Time and again microwave have proved to be one of the most useful home appliances to ever have been invented. With the advancement in technology, more and more varieties of microwaves are available in the market that has many unique features.
Table of Contents
As more and more people are choosing to have one in their home, a major dilemma that is faced is that of countertop and built-in microwave. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages and unique features.
Countertop Microwave vs Built-in Microwave
The difference between a countertop microwave and built-in microwave is that the countertop microwave can be placed on top of the kitchen counter while the built-in microwave is installed into a wall or a corner of the cabinet.
|Parameter of Comparison||Countertop Microwave||Built-in Microwave|
|Functionality||A countertop oven is placed on the countertop of a kitchen near a power outlet||A built-in microwave is installed in a kitchen wall or kitchen cabinet|
|Versatility||It is portable, can be moved around from place to place in the kitchen and even packed for travel||It is not portable. It is installed permanently and can not be removed except to be replaced|
|Cost||It is cheaper and more common, requires no installation charges or high maintenance cost||It is more expensive, requires installation by a professional, needs to be maintained, and needs replacement of the whole unit when it stops working|
|Space Required||It requires space on the kitchen countertop, near a power outlet and cannot be tucked away out of sight in a corner||It does not require any space on the kitchen counter as it is installed in a wall or cabinet and thus leaves the rest of the kitchen space free for use|
|Installation||It does not require any installation; it works on the simple and buys and use right away basis||It requires to be installed in the wall or cabinet where it will remain by a licensed professional and requires a licensed professional to remove it for replacement when it stops working|
What is Countertop Microwave?
A countertop microwave is a microwave which is designed to be placed on the kitchen countertop. It occupies some space on the kitchen counter. It is portable, so perfect for users in temporary homes or who move often.
A countertop microwave is versatile as it can be moved around according to the user’s need and even packed easily.
It is cheaper because it does not need any installation – just an electrical power outlet and a suitable place on the kitchen counter. It is very common and often preferred by people.
However, a countertop microwave takes up space on the countertop, which can sometimes be inconvenient, especially in small kitchens where not much space is available.
It performs all the basic functions of a microwave and there are many different designs available in countertop microwave.
Repairing a countertop microwave is always very easy and comparatively cheaper because it can be taken to the shop and inspected much easily. Replacing parts is also much easier in countertop microwaves.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
||TOSHIBA ML-EM45P(BS) Countertop Microwave Oven with Smart Sensor and Position Memory Turntable,...||Check Price on Amazon|
|TOSHIBA EM131A5C-SS Countertop Microwave Oven, 1.2 Cu Ft with 12.4" Turntable, Smart Humidity Sensor...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Farberware Countertop Microwave 1.1 Cu. Ft. 1000-Watt Compact Microwave Oven with LED lighting,...||Check Price on Amazon|
What is Built-in Microwave?
A built-in microwave is installed in the kitchen wall or cabinet. It is neatly tucked away and thus does not take much space. A built-in microwave is however more permanent and not portable.
It cannot be taken out or moved from one place to another. Thus, it is preferred by permanent and settled homeowners who have no plans of moving.
It blends with the kitchen well and enhances the aesthetics and design of the kitchen while staying out of the way conveniently. A built-in microwave is expensive and will require installation by a licensed expert. It also requires high maintenance.
Repairing a built-in microwave is rather difficult and the entire unit will require replacement if it stops working.
Similarly, it will require maintenance and an expert to handle it in case of any defects and difficulties.
It can be installed in a wall or high cabinet so it is often installed at eye level or any other such convenient position. This also keeps it safely away from the reach of children while making it fun and convenient to use.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN966S Stainless Steel Countertop/Built-In with Inverter Technology and...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN686S Stainless Steel Countertop/Built-In with Inverter Technology and...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Frigidaire Professional FPMO227NUF 24 Built-In Microwave with 2.2 cu. ft. Capacity 1200 Watts...||Check Price on Amazon|
Main Differences Between Countertop Microwave and Built-in Microwave
- A countertop microwave is placed on a kitchen counter while a built-in microwave is installed into a kitchen wall or kitchen cabinet. So, a countertop microwave takes up space on the kitchen countertop closer to a power supply outlet. A built-in microwave blends in with the kitchen and leaves a lot of free space on the counter.
- A countertop microwave is portable. It can be easily shifted around in the kitchen and even packed and repacked while moving and shifting. A built-in microwave does not have this benefit and it is installed permanently. It cannot be taken out except for replacement, in that case, the whole until will be replaced.
- Owing to the installation, maintenance and versatility built-in microwaves are more expensive as compared to countertop microwaves.
- A countertop microwave can only be placed on a countertop near a power supply outlet and thus takes up space. It stands out in the kitchen. A built-in microwave is tucked away into a corner of the cabinet or the wall neatly and thus does not require space on the countertop of the kitchen and blends in with the kitchen very easily.
- No installation is required for the countertop microwave, it can just be simply bought from the store and used. A built-in microwave, however, needs to be installed into the cabinet or wall by a licensed electrician before it can be used.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Last update on 2022-12-02 / Amazon Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API