Almost everyone’s lives will not be able to function properly without any kind of technology. Technology has become quite crucial in this world. Its presence can be found in every part of our lives.
The mobile phones everyone use, the television we watch every day, the computers, laptops and tablets we use, washing machines, fridges, water purifiers, sprinklers and many more such appliances are some of the many daily occasions in which technology is used.
Although the lifelong debate of whether technology is a boon or bane has not yet been answered, we must agree to the fact technology is definitely making our lives a lot easier with its existence and advancements.
Two words that always come up with the word ‘technology’ are “ICT” and “IT”. These two words are often mixed up with each other.
Although there are similarities, there are also a few differences between the words ICT and IT.
ICT vs IT
The difference between ICT and IT is the field with which it is associated. ICT is often associated with the field of education. But IT is popularly associated with the field related to computers, software, etc.
Comparison Table Between ICT and IT
|Parámetro de comparación||ICT||ESO|
|Acronym||ICT is the acronym for Information and Communications Technology.||IT is the acronym for Information Technology.|
|Field||Information and Communications Technology is associated with the field of education.||Information Technology is associated with the field of computers, software, networks, etc.|
|Función||The function of Information and Communications Technology is to help make the process of communication and attaining and imparting information better with the help of technology.||The function of Information Technology is to help attain an efficient way or method for the management of information, with the help of technology.|
|Place of use||Information and Communications Technology is used in academic institutions and purposes.||Information Technology is used in corporate and other huge, complex companies and institutions.|
|Industry or extension||ICT can be considered as an extensional term or simply as an extension of IT, mainly used in an academic setup.||IT can be considered as an industry by itself, used for efficient management of information, mainly used in software, networking, etc.|
What is ICT?
Technology plays quite an important role in our lives, irrespective of the profession one follows and any other situations.
ICT and IT are two terms that are closely connected to the term ‘technology’. ICT is the acronym for the word “Information and Communications Technology”.
As the name suggests, Information and Communications Technology is a term related to the use of technology for a better and more efficient communication.
It focuses on a technology that helps in making the process of sending, receiving and retaining information much easier and effective.
There are mainly two points on which the two terms ‘ICT’ and ‘IT’ differ. They are:-
- Industry or extension
ICT or Information and Communications Technology is associated with the field of education. This technology is mainly used in an academic setup.
As mentioned earlier, the main function of this technology is to promote an integrated communication, with the help of technology, in the field of education.
ICT emphasises on the use of technology for effective communication and for a better method for imparting and retaining information for those who are studying, that is, in an academic setup.
Another main difference is that ICT is an extensional term of IT. ICT is an extension of IT which is mainly used in the field of academics.
It is used in academic institutions such as schools, colleges and other educational institutions. Here are a few examples: –
- Audio-Visual or A/V rooms that are used to help students understand concepts easily.
- Learning Management Systems or LMAs that give a learner’s autonomy to students.
- Assessment apps that help assess the progress of students.
What is IT?
IT is the acronym for the word “Information Technology”. As the name suggests, Information Technology or IT is the use of technology for sending, receiving and storing information.
Information has to be sent, received and processed properly in order to ensure effective communication. It is also important for data to be stored so that it can be retrieved for any future references.
This is the main function of Information Technology (IT). This technology helps to attain an efficient way or method for the management of information or data.
The main difference that differentiates IT from ICT is the field associated with it. IT is associated with the field of computers, software, networks and data processing.
IT or Information Technology is used in the corporate setup. This type of technology is used in huge, multinational companies, networking companies and other computer organizations.
The second aspect on which IT is different from ICT is the fact that IT is an industry. IT can be considered as an industry by itself which specializes on information management.
It acts as a method for storing and retrieving information and data properly. Here are a few examples: –
- Intercoms that are used to communicate easily in companies, households, etc.
- CCTVs that are used to ensure security.
- Routers and servers that are used to ensure connectivity.
Main Differences Between ICT and IT
- The main difference between ICT and IT is the field associated with it. ICT is a technology associated with the field of education. But IT is a technology associated with the field of computers, software, networks, etc.
- ICT is the acronym for the word “Information and Communications Technology”. IT is the acronym for the word “Information Technology”.
- The function of ICT is to ensure an integrated communication, with the help of technology, in the field of education. But the function of IT is to ensure a better way to manage information and data using technology.
- Information and Communications Technology or ICT is used in an academic setup such as schools, colleges, study centres and other institutions. But Information Technology or IT is used in a corporate setup such as multinational companies, households and other organizations.
- ICT is an extension of IT, mainly intended for the educational field. But IT is an industry by itself, intended towards information management.
Be it ICT or IT, technology is something without which none can live nowadays. And both ICT and IT have proven to be quite useful in all of our lives.
Both are related to ensuring an effective communication and processing of information.
However, they differ on the fields they are associated with. While ICT is associated with the educational field, IT is associated with the field of computers, software, networking, etc.
Tabla de contenido