange split-viewer sessions for clients or employees, all this with full control of the host’s panel.
Zoom also comes with innovative options that allow the viewers to interact with the host or fellow participants via the RAISE HAND feature or drop a message in the chatbox for the host to answer later, allowing less distraction during meetings.
The video conferences/meetings can be recorded, shared, and played back later for future references and more. A potent and useful tool for small/mid-scale business, it also allows more features like prolonged meeting time and participant space with paid plans.
Employers looking for 1-1 direct meetings with their employees will be satisfied as they can have unlimited sessions with Zoom.
What is Skype?
Skype is an innovative tool for video conferencing, file sharing, IM, online presentations, voice calls, and more.
Skype offers advanced features varying from a free plan to paid plans depending upon the user’s needs. We use these plans to add participant limits, share host privileges, control meetings, and more.
Skype has been on the air for a long time, giving it an air of trustworthiness and popularity.
Main Differences Between Zoom and Skype
- Skype is considered to be more secure as compared to Zoom as there have been reports of so-called zoom bombing where a breach of a meeting occurred via invite link.
- Skype is considered to be more user friendly as it has been in the market for a long time, and the developers are trying every day to make it more comfortable for users to use Skype.
- Zoom offers interactive paid packages at low prices, whereas to use premium services from Skype, the amount varies from the requirement to requirement.
- Zoom offers innovative presentation tools ranging from screen share, presentation tools, and techniques and tutorials.
- Zoom provides Online support, whereas Skype uses on-demand support.
- Skype provides more cloud storage space and mailbox space as compared to zoom, which gives Skype a hassle-free and comprehensive file sharing service.
- Skype’s free plan is widely prevalent among freelancers.
- With zoom, all you need is to join in with an email id, and guests need not create an account. With Skype, an account is a must to use.
- Skype is better for teams looking for holistic business solutions, and Zoom is better for frequent video conferencing and meetings.
- Skype provides better video and audio quality as compared to zoom, but Skype has some hiccups. The sessions are reported to freeze up sometimes. With zoom, you will have to increase the video quality rate manually. It doesn’t do it by itself, whereas Skype adjusts the video quality on its own.
- Zoom has the option of break out rooms and allows you to see more than four people at the same time.
- Zoom is an attractive feature added to the outlook that allows you to add schedules of your meeting in your calenders.
- Unlimited 1-1 meeting can be hosted on Zoom.
- Skype has launched Skype meet for users to eliminate the need to download an app, and users can now attend a Skype meeting by just clicking on a link and logging in as a guest.
While zoom is fast emerging among small and mid-scale businesses, Skype has a wide range of applications in the market.
Zoom is currently working on fixing the unauthorized zoom bombing, which makes Skype a better choice in terms of privacy.
Both the platforms provide almost equal features starting from invite links, which can be sent to anyone who wishes to join, where you need to have SKYPE software installed to use Skype.
Interactive sessions, Q&A, Brainstorming sessions, screen sharing, presentations, increasing the number of hosts to individual control of all cameras and microphones, these platforms provide a number of features to ease up the conference of meeting and also video recording sessions which can be reviewed later on or can be shared to others who wish to have a brief knowledge of the meetings.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Table of Contents