When we often ask people about the difference between faith and belief, they usually tell us that both words have the same meanings or the same thing. But there exists a significant difference between them.
Faith vs Belief
The difference between faith and belief is that faith is a trust in something or someone, and belief is a mental state where trust is placed in something or a person. Faith is generally used to refer to belief. Religion is used for general contexts. Faith is a divine trust in religion, but belief may or may not be as strong as faith.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Faith is trust in something very strongly. In the context of religion, faith is defined as a belief in a God or teachings of religion. Faith is an assurance of things that we hope for but have not received yet.
A belief always comes from different sources like a person’s own experience, acceptance of cultural and social norms, or belief in something that other people say.
|Parameters of Comparison||Faith||Belief|
|Definition||Strongly trust on something||State of mind in which trust is placed on something maybe without any proof|
|Usage||Mostly used for religion.||Mostly used in general contexts.|
|Strongness||Strong trust in religion||It may or may not be as strong as faith|
|Devotion||Imply devotion||This does not imply devotion|
|Dependence||Faith does not depend on proof||Belief may depend on proof|
What is Faith?
Faith is a system of religious belief that is based on no proof. It is usually considered a spiritual concept. It is also defined as a belief in something or something.
Faith is all about believing in the things which we can’t see or feel but at the same time, they are true. Faith is nothing but a belief without any authentication.
● Knowledge: The first question always comes to mind is, “How can we have faith in something without even seeing it?” But measurable knowledge is essential to faith.
● Trust: Faith is interrelated with trust. Faith involves trusting in something that cannot be proved by any clue. Faith without trust is nothing.
● Belief: Faith is based on belief. Belief in religion is defined by the concepts taught in a particular religion that is true. Belief is not as powerful as faith.
What is Belief?
Belief is a feeling of certitude that something that exists is true or good. It is based on revelation, trust, or confidence. This word is often used for religion.
Belief depicts trust in a person, concepts, or even belief in God. Belief never implies devotion. Belief is a temporary concept about the trust in a person for a select time frame.
● Religious Belief: Religious belief is associated with religion. It is associated with the supernatural natural power and the universe we exist in.
● Spiritual Belief: Spiritual belief usually includes the perspective of life, the nature of reality, and death.
Everybody has beliefs about many perspectives of life. It is a feeling of being sure that the person or a thing is true or not or trustworthy. Even the beliefs of humans come and go from time to time.
Main Differences Between Faith and Belief
- Faith is a product of the spirit, while belief is a game of mind.
- Faith is an attitude of acceptance. On the other hand, belief is an attitude of assuming something or about a person.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.