PlayStation Portable console allows the user to have a comprehensive on-the-go gaming experience. However, an Xbox can only be used in the comfort of one’s home as it needs to be connected to a visual device. This seminal difference comes to be fleshed out between the two in terms of the specific design elements of each device. As a portable gaming console, the PSP is much lighter and sleeker than the Xbox.
Xbox vs PSP
The difference between Xbox and PSP is that while Xbox is a home gaming console, PSP is a portable gaming console. Microsoft released Xbox as a home console that would have to be connected to a stationary device to provide an unparalleled gaming experience to the user. Contrarily, Sony ideated the PSP as a handheld console. It was created and marketed as the most powerful portable gaming console in the market.
Comparison Table Between Xbox and PSP
|Parameters of Comparison||Xbox||PSP|
|Portability||The Xbox is not a portable gaming console.||PlayStation Portable or PSP is a portable gaming console.|
|Manufacturing Brand||Xbox is manufactured by Microsoft.||PSP is manufactured by Sony.|
|Processor Speed||An Xbox has a faster processor than a PSP.||A PSP has a slower processor than an Xbox.|
|Weight||An Xbox is thicker and heavier than a PSP.||A PSP is much sleeker and lighter than an Xbox as its light weight is an important component in making the device portable.|
|Kind of Console||Xbox was created as a home gaming console.||PSP was created as a handheld gaming console.|
|Price||An Xbox is more expensive than a PSP.||A PSP is more cost-effective than an Xbox.|
|Hard Drive||4GB hard drive.||No hard drive.|
|Year of Release||Microsoft released the first Xbox gaming console in 2001.||Sony released the first PSP gaming console in 2004.|
What is an Xbox?
Xbox is a home gaming console released by Microsoft in 2001. It was the first of the many variants launched under the Xbox label over the years. One of the most notable distinctions of this gaming console was its in-built hard drive. Xbox was the first video gaming console to include a hard drive. This annihilated the need for memory cards.
Xbox also featured broadband connectivity ports to connect it to the internet. With an extremely powerful processor and 64MB memory storage space, this gaming console was a significant threat to the other consoles available in the market.
However, the lack of design sophistication and the heavy built of the console was its conspicuous drawbacks. Subsequently, over the years, Microsoft has launched several improved versions of the original Xbox including the Xbox 360, Xbox One as well as the Xbox S and X Seri.
What is a PSP?
PSP or PlayStation Portable is a handheld gaming console launched by Sony in 2004. It was created as the most powerful and distinguished portable gaming console in the market. The PSP was the first gaming console to use an optical disc as a primary storage medium.
The sleek and compact design of the console was a major attraction for most video game enthusiasts. The PSP featured some of the most advanced graphics in the video gaming arena. This set it a class apart from its market competitors. The PSP could also be used as a portable media player as it was equipped with certain video playback features.
Moreover, the device was created with a vision to make it easily compatible with any computer USB interface. The PSP design was aimed at simplifying the process of connecting it to the internet. Over the last decade, Sony has released several new and improved successors to the classic PSP including the PlayStation Vita.
Main Differences Between Xbox and PSP
- The main difference between PSP and Xbox is that a PSP is portable while an Xbox is mostly immobile. An Xbox is not a portable gaming console, it needs to be connected to a visual screen for it to operate. However, a PSP is a fan favorite because of its portability feature.
- The brand producing each video game console is different. PSP or PlayStation Portable was created by Sony, while XBOX is a video gaming console owned and operated by Microsoft.
- Xbox has a better CPU speed than PSP. Xbox processors can complete more cycles per minute as compared to the PSP processor.
- PSP is a handheld console, while Xbox is a home console.
- The first PSP was launched in 2004, while Xbox was unveiled by Microsoft in 2001.
- Xbox has a more powerful RAM of 251 MB, while PSP has a decent RAM of 64 MB.
- The two gaming consoles also differ in terms of the thickness of their built which in turn affects the compactness of the console. Microsoft Xbox is a thicker console measuring a total of 265mm X 324mm. While PSP is a thinner and sleeker model measuring merely a total of 19mm X 169mm.
- Weight is an important entity while selecting an appropriate gaming console. A PSP is much lighter than an Xbox.
- Xbox has a 4GB hard disk that is absent from a PSP.
- The price of a PSP is lower than that of an Xbox.
Gaming consoles have intensely diversified over the years. They have imbibed all the perpetual developments unfolding in the field of technology. The two most converted gaming consoles of the early 2000s were the Microsoft Xbox and Sony PSP.
The launch of the PSP or PlayStation Portable changed the gaming arena forever. It was one of the first portable gaming consoles to be launched. This feature clearly distinguished the PSP from the Xbox, which was created as a home gaming console. Xbox was not built to be mobile.
This seminal difference gives rise to a host of other dissimilarities between the two in terms of their design, connectivity, processor strengths as well as hardware compositions. The choice between these two gaming consoles can be a difficult one, but it will be guided by an individual’s personal preferences.
However, today there are many other advanced console variants available in the market that can offer stringent competition to both these models. Thus, the radius of choices available to the modern consumer is quite extensive and variegated and one must evaluate all choices before making a definitive decision.
Table of Contents