Both CBT and REBT are used to treat mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression and behavioural disorder. Even though they treat the same issues, they have different methods and procedures to reach their goals.
Their ultimate goal is to give healthy mental health, but they take different approaches and attitudes to accomplish their objectives.
- CBT focuses on identifying and modifying maladaptive thoughts, while REBT addresses irrational beliefs that cause emotional distress.
- REBT utilizes a more philosophical approach, while CBT employs a problem-solving orientation.
- REBT founder Albert Ellis developed the ABC model, whereas Aaron Beck, the founder of CBT, emphasized the cognitive triad.
CBT vs REBT
The difference between CBT and REBT is that CBT aims to change the current negative and destructive behaviour of someone, and REBT targets to change the negative and lethal perspective or belief of someone. CBT is a vast method that gets its base from REBT and REBT is one particular set method.
CBT a is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a therapy through which one’s current negative behaviour can be replaced with a positive and wholesome one. It is a vast method that includes many other specific processes under it.
Its main focus is to change behaviour.
REBT is Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy. With this therapy, someone’s deep-seated beliefs and notions can be uprooted. This therapy helps to see life and the world in a new light.
This helps to abandon toxic thoughts and impressions. It enables one to accept oneself unconditionally.
|Parameters of Comparison||CBT||REBT|
|Full form||CBT means Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.||REBT means Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy.|
|Modification||This therapy is used to change a person’s current behaviour.||This therapy is utilized to modify a person’s underlined belief.|
|Focus||This therapy focuses on changing behaviour.||This therapy focuses on the irritational behaviour of the person.|
|Approach||This therapy takes a collaborative approach.||This therapy takes up a confrontational approach.|
|Point of View||It undertakes a fictional point of view towards a complication.||It undertakes a philosophical point of view towards a complication.|
What is CBT?
CBT, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is a psychotherapeutic method. This therapy method can be utilised to treat various mental health problems such as depression and anxiety disorders.
These two have become two very common issues in recent times. CBT can effectively control these two conditions.
This cognitive behavioural therapy believes that thoughts, feelings, and behaviour have a connection. All these are interconnected. Using this idea, we can explain how our thoughts have the power to determine our mood, feeling, and behaviour.
All these share a closed relationship. Psychology gives impotence to our thoughts and uses this method. A psychologist observes the function of our thoughts. Our thoughts influence our behaviour and mood.
Thoughts can commence changes not only in the body but in the mind as well.
CBT improves the dire situation that mental health issues cause. This therapy provides relief from suffering.
It points out the negative thoughts, and then it gets solved by the therapist. It also offers an overall improvement and helps to lead a healthy life.
What is REBT?
REBT, or Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy, was proposed in 1955 by a psychologist named Albert Ellis. According to Ellis, people have different notions about themselves and the world as well.
Different environments and surroundings cause differences in our opinion and beliefs. In many cases, these beliefs are irrational. And these beliefs determine our actions and behaviours.
So if a person has negative beliefs, then that person can not have a healthy life.
By utilising REBT, a person can be helped to overcome overwhelming negative notions. This therapy method has a technique called ABC Model, which is used to negate irrational beliefs.
Not only for mental disorders, but REBT is also capable of encouraging people to win over difficult situations. REBT takes up a philosophic angle towards the emotional disturbance.
REBT also helps to unravel self-esteem problems. It develops the ground on which one can accept oneself unconditionally. REBT can also play an important role in anger management.
Negative, self-destructive thoughts, anger, anxiety, depression, and anything related to mental health can be found its treatment in this therapy. Case of suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, childhood trauma and sexual abuse shows the effective outcome of REBT.
Main Differences Between CBT and REBT
- The full form of CBT is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and the full form of REBT is Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy.
- CBT method is used when the aim is to change a person’s current negative behaviour, which is becoming an obstacle towards prosperous mental health, whereas REBT is used when a person’s underlying beliefs and notions need to get a modification for a better lifestyle.
- On the one hand, CBT concentrates on changing negative behaviour, and on the other hand, REBT concentrates on the irritational thoughts and behaviour of someone.
- CBT is a vast method that includes many separate subdivisions. CBT is based on the foundation of REBT and CT. But REBT is a particular therapy method that is not vast but to the point.
- CBT has a collaborative procedure towards the problem, while REBT has a confrontational strategy.
- CBT goes forward with a fictional attitude, but REBT is more concerned about the philosophical temperament of a problem.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.