There are a large number of words that are termed homophones since they sound the same when spoken but have completely different and distinct meanings.
Raise and Raze are two such words which when pronounced, appear to be the same but have different meanings when used in various sentences.
Raise vs Raze
The difference between raise and raze is that raise is a verb that has a large number of meanings like lifting a particular object, increasing a particular thing, and bringing up and looking after a person or an animal is also a meaning of raise whereas raze typically has a single meaning of destroying a particular structure.
One of the major things to keep in mind is that raise is a transitive verb as it requires the support of another action as well to raise a particular thing. The word raise has a large number of meanings that can be interpreted in various ways.
Raze is a word that is not used in sentences very frequently but indicates and refers to the process of destroying and demolishing a particular structure like bridges, houses, and buildings.
The word raze has a limited number of applications; hence not many people are aware of its usage.
|Parameters of Comparison||Raise||Raze|
|Meaning||Raise is one of the common words that refer to lifting an object, bringing up and helping to grow, and increasing the scope of a particular object and activity.||Raze is an uncommon word that has a single meaning of destroying or demolishing a particular structure.|
|Number of Applications||There are a large number of applications of the word ‘raise’ as it can be used in various sentences.||There are limited applications of the word ‘raze’ as it has very few uses.|
|Synonyms||The synonyms of the word ‘raise’ are to lift, increase, and escalate.||The synonyms of the word ‘raze’ are to destroy, neutralize, and knock down a particular structure.|
|Nature||Raise is mostly used as a verb but can also be used as a noun in certain cases.||Raze is always used as a verb wherever it is used.|
|Examples||An example where raise is used is:-|
One of the major policies of this government is to raise the taxation slab for the higher-income class.
|An example where raze is used:-|
The atomic bombing of Hiroshima by the Americans razed the entire district in a few minutes.
What is Raise?
Raise is one of the most used transitive verbs that is used in various sentences to indicate a large number of events.
Raise is used in sentences for indicating an increase in the domain of a particular event, lifting a particular object, and bringing up an individual.
The word ‘raise’ has a large number of applications and uses in various sentences. One of the major features of ‘raise’ is its dual nature that it can be used as a verb and also as a noun. Some examples where ‘raise’ is used to lift a particular object are:-
- Raman raised his glass of water to have a sip.
- Rahul has always raised the bar of this debate to another level.
Some instances where ‘raise’ is used to increase something are:-
- Heena requested the management to raise her salary so that she could meet her expenses.
- Teena warned Siddharth not to raise his voice against her.
Some examples where ‘raise’ is used to indicate looking after individuals and animals are:-
- Rita was raised by her grandmother after both her parents passed away in an accident.
- The red soil is not suitable to raise a large number of feeder crops.
What is Raze?
Raze is a word that sounds exactly similar to the word ‘raise’ but differs from it in various aspects. Raze is an uncommon word that means destroying, demolishing, and neutralizing various structures like buildings, houses, and bridges.
The various sentences in which ‘raze’ is used are:-
- The labourers completely razed the previous building for building it in a new style.
- Many monuments and heritage sites have been razed to the ground by the invaders that attacked India in the past.
- The bombing of Palestine by the army of Israel razed off the entire capital city of Palestine.
Yes, it is true that there are not many applications and uses of the word ‘raze’. It is only used as a verb and not as a noun. The most popular synonyms of the word ‘raze’ are destroying, demolishing, and knocking down a particular structure.
Main Differences Between Raise and Raze
- Raise is one of the most common words that refer to lifting an object, bringing up an individual or animal, and increasing the dimension of a particular event, whereas raze refers to the process of destroying, knocking off, and demolishing a particular structure.
- The number of applications of the word ‘raise’ is numerous. On the other hand, the word ‘raze’ has few applications and uses.
- Lift, increase, and escalate are some of the popular synonyms of the word ‘raise’, whereas destroy, demolish, and knock off are some of the famous synonyms of the word ‘raze’.
- ‘Raise’ is used in almost all the sentences as a verb and sometimes as a noun, whereas ‘raze’ is only used as a verb and not as a noun.
- The government is planning to raise the taxes on the upper-class individuals is an example of the word ‘raise’. On the other hand, Hiroshima was razed off by the bombings of the US is an example of the word ‘raze’.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️