The introduction of ePub seeks to provide a universal standard for eBooks. Because there are several varieties of eBooks, this article will focus on distinguishing between an ePub and an eBook.
- eBooks encompass various digital book formats, including ePub, PDF, and MOBI, while ePub is a specific eBook format designed for reflowable content and optimal readability on various devices.
- ePub files are compatible with most e-readers and apps, except for Amazon Kindle devices, while other eBook formats may have limited compatibility.
- The ePub format supports multimedia and interactive content, making it suitable for various publications, such as textbooks, magazines, and novels.
eBook vs ePub
An eBook refers to an electronic version of a book that can be downloaded and read on electronic devices such as tablets, smartphones, or dedicated e-readers. EPub is a digital file format used for creating and distributing eBooks and is designed to be flexible and easily adaptable.
It is a digital download publishing that consists of text, graphics, or even both and is viewable on the flat-panel screens of computers, tablets, and phones as well as on some televisions.
E-books may be viewed not just on specialist e-reader gadgets but also on any computing device with a controlled viewscreen.
(Amazon is the only online store amongst the others that doesn’t utilize the .epub standard; instead, it uses special formats like as .mobi,.azw, as well as .kpf.) eBooks have been the only ones that use them .epub and .mobi file types.
|Parameters of Comparison||eBook||ePub|
|Full Form||eBook is the abbreviated form of the term ’Electronic Book’.||ePub means ‘Electronic Publication Format’.|
|Meaning||An eBook is the digital form of a normal or printed book that promises more durability and secured distributions when compared to the traditional paperback books. It can be read using a flat-screen in computers or smartphones.||The ePub filename extension code is a common way of storing eBooks as well as other forms of information.|
|Type||There are various types of eBookson the basis of encoding formats as well as definitive features like Visual Novels, comics and encyclopaedias.||There are no types of ePub as it itself is a consolidated file extension used for storing and reading ebooks.|
|Utility||For comfortable and seamless reading and convenient transfer and sharing of the book.||Widely used and easy encoding makes ePub format very accessible and easy to use.|
|Copyrights||eBooks are proprietary and need permissions before usage or sharing as it still has the rights and copyrights compared to a traditional paper-back.||ePubs are vendor independent in nature and therefore the extension is free to use for everyone and no copyright is issued.|
What is an eBook?
In the 2000s, there had been a tendency for print plus e-book sales to shift to the Web, with users purchasing conventional paper books along with increased sales of e-books on web pages using e-commerce platforms.
When it comes to print books, clients are gradually looking through pictures of book covers from online publishers or retail websites that specifically sell handpicked Books, selecting and buying titles electronically.
By the mid-2010s, e-books have begun to outnumber hardback in terms of overall publishing statistics in the United States and gradually, the trend covered the entire globe.
The following are some of the benefits of using an eBook:
- Greater pocketability: It might be difficult to store books. Multiple ebooks may be kept on a single machine, making it great for travelling as well.
- Publish-on-demand and unlimited prints: Novels and books no longer have to go out of circulation. If necessary, you can print ebooks on request.
- Improved Interactivity: You may take some notes, underline and circle text, and save pages without becoming disorganized or forgetting your bookmark.
- Ecologically sustainable: Each year, a large number of trees are taken down to manufacture paper. The use of paperless ebooks has the opportunity to save forests.
What is an ePub?
The epub filename extension code is a common way of storing eBooks as well as other forms of information.
EPUB files can contain text, graphics, CSS files, typefaces, metadata, and content tables. These are layout agnostic, which means that screen resolution has no effect on the page layout files that may show material on devices as tiny as 3.5′′.
Kindle is a remarkable exception in this regard. An EPUB file can indeed be directly determined on a Kindle, however, there are methods for converting one to what the Kindle can utilize.
Main Differences Between eBook and ePub
- eBooks are readable in Amazon Kindle, whereas the Kindle does not support ePub files.
- eBooks are vendor-specific, whereas ePubs are vendor-independent in nature.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.