Everybody wants their profit. Therefore, people have invented so many ways or methods with the help of which they can easily calculate their profit or loss. And if you are in the share market, you should always know these basic methods because they might benefit you in the long term.
There are two ways that companies use to calculate their profit that is Basic EPS and Diluted EPS. Small companies use Basic EPS with a less complex financial structure, and Diluted EPS is used by companies with very complex financial structures.
But for a clear image, both of these methods are used by the companies.
- Basic EPS is calculated by dividing net income by the average number of outstanding common shares.
- Diluted EPS considers the potential dilution of shares due to convertible securities, options, and warrants.
- Diluted EPS provides a more conservative measure of a company’s earnings performance and is generally lower than basic EPS.
Basic EPS vs Diluted EPS
Basic earnings per share (EPS) is used to measure a company’s profitability calculated by dividing a company’s income or profit by a certain number of outstanding shares. Diluted EPS measures profitability by including convertible shares, such as employee stock options, in its calculation.
Basic EPS (Earnings per share) is a calculation method shown in the company’s income statement, and it tells about the amount of net income that was allocated to each ordinary share of the company. It includes basic methods, and business with small financial structure uses this method.
Diluted EPS is used by companies having very complicated and high economic structures. It includes common shares, stock options, debts, warrants, etc. As it also includes convertible shares, the value of measures may vary.
This method converts the securities. That’s why the Diluted EPS is always less than Basic EPS.
|Parameters of Comparison||Basic EPS||Diluted EPS|
|Definition||This is a method that is used by companies to find out their company per equity share.||It is a method with the help of which companies find out the ESP of the company per convertible share.|
|Aim||Its purpose is to find out the profitability of the company.||It also aims to find out companies’ profitability, but it also includes convertible securities.|
|Complexity||It is a very easy method and does not include complex methods.||It is very complex, and expert skills are needed to use this method.|
|Includes||It only includes common shares.||It includes common shares, stock options, debts, and warrants, etc.|
|Projections||It provides real-time projections. And mainly used for current calculations.||It provides a futuristic image. And also useful for conservative calculations.|
|Accurateness||More accurate since the denominator includes only common shares.||Less accurate since the denominator includes common as well as convertible shares.|
What is Basic EPS?
Basic EPS tells about the current scenario and is mainly used for real-time calculations. It is calculated by subtracting net income from preferred dividends and dividing the whole by the average common shares. This method is basically for easy financial structures.
Basic EPS only includes common shares; therefore, the calculation made is more accurate as compared to the Diluted EPS calculations. In this method of profit calculation, the effect of equity dilution is not considered.
This method of calculation is not much popular as it does not include convertible shares.
Basic EPS mostly targets the profitability of the company, but companies with complicated financial structures consider both Basic as well as Diluted EPS to get a clear image of their profit gain.
What is Diluted EPS?
Diluted EPS is used in complex financial calculations and is mostly used by big companies with high economic status. The calculation made with the help of this method gives a clear picture of futuristic profit statements. It does not help much in current calculations.
These Dilutive securities can be converted to common stocks or ordinary shares. These conversions in securities decares the earning per share; therefore, diluted EPS is slightly lower than the EPS.
Main Differences Between Basic EPS and Diluted EPS
- Basic EPS is a method that is used by companies to find out their company per equity share. On the other hand, Diluted EPS is a method with the help of which companies find out the ESP of the company per convertible share.
- Diluted EPS is less accurate since the denominator includes common as well as convertible shares. In contrast, Basic EPS is more accurate since the denominator includes only common shares.
- Basic EPS is a very easy method and does not include complex methods. While Diluted EPS is very complex, and expert skills are needed to use this method.
- Basic EPS only includes common shares. In contrast, Diluted EPS is more complex and includes common shares, stock options, debts, warrants, etc.
- Diluted EPS provides a futuristic image and is also useful for conservative calculations. In contrast, Basic EPS provides real-time projections and is mainly used for current calculations.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.