Education has proven to be an important aspect of the innovation and development of humankind. It is considered to be an important necessity for living a good life and contributing to society and the world.
- A Master of Arts is a postgraduate degree focusing on humanities, social sciences, and arts-related subjects.
- A Master of Science is a postgraduate degree focusing on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) subjects.
- The main difference between a Master of Arts and a Master of Science is the subject matter and focus of the degree.
Master of Arts vs Master of Science
The Master of Arts degree is awarded in fields such as humanities, social sciences, and arts. The focus of an MA program is on the study of human culture, language, and society. The Master of Science degree is awarded in fields such as natural sciences, engineering, and mathematics. The focus of an MS program is on scientific research and discovery.
Master of Arts is a degree for 2 years of span. It is chosen by individuals interested in subjects other than accounts and science mostly.
It is persuaded by a person who wants a future in science or mathematics field, for example, a doctor, scientist, mathematician, etc. It mainly focuses on experiments and research and requires patience and determination.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Master of Arts
|Master of Science
|Science and maths
|Communication, teaching, literature, etc.
|Biochemistry, engineering, mathematic, etc.
|Teaching, journalist, digital marketer, etc.
|Lab work, scientific research, evaluation, etc.
|Best suited for
|Strong logical and mathematical research.
|Thesis and research
What is Master of Arts?
Master of Arts is a post-graduate degree in Arts that can only be done after completing the undergraduate degree. This degree is available in most colleges all over the world.
Although it contains a wide range of subjects but below are a few skills that aspirants should have for this course:
- Communication skills: this course is largely based on language and literature. There the student must have good communication skills.
- Analytical and creative thinking: some subjects in this course required creative and analytical thinking both.
- Management and problem-solving skills: the student should be able to manage his time and subject schedule and also have problem-solving skills so that he does have to ask for help more frequently.
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to work under pressure: the student must be curious to know more details and information about his subject along with the ability to work under pressure, which can be due to a lot of subjects.
What is Master of Science?
Master of Science is a course for 2 years in the science field that can only be pursued after completing the graduation degree in science.
The main of this course is to specialize the students in the respective subject so that they can achieve the occupation desired by them.
Writing a thesis is an important part of this course, which can be or 6 to 9 units and require deep and extensive research. And laboratories work, and experiments are used by the students to defend this thesis.
Few skills are required in students, who want to pursue this course, such as,
- Patience and determination: it is an important skills that a science student must have as research and successful experiments can take months, if not years.
- Determination and attention to detail: science is a subject where a tiny drop of water can change the entire experiment. Therefore, the student must be attentive and determined.
Main Differences Between Master of Arts and Master of Science
- They are mostly opted by different students with different interests and nature, master of arts is suited for a person who is more creative and is interested in creative thinking and analysis along with communication skills, while a master of science is best for a student with strong logical thinking and who is interested in mathematical research.
- Both of the fields require different things for completing the degree for example, in the master of arts attending seminars is very important as it is the main source of gaining knowledge, whereas in the master of science, writing a thesis and doing research on several topics is the most important task.
Last Updated : 14 August, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.