Geometric patterns often create a beautiful symbol and people with religious belief also finds various meaning in these symbols. Pentagram and pentacle are two different geometric symbols in which various religious groups found deep mystical meanings.
Table of Contents
They believe that these symbols represent spiritual power and use them in various religious events.
Pentagram and pentacle both of these symbols are very old. In a glimpse, both of these symbols look the same.
But in reality, these symbols are completely different. They also represent two different sets of religious beliefs.
Pentagram vs Pentacle
The difference between Pentagram and Pentacle is that a pentagram is one of the simplest geometric forms of star polygon consists of fifteen line segments which is associated with spiritual processes and various religious symbols, while a pentacle is a star-shaped pentagram surrounded by a circle which is associated with magic and witchcraft.
|Parameter of Comparison||Pentagram||Pentacle|
|What is it?||One of the simplest geometric forms of star polygon consists of fifteen line segments.||A star-shaped pentagram surrounded by a circle where the circle touch or should have even distance from all points of the pentagram.|
|Derive from||Sumerian scripts||French words|
|Translates to||A geometric figure with five points like a star.||A neck wearing pendent like an ornament|
|Associated with||Spiritual processes and various religious symbols||Magic and witchcraft|
|Modern use||In flags and emblems||In fashion design and tarot cards|
What is Pentagram?
Pentagram is one of the simplest geometric forms of star polygon. It is also known as a five-pointed star.
This geometric shape is made up of fifteen line segments. This shape also includes ten points.
Five of these points are five vertices of the inner pentagon and five points of the star.
The origination of this symbol can be found in ancient Sumerian scripts with the name of “Pentemychos”, which means five corners. Later on, ancient Greek civilization had adopted this symbol and called it “Pentagrammon”, from where the word pentagram derived.
Various religious faiths consider the pentagram symbol sacred. They believe this symbol is blessed with purity and protect life from evil powers.
Ancient Chinese tradition considers it a symbol of life, where five corners represent five elements of life. In Judaism faith, this symbol represents five holy books, which are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.
Celtic religion and some branches of Christianity (Wiccans) also consider this symbol holy. In modern occultism, it is used as an apotropaic charm, where it offers protection against evil spirits.
In recent time various nation like Morocco and Ethiopia has adopted this symbol on their flag. The Dutch city of Haaksbergen and the Japanese city of Nagasaki use this symbol as an emblem.
What is Pentacle?
Pentacle is a star-shaped pentagram surrounded by a circle. In this symbol the circle required to make a uniform shape and touch or should have even distance from all points of the pentagram.
It is a unique geometrical shape that is associated with various mystical powers and rituals.
According to various historic documents, the first use of this symbol can be found in 1328. The word pentacle derived from French phrases.
The Latinized version of this word is “Pentaculum”. The meaning of the word “Pentaculum” is a neck wearing pendent like an ornament.
Traditionally this symbol is used to evoke magical powers and drawn on the floor, paper, cloth, and metals. During the middle age period, it was also associated with witchcraft activity. In modern society, it has become a symbol of spiritual studies.
For this reason, the reference of this symbol can be seen in various movies and TV shows.
In recent times this symbol can be found in various fashion designs and tarot cards. The tarot cards are one type of future prediction cards often used by some astrologers.
Many people also place this symbol outside of their house for good luck.
Main Differences Between Pentagram and Pentacle
- The pentagram is one of the simplest geometric forms of star polygon consists of fifteen line segments which is associated with spiritual processes and various religious symbols. On the other hand, a pentacle is a star-shaped pentagram surrounded by a circle that is associated with magic and witchcraft.
- The origin of the pentagram symbol is very ancient. According to various historical findings, it has been established that the symbol is derived from ancient Sumerian scripts. However, the pentacle symbol is relatively new and it derives from French words.
- The ancient name of the pentagram is “Pentagrammon”, while the ancient name of the pentacle is “Pentaculum”.
- The word pentagram translates to “A geometric figure with five points like a star”. On the other hand, the word pentacle translates to “A neck wearing pendent like ornament”.
- The pentagram symbol is associated with spiritual processes and various religious symbols. However, the pentacle symbol is associated with magic and witchcraft.
- In modern times the pentagram symbol can be found on various flags and emblems. But, the pentacle symbol can be found in fashion design and tarot cards.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️