The two medicines that are Zoloft and Celexa, are used for the treatment of depression.
According to research, depression has been one of the most serious issues that are deep-rooted within teens and is causing serious problems like suicides. The treatment for depression is very important.
- Zoloft and Celexa are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) for treating depression, anxiety, and other mental health disorders.
- Zoloft is more effective in treating various conditions, such as panic disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder. At the same time, Celexa is primarily used for depression and generalized anxiety disorder.
- Celexa has fewer reported side effects, but Zoloft is less likely to cause withdrawal symptoms when discontinued.
Zoloft vs Celexa
Zoloft, is a drug used to treat major depressive disorder, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, etc. Celexa, is a drug that is used to treat major depressive disorder, panic disorder, and other mood and anxiety disorders. It works by increasing the levels of serotonin, in the brain.
Zoloft is an anti-depressant used for the treatment of major depression and other diseases like obsessive compulsion disorder, social anxiety, Posttraumatic Syndrome Disorder, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, and others.
It is categorized under SNRIs, a class of medicines whose full form is serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. It can cause various harmful effects, which vary from minor to major.
Celexa is yet another anti-depressant used for the treatment of major depressive disorder and is only used on the advice of a doctor.
The dosage of the medicine depends upon the prescription, but a dose should not be missed. Many other drugs and chemicals react with Celexa, so be sure you are not taking one.
|Parameters of Comparison||Zoloft||Celexa|
|Diseases treated||Major Depressive DisorderObsessive-Compulsive Disorder Posttraumatic Syndrome DisorderPremenstrual Dysphoric Disorder||The medicine is only used for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder|
|Dosage||The solution should not be mixed until you are ready to take the as well as it should be only taken with lemonade, lime/lemon soda, ginger ale, or water.||The dosage missed should be taken as soon as remembered, but only if your next dosage has some time and the dose can be changed various times by the doctor.|
|Another Name||The medicine is also available in generic form and is called Sertraline.||This is also available in the generic form, which is cheaper and is called Citalopram.|
|Amount to be taken||The medicine can be taken up to 50gm, but that depends on the prescribed and suitable dosage.||The medicine can be taken up to 20gm, and after that, it may cause another series of side effects.|
|Who can use||The medicine is suitable for the use of children above the age of 6 years for the treatment of OCD.||The medicine is not suitable for children and can only be used by adults or adolescents.|
What is Zoloft?
Zoloft is a medicine used for the treatment of depression and many other diseases.
It is used for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Posttraumatic Syndrome Disorder, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, etc.
It is categorized under SNRIs, a class of medicines whose full form is serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.
It is available in both forms that are generic and branded. In the generic form, it is known as Sertraline. The dosage of the medicine depends on what the doctor has prescribed.
The medicine is suitable for treating children who have OCD and are above the age of 6 years. It is also advised to make the solution of Zoloft in water, orange juice, ginger, and lime soda.
Many side effects can be there due to the overdose of the medicine, and it ranges from common to deathly.
The common side effects of the medicine can be sleepiness, drowsiness, headache, dizziness, rashes, etc.
The serious side effects of the medicine that should be treated as early as possible include high fever, confusion, memory problems, fainting, seizure, etc.
The medicine also interacts with some of the other chemicals which are taken for the treatment of various other diseases. Some drugs that have adverse effects with Zoloft are as follows:-
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI):- Avoid taking this medicine before or after two weeks of the Zoloft dose if not advised by your healthcare worker.
- Sertraline (such as sertraline HCl or sertraline hydrochloride) is present in the medicine which is taken.
- Are allergic to the contents of Zoloft or have any reaction.
What is Celexa?
Celexa is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor from a class of medicines known as SNRI, which is used for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.
The depression should be treated or not should be asked to the concerned doctor, and the after-effects of treating and not treating should also be clarified.
A generic form is available for affordable medicine, and in the generic nomenclature, it is known as Citalopram.
The medicine is only suited for adults and adolescents and cannot be taken by children due to the adverse effects it shows. It is available in two forms that are pills and solutions.
The medicine is known for the side effects it leaves on the body, which are long-termed as well as short-termed.
The side effects of the medicine include dizziness, nausea, increased sweating or urination, upset stomach, symptoms of a cold-like stuffed nose, and other hormonal changes.
The dose should not be missed and can be taken immediately when remembered but avoid taking two doses within a short period.
The medicine reacts with various drugs and causes harmful effects on the body. It may also interact with the allergies you have and cause severe issues. The medicine should not be taken in the following cases:-
- If you are allergic to any products in the medicine, like citalopram hydrobromide or escitalopram oxalate.
- If the dose of MAOI starts two weeks or ended two weeks ago and is not advised by a physician, then immediately contact a doctor if you have increased heart rates, confusion, loss of consciousness, high fever, etc.
Main Differences Between Zoloft and Celexa
- Zoloft is used for the treatment of various diseases like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Posttraumatic Syndrome Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, social anxiety, etc., whereas Celexa is used only for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.
- Zoloft is taken as a solution and should only be taken with orange juice, ginger ale, lime soda, water, etc., and should be taken immediately, whereas if you have missed a dose of Celexa, it should be taken soon but not with another dose.
- Zoloft can be taken up to 50gm, but the actual amount should be asked of the healthcare provider, whereas Celexa can be taken up to 20gm, but that depends on the doctor that has prescribed it.
- Zoloft can be taken by anyone, like adults, adolescents, or children above the age of 6, for the treatment of OCD, whereas Celexa cannot or is not advised to be taken by children.
- Both medicines are also available in an affordable generic form and are called Sertraline and Citalopram, respectively.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.