Livescribe 3 is a heavier model weighing approximately 1.2 oz. while Aegir is much lighter than the Livescribe 3 model. The compact design of the Aegir model makes it easier to use as well as a much smoother choice. Livescribe 3’s design makes it much more difficult to write.
- Livescribe 3 is a smartpen that digitizes handwritten notes and audio recordings, while Aegir is a newer model with a more modern design and updated features.
- Aegir has a longer battery life and improved connectivity options, allowing for easier syncing and sharing of notes. In contrast, Livescribe 3 has more advanced features like handwriting recognition and audio search.
- Both pens require a special paper with embedded dots to track the pen’s movements and enable digitization. Both are compatible with the Livescribe+ app for organization and sharing of notes.
Livescribe 3 vs Aegir
The difference between Livescribe 3 and Livescribe Aegir is that the former model’s design is bulkier than the latter model. Livescribe 3 is a thicker smartpen as the ink cartridges take up a considerable amount of place inside the pen. Conversely, Aegir improves on design elements of the Livescribe 3 by introducing several changes that make this smartpen sleeker and easier to navigate.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
|Parameters of Comparison||Livescribe 3||Livescribe Aegir|
|Design||Livescribe 3 is a bulkier smartpen than the Aegir model. This affects the navigability of the pen severely.||Aegir is a much sleeker and compact smartpen model that is known for its user-friendly design elements.|
|Ink Cartridge||The Livescribe 3 model uses a Tungsten carbide ballpoint ink cartridge.||Aegir uses a standard D1 style ink cartridge.|
|Price||Livescribe 3 is a pricey smartpen.||Livescribe Aegir is a lucrative smartpen model.|
|Weight||Livescribe 3 weighs approximately 1.2 oz.||Aegir weighs approximately just under a pound at 0.88 oz.|
|Dimensions||Livescribe 3 measures 169×14.9mm.||Aegir measures a total of 0.5×5.9 inches.|
|Colors Available||Black and chrome are the two color variants available for the Livescribe 3 model.||The Aegir model is available in teal and purple colors.|
|Ease of Writing||Difficult to navigate. Efficacy of the writing is affected.||Comparatively smoother.|
|Battery Life||Livescribe 3 offers a battery life of 14 hours.||Aegir offers a battery life of 10 hours.|
|Compatibility||Initially compatible only with the iOS platform.||Compatible with both the iOS and Android platforms.|
What is Livescribe 3?
Livescribe 3 is a formidable smartpen model manufactured and marketed by the renowned company Livescribe. It helps the user digitize their respective copies of class notes with fleeting efficacy.
The Livescribe+ app is a free application launched by the brand that helps this digitization process by automatically syncing the penned writing with the user’s paired device.
Operating on a Bluetooth connectivity empowered interface, the smartpen has to be used on proprietary dot paper. When this range was initially launched, its compatibility was limited to iOS devices like iPhones and iPads.
However, from 2015 onwards, the compatibility of the product has been extended to the android platform as well.
The pen operates on an ARM 9 processor. It is equipped with an infrared camera, Bluetooth 4.0, and a powerful lithium-ion rechargeable battery that powers the device for 14 hours.
However, the bulky design of the smartpen is a drawback. Moreover, the lack of an internal built-in microphone is also a pitfall of an otherwise quality product.
What is Livescribe Aegir?
Livescribe Aegir is the notable successor to the Livescribe 3 model. This smartpen has addressed the most pressing design issues with its predecessor. The sleek design of this smartpen makes it much more user-friendly and efficient.
Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, this lightweight, portable, and powerful Aegir model can be instantly paired with the user’s iOS or Android devices to effectively digitize notes.
With a commendable memory strength, the Aegir smartpen can load up to 1200 pages of content. Aegir also has to be used with proprietary dot papers.
The digitized content can also be saved on the cloud in a variety of different formats including PDFs, Word docs, text, or images. This model is also significantly more intuitive than the older versions available from the same brand.
It can transcribe 22 languages in real-time, thereby setting itself a class apart from the other market competitors.
Main Differences Between Livescribe 3 and Aegir
- The main difference between the Livescribe 3 and Aegir models is that the former model is chunkier than the latter model. The design of the Aegir model is much more ergonomic. While the Livescribe 3 model is quite bulky and difficult to navigate.
- The compatibility range offered by each smartpen variant is different. Initially, Livescribe 3 was compatible solely with the user’s iOS 8 or newer versions. However, with the 2015 upgrade, compatibility has been extended to the world of android devices including the Kitkat 4.4.2 or newer updates. Aegir is compatible with both the android and iOS platforms.
- The ink cartridge used by each smartpen differs significantly. The Livescribe 3 model uses a Tungsten carbide ballpoint ink cartridge, while Aegir uses a standard D1 style ink cartridge.
- The dimensions of both the smartpens are also different. While Aegir measures a total of 0.5×5.9 inches, Livescribe 3 measures 169×14.9mm.
- Livescribe 3 weighs approximately 1.2 oz, while Aegir weighs approximately just under a pound.
- Teal and purple are the two available variants of the Aegir model, while Livescribe 3 offers two colors- black and chrome.
- Livescribe 3 offers an extended battery life of 14 hours, while Aegir offers a diminished battery backup of 10 hours.
- The market price of each model is different. The Aegir model is more lucrative than the Livescribe 3 version.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.