By vs With
A sentence is a set of words, phrases, or clauses that contains the subject which describes the meaning, command, questions, performance, action, and so on with linking words.
English grammar includes the sentences, articles, punctuations, tenses, mood, voice, and parts of speech and many other technical aspects of writing and speaking.
A preposition is a word followed by nouns and pronouns, which links the words within sentences. Preposition plays the role of connecting people, things, location, and duration of a sentence. Some of the prepositions are like in, at, on, besides, after, before, until, unless, by, and with so on.
By and with both are prepositions. By and with can show how something can be done. By and with plays a different role in the active and passive voice, sometimes by can replace by with, in passive voice sentence. Active voice sentence most of the time, by follows a verb and whereas, with follows a noun.
Active voice means where the subject performs on the verb’s action and passive voice means subject acted by a verb.
By is a preposition and acts as an adverb, adjective and noun sometimes. By normally indicates the who acts. With is also preposition, which means express and what was used to act.
The main difference between By and With is, By is used in a passive sentence (Voice) which explains someone’s action and With, is mostly used in Active sentences (Voice) which explains what was the action used to perform.
|Parameter of Comparison||By||With|
|Function||It explains someone’s action or who performed the action||It explains what was used to perform the action|
|Indication||‘By’ can indicate a person, institution, animal, or object||‘With’ can indicate ingredients, tools, or part of the body|
|In Phrases||It is followed by a verb||It is Followed by Noun|
|Grammar||It is a preposition, it also acts as Noun, Adverb, and adjective||It is a Preposition word|
|Voice - Grammar||It is mainly used in Passive voice sentence construction||It is used in Active voice sentence|
When to Use By?
By is a preposition, we use ‘by’ to show someone who has done something or performed an action. It can also be used as a noun, adverb, and adjective. It can be used in several situations to express someone’s action.
When the word ‘by’ is used in a sentence, it is always in the passive voice. The action performed by a person or things usually showed at the end of the sentence by using the preposition BY.
- Milan paid bills by using credit card
- We sent money by money order
By – to show when someone’s action or done
- Riya encouraged the team by joining
- The car is driven by Sheena
By – to show someone how something is to be done
- Milan paid bills by using credit card
- Whenever I travel by bus, I always go to club class
By – used to show when a person or things next to them or near
- Ayaan was by my side in the whole journey
- Lara just passed by the bus
By – used describe situation later than, before, or at
- Amazon promised to deliver by 5 o’clock
- I have to make payment by this weekend
By – When describing amount, hours, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day
- COVID – 19 positive cases are increasing day by day
- His salary will increase by 30%
By – used to describe someone’s nature, profession, and agree to the situation
- She is a doctor by profession
- She was looking gorgeous by wearing a white dress
When to Use With?
The word ‘with’ is a Preposition, it used to indicate the connection between the things and people. It also explains where the objects are located, the association, and what was the action performed.
‘With’ do not explain who did the action, but it explains what action was performed. With is always used to explain or describe objects that were used to perform any action. The sentence usually will be in Active Voice.
‘With’ – is used to indicate that when people or things are together or doing something together.
- Ayaan was with Sheena when she visited the hospital
- The car was with Avin when I met him
With – used when something or someone is included in doing something or acting.
- She wiped the water on the table with cloth
- I saw a beautiful girl in the market with long hair
With – used in the different phrases at the beginning at the end of letter
- With love, John
- With best wishes. Hima
With – used to indicate the relation between the Person or things
- She was very honest with him
- He carries a gun always with him for safety purposes.
With – used to indicate situations against something or because of or caused by something or someone
- She has fought with her mother to go to Goa
- With all this nonsense I forgot his birthday
With – used to describe separation, comparison, support followed by
- Sheen ended her long-time relationship with her boyfriend
- They both are twins. But nothing is common with them
- I will always be with you on your tough time
- Will get conditioner free along with the shampoo
Main Differences Between By and With
- The main difference between By and With is in the type of sentence each will feature. ‘By’ is always used in the sentences with passive voice whereas the latter features in active voice sentences.
- Any institution, object or a person is denoted using the word ‘By’, but ‘With’ is primely utilized to denote ingredients, tools, or any part of the body.
- By is followed by a verb as it indicates an action on the subject. Whereas ‘With’ is followed by a Noun.
- The different grammatical forms that these words represent also differs, By is not only a preposition, it can also be used as a noun, adjective and an adverb while ‘With’ is a preposition and remains the same in any situation.
- ‘By’ is the word mainly used to indicate a person or a thing responsible for action while ‘With’ is the word used to denote something that is required to do the act.
Normally, we all make mistakes with ‘by’ and ‘with’, both are preposition and used in active and passive voice sentences. ‘By’ is a preposition, adverb, adjective, and noun. While With is a preposition. By is used to indicates someone’s action and with is indicates what was used to act and accompanied by something or someone.
Learning differences of By and With makes us understand and avoid making mistakes. Both words are used anywhere in sentences with different circumstances. The usage of words primarily requires impeccable vocabulary. Understanding the instances to use the words is also an art of speaking. The blend of these two can make a person a good grammarian too.
Word Cloud for Difference Between By and With
The following is a collection of the most used terms in this article on By and With. This should help in recalling related terms as used in this article at a later stage for you.