The ATX and the BTX are the two versions of the motherboard that are designed to provide the best experience to the users. The motherboard is like the heart of the computer as it consists of many components that make the computer function properly.
- ATX is a motherboard form factor introduced in 1995 and is still used today.
- BTX is a newer motherboard form factor introduced in 2004 but has been largely replaced by other standards.
- ATX motherboards are generally larger and have more expansion slots, while BTX motherboards are designed for better cooling and quieter operation.
ATX vs BTX
ATX is a motherboard form factor developed by Intel in 1995 and is commonly used in PC builds. It has specific measurements and features, including a 24-pin power connector, PCI and PCI Express slots, and support for multiple storage devices. BTX (Balanced Technology eXtended) is a motherboard form factor that is designed to improve thermal management and system cooling. It was developed by Intel.
The introduction of BTX was an advancement in the technology used in the ATX and overcame the heating issue of the ATX board by maximizing the cooling process of the processors used in the computer.
|Parameters of Comparison||ATX||BTX|
|Full form||The full form of ATX is Advanced Technology eXtended.||The full form of BTX is Balanced Technology eXtended.|
|Definition||The ATX motherboard was introduced to replace the earlier AT design.||The BTX motherboard was introduced so as to maximize the cooling of the processor used.|
|Airflow||It is less in ATX.||It is more in BTX.|
|IO Port||The IO port is situated on the top of an ATX board.||The IO port is situated on the bottom of a BTX board.|
|Usage||The ATX is more used in desktops.||The BTX is rarely used in desktops.|
What is ATX?
The ATX motherboard or the Advanced Technology eXtended, is popular in desktop cases. The ATX was launched by Intel in 1995 to replace the earlier AT design.
The design of motherboard components in the ATX somehow blocks the airflow. This leads to heating problems in the device. The memory modules in the ATX are aligned vertically, blocking the airflow.
Also, the input-output or the IO ports in the ATX are designed to be on the top of the motherboard. All these arrangements contribute to blocking the flow of air.
Even though the ATX cooling is inefficient, it is still a widely used motherboard as people have already purchased the ATX systems and do not want to switch to the newer version of ATX, which is BTX.
Also, Intel made changes in lowering the CPU’s power usage, continuing with the ATX design.
What is BTX?
The BTX motherboard or the Balanced Technology eXtended is the newer ATX or the Advanced Technology eXtended motherboard. This change was brought by Intel ten years after the introduction of the ATX to maximize the cooling of the processors.
It was introduced to reduce the heating issues found in the latest processors. The BTX is designed in such a way to promote the amount of flow of air by reducing the obstacles on the way and hence maximize the cooling of the processors used.
The design of the BTX motherboard components allows the flow of air, and for that location of the components is modified. The memory modules are arranged horizontally on the BTX motherboards.
A specially designed air funnel has been allocated at the front of the board in place of the processor to easily take air from the front side of the case and blow the drawn air onto the processor.
The positions of IO ports and the add-on slots have been changed too. The input-output or the IO ports in the BTX motherboard are now located on the top of the board, and the add-on slots are now available on the bottom.
These are still in the same line to maximize the airflow in the case. Despite the advancement in the BTX motherboard, it can be rarely seen on desktops. This is because the people have already purchased the ATX systems and do not wish to change to BTX.
BTX is more costly as compared to ATX. Also, Intel reduced the CPU’s power usage, reducing the heat produced and making ATX effective.
Main Differences Between ATX and BTX
- ATX motherboard is the predecessor of BTX, designed to replace the earlier AT design. On the other hand, the BTX motherboard is the newer version of ATX, and it is designed to maximize the cooling of the processor used.
- The full form of ATX is the Advanced Technology eXtended. On the other hand, the full form of BTX is Balanced Technology eXtended.
- The flow of air is less in the design of the ATX motherboard. On the other hand, the flow of air is more in the design of the BTX motherboard.
- The IO port is situated on the top of an ATX board. On the other hand, the IO port is situated on the bottom of a BTX board.
- The use of ATX motherboards is more in desktops. On the other hand, BTX motherboards are rarely seen on desktops.
- The ATX motherboard does not require a special arrangement in the design of motherboard components to maximize cooling. On the other hand, the BTX motherboard requires a special arrangement in the design of motherboard components to maximize cooling.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.